Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:46:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 2+7 HST's  (Read 15743 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 17:59:16 »

Its timetabled for 110mph running, linespeed 125mph.

Mad really.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 09:47:23 »

Was on the 16:55 from cardiff that was timetabled to be non buffet, aparently the trial has been caned outright

On the plus side, the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) set it was has stupidly comfy seats!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 10:22:26 »

Was on the 16:55 from cardiff that was timetabled to be non buffet, aparently the trial has been caned outright

On the plus side, the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) set it was has stupidly comfy seats!

I sure hope the trial has been canned, now hopefully the unrefurbished buffet cars will go for refurbishment and return with Standard class seats and Tables Smiley Smiley Kiss
John R

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:55 »

Mad really.

Not only mad, but a disgrace when our services are so much slower than 30 years ago. Other routes have huge investment to speed them up. Our TOC (Train Operating Company) can't be bothered to run at linespeed on a large portion of its journey. Presumably it's just an economy measure? Usually the thinking is that the faster you make the services the more people travel and hence the extra cost is justified. So why is the GW (Great Western) Main Line any different?

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 11:26:28 »

Mad really.

Not only mad, but a disgrace when our services are so much slower than 30 years ago. Other routes have huge investment to speed them up. Our TOC (Train Operating Company) can't be bothered to run at linespeed on a large portion of its journey. Presumably it's just an economy measure? Usually the thinking is that the faster you make the services the more people travel and hence the extra cost is justified. So why is the GW (Great Western) Main Line any different?

I think 90% of the travelling public would prefer a slower reliable service than a faster service that will run even later!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 11:35:08 »

Mad really.

I think 90% of the travelling public would prefer a slower reliable service than a faster service that will run even later!

The main considerations for passengers are the Price of the journey and not so much the time taken but realiability of arriving.
Of course if the train takes all day, flying might be considered better, but when cheap tickets from Waterloo to Manchester via Bristol and Shrewsbury were sold on SW&W services they were quick to go. Journey time is only part of the equation.

Also running at less than line speed adds more charter recoverery minutes to the timings hence more trains arrive "on time"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 11:42:23 »

Not STRICTLY true about pricing either though, yes it does come into it but most passengers tell me that they wouldn't mind paying higher fares for a more reliable service. If speed were that important then noone would ever travel from cornwall to Exeter!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 11:48:45 »

Not STRICTLY true about pricing either though, yes it does come into it but most passengers tell me that they wouldn't mind paying higher fares for a more reliable service. If speed were that important then noone would ever travel from cornwall to Exeter!

Maybe some would pay more for a more reliable service, but with some of the high prices being charged some people are already being priced off the trains. You don't get to here from these people when working on trains.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:51:44 by smokey » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2008, 11:53:19 »

Maybe some would pay more for a more reliable service, but with some of the high prices being charged some people are already priced off the trains, you don't get to talk to these people when working on trains.
No, but I got to talk to all the VERY happy half term families last week who were absolutely gobsmacked by how cheap Devon and Cornwall fares are, people who were saying "I don't know why we bother taking the car"!, when you have fares like Looe to Plymouth at ^5 CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')), which on a groupsave is ^1.25 each then people don't ditch the train!
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 12:44:28 »

you have fares like Looe to Plymouth at ^5 CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')), which on a groupsave is ^1.25 each then people don't ditch the train!

Maths lesson: Group Save is four people for price of two. Looe to Plymouth CDR = ^5. Two people therefore = ^10. Therefore with a group of four for the price of two: ^10 divded by 4 people = ^2.50 each. Not errr ^1.25...  Roll Eyes
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 12:49:33 »

It's quite practical to time a railway at a speed lower than its maximum theoretical speed. If the service is running normally, you can arrive early at stations - if the service is running to pot, it aids service recovery due to longer running times.

The South Western division of the Southern Region is timed for 90mph running - whereas all the trains with exception of the 455s and 159s can attain 100mph.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 12:53:30 »

Mad really.

Service recovery in simple terms. If 5 minutes late at Reading you can be practically be running right time if you blast it between Reading & Swindon. I'm sure HSTdriver would confirm.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 12:59:10 »

Maybe some would pay more for a more reliable service, but with some of the high prices being charged some people are already priced off the trains, you don't get to talk to these people when working on trains.
No, but I got to talk to all the VERY happy half term families last week who were absolutely gobsmacked by how cheap Devon and Cornwall fares are, people who were saying "I don't know why we bother taking the car"!, when you have fares like Looe to Plymouth at ^5 CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')), which on a groupsave is ^1.25 each then people don't ditch the train!

I agree but the fact is a lot of familes are led by the media to believe that trains are Expensive, Slow, Overcrowded, Dirty and Unsafe.

The Media (fleet street especially) have always targeted the Railways!!

Why if a Car leaves the road lands on the Railway and is hit by a train is it a Train Crash?

Next time a Plane crashes onto a Motorway I bet big bucks it's NOT called a Car Crash!

On the point of Safety (I'm touching wood) it's to the best of my knowledge that NO train passenger has been killed on the Railways of Devon and Cornwall, unless the passenger was responsible (at least in part) for there death, such as leaning out of the train, trying to board a moving train, or in the case of Bere Ferrers (Beer Ferris) alighting from the wrong side of the train.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2008, 13:00:34 »

Why if a Car leaves the road lands on the Railway and is hit by a train is it a Train Crash?

Couldn't agree more! (for once smokey  Cheesy)
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2008, 13:04:08 »

On the point of Safety (I'm touching wood)
Got your hand on your head then  Tongue

it's to the best of my knowledge that NO train passenger has been killed on the Railways of Devon and Cornwall, unless the passenger was responsible (at least in part) for there death, such as leaning out of the train, trying to board a moving train, or in the case of Bere Ferrers (Beer Ferris) alighting from the wrong side of the train.

I do believe you are correct!! Maybe! Will investigate  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: