Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:57:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Philip's Marsh Open Day: May 02, 2016
  • Forum meet W'spoons BRI: May 02, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: St Philip's Marsh Depot Open Day and Coffee Shop forum meetup, Bristol, 2 May 2016  (Read 88292 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2016, 12:04:18 »

As expected, 43002 has been named Sir Kenneth Grange.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2016, 13:35:20 »

For those who plan to turn up at The Knights Templar, you'll find me there already. Toward the back by the telly.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 14:00:05 »

Managed to see all of the exhibits I wanted to before the rain came.

You'll recognise the first one - I was standing next to bignosemac...

adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 15:46:44 »

Wow, the queues to get in at 10:30 this morning! Right back to the roundabout by the fruit & veg market. But all credit to the organisers, it moved, and quickly. Spent a great morning there, and just about managed a bacon butty before the rain came. Spent a bit of time explaining to the little one why we were allowed on the tracks today, when I've always given him the lecture about keeping off  Wink He was more fascinated by the Pandrol clips than the rolling stock, because we have one at home used as a bookend. All in, well worth the trip.

I'd love to know the grand total raised for Springboard today- it must be a sizeable amount.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 16:11:15 »

You'll recognise the first one - I was standing next to bignosemac...

You mean he managed to force himself to leave the pub?   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2016, 17:15:47 »

Coming to a GWR (Great Western Railway) HST (High Speed Train) service near you very soon................

A fitting tribute.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 17:23:33 »

The forecast on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) weather site when I looked yesterday morning was awful between the times I thought I might be there, so I decided to give it a miss.

For those that went, did this
Noteworthy are the appearances by HST (High Speed Train) prototype 41001 and 43040 'Bristol St Philips Marsh' in original BR (British Rail(ways)) HST livery. Hope the latter keeps that livery in traffic for a while.
turn out to be a red herring or was 43040 present as well? If so, was it still in standard FirstGW blue?

43002 looks rather good (thanks for the quick photo uploads folks), although I'm not sure about the nameplate (great choice of name, but the livery doesn't really leave space for such a plate). I see the number is now much less obvious, like with the GWR green power cars .

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2016, 17:23:42 »

Apologies if this is a daft question, but will it be staying in that blue/yellow livery?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2016, 18:01:36 »

I would imagine for the rest of its service with GWR (Great Western Railway).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2016, 18:28:36 »

43002 will be in traffic tomorrow. I doubt there are any plans to repaint it any time soon.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2016, 18:29:47 »

43002 looks rather good (thanks for the quick photo uploads folks), although I'm not sure about the nameplate (great choice of name, but the livery doesn't really leave space for such a plate). I see the number is now much less obvious, like with the GWR green power cars .

The nameplate is actually the correct colour, size and position for the original BR (British Rail(ways)) blue livery.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2016, 20:02:12 »

Here's a video of 43002 coming out of the shed, resplendent in original (ish) BR (British Rail(ways)) blue and yellow:

https://youtu.be/EFbConpac8U

I have rather a lot of pictures from the day. I'll upload some tomorrow after I've taken time to find the best.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2016, 20:49:24 »

The rain had me heading back to Swindon early, but I was punished with a 150 unit failure at Temple Meads and congestion on the M4 for not heading to the spoons meetup. This was my first time at a depot open day / event and I found it really fun.

Here's most of the photos I grabbed today, some need work, but some I'm fairly happy with.  Grin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132934438@N06/albums/72157667877209755

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2016, 21:06:47 »

Some cracking pictures there TomL.

I particularly like the ones which have candidly caught other visitors. It's not all about getting the perfect 3/4 shot of a loco with no interlopers. They can be somewhat clinical shots.

Had I had a camera with decent depth of field capabilities I'd have been looking to get similar shots.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2016, 10:37:17 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) video news report on the open day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36188805

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: