09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:54:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[17] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[8] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2+7 HST's  (Read 15742 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2008, 13:10:04 »

I appreciate the points that if you time the services at lower speeds then you have recovery time built in. That's self evident. However, it contributes to the position whereby services are significantly slower than 30 years ago. You could get from Padd to BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) in 1hr 27min every hour during the day in 1978, and a commuter train did Padd to Chippenham in 59 minutes! Granted extra stops also contributes and the weight of 2+8 compared with the original 2+7.

Of the other former "inter-city" routes (ECML (East Coast Main Line), WCML (West Coast Main Line), MML» (Midland Main Line. - about), even XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))), how many have suffered this degree of slowdown in that period? None. How many others deliberately time a core part of their route at less than maximum speed? I'm not aware of any. So what makes FGW (First Great Western) different?        
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2008, 13:20:17 »

Of the other former "inter-city" routes (ECML (East Coast Main Line), WCML (West Coast Main Line), MML» (Midland Main Line. - about), even XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))), how many have suffered this degree of slowdown in that period? None. How many others deliberately time a core part of their route at less than maximum speed? I'm not aware of any. So what makes FGW (First Great Western) different?        
[/quote]

Maybe just maybe it's that FGW are desperate to get their preformance figures up and compatible to other operators.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2008, 13:26:30 »

I dont personally blame FGW (First Great Western) for the recovery time. Trains often run late through Reading and also services starting before Bristol (Penzance, Plym, Paignton etc) are rarely on time, especially calling at shacks. Thus is means FGW pay less money to the government (don't get me started) as they already pay enough!
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2008, 14:53:10 »

Don't be so sure. ECML has significantly slowed down in recent years, as has the MML partially (gained back time with introduction of their class 222 Meridian fleet - same with XC).

The WCML is only speeding up because of the WCML upgrade program.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 00:03:37 »

Not STRICTLY true about pricing either though, yes it does come into it but most passengers tell me that they wouldn't mind paying higher fares for a more reliable service. If speed were that important then noone would ever travel from cornwall to Exeter!
Better tell that to the government in spain then whose aim is to have 10,000km (6,200 miles) of high-speed (nearly 220mph)track in Spain by 2020,meaning that 90% of the population will be no more than 30 miles from a station through which the train passes. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/feb/02/spain.railtravel.
  Meanwhile on FGW (First Great Western) its definately the case of back to the future.
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 10:44:10 »

It's also slower as everything now stops at Reading and a lot more trains stop at Didcot. I don't think any services miss Reading out now, even the Bristolian now stops there.

Personally I'd axe the Heathrow Express, double the frequency of Connect, and use the fast lines to provide an improved commuter service to Reading and Didcot. It might then be possible for some of the longer distance trains to skip these stops. This of course will never happen.

Removing buffet cars from trains not only means less seating but less standing room as well, with no buffets that passengers can prop up on. Also the H vestibule is now needed by staff for the PA (Public Address) and trolley storage as there is no buffet car, and hence some staff have banned passengers from standing there, because it now becomes the only place the staff can stand. The natural barrier between first and standard is also lost.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2008, 11:24:56 »

It's also slower as everything now stops at Reading and a lot more trains stop at Didcot. I don't think any services miss Reading out now, even the Bristolian now stops there.

Just out of interest, does anyone remember when Paddington trains to and from Bristol ceased stopping at Slough? I can distinctly remember a colleague commuting Chippenham-Slough back in the 80s, but can't remember it dropping off the timetable. Was it a sudden cessation, or a gradual loss of service (a bit like how Didcot used to be a regular stop for almost all trains, then became the exception rather than the rule)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: