Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 07:43:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Bakerloo Line at Paddington  (Read 30702 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2016, 20:01:47 »

It'll be interesting to see how Crossrail The Elizabeth Line changes these long established passenger flows, especially if the WMCL arm to Tring is added to the equation.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2016, 20:17:59 »

It'll be interesting to see how Crossrail The Elizabeth Line changes these long established passenger flows,

Quite dramatically, the Padd Mainline passengers especially the Thames valley passengers who will already be on an Elizebth line train the Bakerloo to Baker St for Jubilee to Canary Warf will cease also any wanting to go to the west end and even for passengers wanting to go north or south will use Farringdon for the Thameslink to Cambridge / Bedford and Brighton etc

especially if the WMCL arm to Tring is added to the equation.

This was muted as part of the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) Euston rebuild which would only really work if Maiden Lane and York Way (Pic line) are rebuilt / reopened, the HS2 Euston rebuild is having a close look at what the impact the rebuild of London Bridge has had to Passengers TOCs (Train Operating Company) LUL (London Underground Ltd) etc.  The Crossrailling of the Tring services did not seem popular with the inhabitants of the Palace of Westminster 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2016, 21:06:57 »

Couldn't agree more. Bring back full-circle circle trains!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2016, 21:08:34 »

I disagree.  For me the banjo line is far more useful. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2016, 21:19:43 »

Proper circle Circle for me too. Hate the walk from low numbered PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) platforms to P16 for H&C/Circle to Baker St and beyond.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2016, 21:36:43 »

In fact, because the number of through trains is low compared to the number of Baker Street terminations, and because when travelling west the variety of destinations is so varied, most commuters from the City will interchange at Baker Street anyway.
No, 2 out of 3 are through services, with the third starting/terminating at Baker Street during the evening peak, with a similar frequency in the morning peak and 3 out of 4 through services during the day.

If terminating all trains at BS allowed the Circle to run enhanced numbers (because points switching is not needed?) then the overall capacity can be increased.
Yes, services could be increased on the northern section but would not have enough capacity 'south' of HSK or Aldgate.

And before anyone thinks I'm down on the Met Line I think the same of the other track-sharers - district and H&C. Interchange for them too and get the Circle running better.
How? H&Cs would have to stop at Paddington with a long walk to the 'Circle' line platforms, or continue to Edgware Road but would still have to 'share' tracks between Praed Street & Edgware Road.

Districts from Wimbledon could terminate at HSK Platforms 3/4 without too many complications but what about passengers from Earls Court heading East or those from Whitechapel heading west?

I have found heading westbound from Victoria that district trains are far busier than those heading on the circle towards NHG/Paddington.

Of course once the signalling improvements come in to force, (2022 I believe) then hopefully more circle line services can be accommodated. 

I disagree.  For me the banjo line is far more useful.
Proper circle Circle for me too. Hate the walk from low numbered PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) platforms to P16 for H&C/Circle to Baker St and beyond.
I sense a poll coming on!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2016, 21:49:35 »

HSK? Hassocks?

NHG?

EDIT: Ahh... after looking at a Tube map I think you are talking about High St Kensington and Notting Hill Gate. Wasn't immediately clear to me though. Even less so to someone reading not familiar with London Underground stations.

Incidentally those two station do have three letter codes as used by National Rail retail and fares systems. ZHS and ZNG.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2016, 22:01:45 »

Incidentally those two station do have three letter codes as used by National Rail retail and fares systems. ZHS and ZNG.

Presumable the Z is either some sort of wild card or it silent. 
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2016, 22:29:11 »

Presumable the Z is either some sort of wild card or it silent. 
AIUI (as I understand it) "Z" is the usual first letter for LU managed stations which have National Rail point to point fares available.  ZFD for Farringdon, ZMG for Moorgate are a couple of others that ring bells...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2016, 10:38:55 »

Returning to the original subject of this thread; from TfL» (Transport for London - about);
Bakerloo line serves Paddington station again from today
01 August 2016
Major improvement work on the Bakerloo line escalators has been completed ahead of schedule
Accompanying major work to boost capacity and pave the way for the new Elizabeth line is now well underway.

Major improvement work at Paddington Tube station to renew the heavily-used escalators serving the Bakerloo line has been completed nearly two weeks ahead of schedule.

It means that the Bakerloo line platforms re-opened to customers today (Monday 1 August 2016) after engineers replaced thousands of moving components of the escalators ahead of time. This gives the two escalators a further 20 years of life, improving their reliability for customers as the number of people using the station continues to rise.

During the work engineers also continued to carefully dig a new 165m tunnel underneath the station in preparation for Elizabeth line services in 2018. The tunnel has connections at platform level for the future escalators and a lift so that customers will be able to easily interchange between the Bakerloo line and the new Elizabeth line services.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2016, 10:53:59 »

Good to see the work finished ahead of schedule.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2016, 16:31:35 »

On Monday (August 1) I had a morning appointment with some lawyers near Fleet St.

As we finished I looked up the TfL» (Transport for London - about) journey planner for its best suggestions about getting back to Paddington (I'd spent the weekend in London). One of the lawyers suggested the Central Line from Chancery Lane to Lancaster Gate. TfL recommended Central Line to Oxford Circus, then Bakerloo to Paddington - so TfL were very much on the ball restoring this link in the database. Ah, says the lawyer, aren't the Bakerloo trains not stopping at Paddington? No, says his colleague - it's all back to normal this morning, except for the sticky labels on the maps in the cars, which still say "Bakerloo trains not stopping at Paddington until mid-August".

You can fix the electronic database instantly, but sticky labels take longer...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2016, 18:59:40 »

When I used to go to Gough Square, off Fleet Street, I used to walk to Blackfriars and catch the Circle Line to Paddington. Was usually less crowded.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2016, 19:59:22 »

When I used to go to Gough Square, off Fleet Street, I used to walk to Blackfriars and catch the Circle Line to Paddington. Was usually less crowded.
When I said "near Fleet Street", what I actually meant was "Gough Square".
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2016, 20:07:38 »

Happy Days. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub four minutes and thirty seconds from work.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: