09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:43:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[20] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[20] access for all at Devon stations report
[12] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[10] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 2+7 HST's  (Read 15741 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 16:21:04 »

What will happen to the unreformed buffets that are not used? Huh

If you say "scraped" I'll be annoyed. They are perfectly good carriages!  Angry
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 16:35:48 »

Someone will find a use.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 20:52:29 »

In case anyone has missed it, there was another discussion about HSTs (High Speed Train), TGS and buffet cars, on another thread in this forum - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1619.msg11189#msg11189 onwards.

However, as Btline pointed out (http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1619.msg11443#msg11443 ), that was not particularly relevant to the original purpose of that other thread!

Moderators - if it's not too much work, is it possible to split the above exchange (individual items from http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1619.msg10888#msg10888 onwards, as appropriate?) from that thread to this, to make it more relevant and comprehensive here?

Thanks, Chris.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 20:57:21 »

bring back the buffet cars thats all i have to say.

Plus i swear i've seen a 2+7 already
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 21:03:19 by Shazz » Logged
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 21:50:36 »

bring back the buffet cars thats all i have to say.

Plus i swear i've seen a 2+7 already
Yeh, you would have. Two sets have been going around already. These are new diagramms for the sets or extra sets.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 15:38:45 »

Anyone seen either today?

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Pete

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 18:02:01 »

I've been told that the buffet cars have a filtering system to ensure that the water used for
drinks is suitable for human consumtion. This is not the case with 2 + 7s, there are no filters for the boilers in coaches A & H ( housed where the toilets used to be ). Are FGW (First Great Western) going to remove the 'Not drinking water' notices from the remaining toilets?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 18:06:42 »

Personally I wouldn't dream of drinking water from a train toilet  Shocked
hstch

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 18:13:06 »

Its the same water thats being used to make the hot drinks on the new trolley system - I'll take a flask to work in future!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 18:14:09 »

Bearing in mind that boiled water is safe to drink Wink
hstch

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 18:16:31 »

If its that safe why do buffet cars have a filtering system?
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 18:18:25 »

Someone will find a use.

The trains are leased as a set so the buffet cars will stay with FGW (First Great Western) the saving being made with less fuel being used!

Personally I wouldn't dream of drinking water from a train toilet  Shocked

Water used will have to fit for human consumption so I wouldn't worry about your flask just yet
hstch

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 18:27:14 »

Yep - I work for FGW (First Great Western) and have been advised thar the water has been tested and is safe to use - so no worries there
John R

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 18:45:27 »

The 1530 to Weston was a 2+7, took 2 1/2 hours to Bristol. Very nice cards in the seat back pockets describing the choice (or lack of it) now on offer. Train was rammed past TM(resolve), so trolley would not have been able to get down.

The reduced length didn't seem to make any difference in terms of making up lost time. 30 mins down at Didcot, 40 down by TM. 
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 18:52:53 »

The 1530 to Weston was a 2+7, took 2 1/2 hours to Bristol. Very nice cards in the seat back pockets describing the choice (or lack of it) now on offer. Train was rammed past TM(resolve), so trolley would not have been able to get down.

The reduced length didn't seem to make any difference in terms of making up lost time. 30 mins down at Didcot, 40 down by TM. 
O dear!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: