Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:15:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Camborne as a destination  (Read 12742 times)
Eliza

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 23:49:03 »

Thanks, Fourbee, for the fares information and for Direct Enquiries, which I had a good look at.  It's all grist to the mill.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 18:19:00 »

The nearest bus stop to Charlestown is approx. 3/4 mile from the village.

Lands End bus isn't normally accessible by bus, one of the few route can guarantee a step entrance bus.

25 & 30 Bus stop near Charlestown Chapel close to the Harbour. 
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 18:29:03 »

St Ives and Penzance both have half hourly buses from Camborne, Truro has 10-15 minute interval bus services from Camborne. The bus station is level walk from both train station and Wetherspoons Pub/Hotel. The Penzance/St Ives/Truro buses are 99% wheelchair accessible buses- in times of disruption an older double decker with step entry can sneak onto the service, but I recall this happening once or twice in the last year, and with such a frequency it isn't long to wait for the next one.
All platforms at Penzance, Redruth, Truro, St Austell and Hayle in the west of Cornwall are wheelchair user friendly due to access from the road being available on both sides of the railway line, or in the case of st Austell a new footbridge with lifts.
St Austell also has the luxury of the bus station being adjoined to the railway station so good for changing from bus to train.
St Austell railway station has good connections to Newquay, Fowey and Mevagissey by bus.

St Erth being the exception - it's possible to visit St Ives by train using a wheelchair using the local easement - doubling back to St Erth from Penzance is permitted - last time I looked it was only for stations 'uplong' Truro and beyond. 
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 19:31:11 »

Lands End bus isn't normally accessible by bus, one of the few route can guarantee a step entrance bus.

For some reason I thought that the nearest stop was at the Church (church rd), as the last time I travelled on 25 it didn't go through Duporth road either way, routing Mount Charles roundabout to Charlestown Rd to Church Rd to Carlyon Bay.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Eliza

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 19:53:35 »

St Erth being the exception - it's possible to visit St Ives by train using a wheelchair using the local easement - doubling back to St Erth from Penzance is permitted - last time I looked it was only for stations 'uplong' Truro and beyond. 

Thank you, Chris.  I'd noticed in the journey planner that the day return fare from Camborne to St Ives could be routed via Penzance, and you have confirmed it.  I am guessing that is what you mean by easement.  In fact, I've booked our tickets from Taunton to Camborne.  The advance purchase fare, with Railcard, is only ^8.90 in standard class on a direct, Great Western service.  It seems a bargain.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 22:24:28 »

Thank you, Chris.  I'd noticed in the journey planner that the day return fare from Camborne to St Ives could be routed via Penzance, and you have confirmed it.  I am guessing that is what you mean by easement.  In fact, I've booked our tickets from Taunton to Camborne.  The advance purchase fare, with Railcard, is only ^8.90 in standard class on a direct, Great Western service.  It seems a bargain.

It is a bargain! It is amazing what you can find if you don't mind adapting your plans to fit the cheap seats. It's always worth checking 1st class, which can be cheaper than standard. Not a word outside of this forum, though!

Now, please!
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 22:36:59 »

For some reason I thought that the nearest stop was at the Church (church rd), as the last time I travelled on 25 it didn't go through Duporth road either way, routing Mount Charles roundabout to Charlestown Rd to Church Rd to Carlyon Bay.

I've been caught out up at the Church too - current timetable says an hourly service via Duporth.
(don't forget no public Loo any more)
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 22:54:31 »

The 'easement' is a relaxation of the ticket routing restriction to St Ives to allow for folk who can't use the footbridge at St Erth.

If you did decide to visit St Ives there's not much to choose between train or bus (apart from timing) as you effectively arrive at the same place - if it's at all possible to manage a few steps exit the platform but go forward and right (everyone else will go left) and walk a few paces to the steps to the Beach/Toilets - if you can manage that you are on the flat all the way to St Ives harbour.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 00:13:18 »

The only benefit of the bus is nor having to walk up the big hill from the station.
Train station is at the bottom of a steep hill, bus station is at the top. The town is over the brow of the hill the other side.

Ride Cornwall is excellent value for a days exploring by bus/train at ^10 (8.30railcard) valid on all trains and first buses after 9am.

Mousehole is a nice little village to visit on a nice day, not much there but worth an hour or so on a good afternoon. Always low floor Optare Solo operated as bigger buses can not get into the village. Half hourly service from Penzance. There is a nice pub on the harbour front right beside where the bus terminates.

A day out I often utilise with a ride Cornwall ticket on a nice day is

Catch Bus/train to Penzance just after 9, spend couple hours in Penzance, bus to mousehole spend 1 hour there, back to Penzance and then bus over to st Ives for a few hours.

The 16 route is more scenic than the 17 if you fancy the scenic route from Penzance to st Ives but takes around 20 minutes longer, again due to the narrow route almost always single decker operated so all DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) compliant now.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 00:19:49 »

Ride Cornwall is excellent value for a days exploring by bus/train at ^10 (8.30railcard) valid on all trains and first buses after 9am.

Not forgetting, also valid on Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall routes originating and/or terminating in Cornwall. Just not valid on CityBus journeys wholly within Plymouth.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 00:57:11 »

The only benefit of the bus is nor having to walk up the big hill from the station.
Train station is at the bottom of a steep hill, bus station is at the top. The town is over the brow of the hill the other side.

Mousehole is a nice little village to visit on a nice day, not much there but worth an hour or so on a good afternoon. Always low floor Optare Solo operated as bigger buses can not get into the village. Half hourly service from Penzance. There is a nice pub on the harbour front right beside where the bus terminates.

A day out I often utilise with a ride Cornwall ticket on a nice day is

Catch Bus/train to Penzance just after 9, spend couple hours in Penzance, bus to mousehole spend 1 hour there, back to Penzance and then bus over to st Ives for a few hours.

The 16 route is more scenic than the 17 if you fancy the scenic route from Penzance to st Ives but takes around 20 minutes longer, again due to the narrow route almost always single decker operated so all DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) compliant now.

Ride Cornwall is stunning value when compared to First's ^10 offering for a day on the buses.

16A is my preferred route as you go via Newmill, Gurnards Head & Zennor - teatime can be iffy when the cows are coming in for milking.
Eliza

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 11:07:26 »

My thanks to Chrisoates and richwarwicker for their suggestions for going places by bus and also the detailed instructions for St Ives.  You've given me plenty of material to fill our three days and hopefully by April there will be an end to this rain.
Eliza

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 15:28:24 »

Just to say that our mini-break to Camborne has come and gone.  It was difficult pushing a wheelchair, even with husband walking whenever the way got steep, but, taking heed of suggestions, we went to St Ives by train and to Truro and Falmouth by bus, and took a boat trip from there.  The most unexpected but exciting part of our trip was setting off on Sunday 10 April and finding our railway carriage engulfed by spray at Dawlish.  The train crawled into the station about two hours after the morning high tide but the waves were still impressive.

Camborne's Richard Trevithick Day will be held on Saturday 30 April.  I believe he was a pioneer of steam power but I'm sure others on this forum know more about him.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 21:26:23 »

Thanks for posting that update, Eliza.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Richard Trevithick was indeed one of the great pioneers of steam powered travel - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Trevithick

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 21:32:47 »

Where did you stay in the end?

Maybe a review in the b&b/hotel thread would be helpful to others

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11917.0

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: