18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
08:51 Penzance to Cardiff Central
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
13:22 St Erth to St Ives
13:36 St Ives to St Erth
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:16:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Season tickets and online purchases  (Read 17346 times)
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2016, 18:55:13 »

Hopefully this is the right place...

My partner is about to buy an annual season ticket after a couple of years of not needing one. If she buys it online we can get a lot of Nectar points, however, discounts for poor performance aren't available online. This doesn't matter for the first year but I suspect it will for renewal. If she buys online this year will the local station have a record off it and be able to process the 5/10% refund? The station staff said they had no record off online purchases and didn't really answer the question. Similarly if (or more likely when) it stops working can it be replaced at the station which is convenient or does it have to be done online which is likely to take some time. And same question again should it be lost or stolen - the station said they wouldn't be able to help. Do people have any experience of buying seasons online?

This is a considerable purchase (^4K+) and it all seems very opaque.

Is it really the case that FGW (First Great Western) can't create a central database of season tickets?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 19:05:15 »

It's worth noting that from September 2016, GWR (Great Western Railway) will be moving to the 'Delay Repay' method of compensation for delays. No more 'void days' or 'renewal discounts' for Season Tickets.

Season Ticket holders will have to claim for each journey where they experience a delay of 30 minutes or more. Compensation will be awarded pro rata based on the length of delay (+30, +60, +120) and the duration of the Season Ticket held.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 19:09:14 »

Ah that's useful to know so it really comes down to faulty, lost or stolen tickets and do the nectar points outweigh the inconvenience.

thanks,
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 19:41:43 »

How does that work for those of us who have a season ticket expiring at the end of the year.  If the service is poor this year then we don't get a discount at the year end but we don't get delay/repay until September?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 21:50:12 »

That's a question to ask GWR (Great Western Railway). It'll be interesting to hear what they say will happen should void days and renewal discount have accrued by September.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 21:51:22 »

Season Ticket holders will have to claim for each journey where they experience a delay of 30 minutes or more.

Er come again? So I will, after being delayed through no fault of my own, now have to spend yet more of my own time, to claim for something they already have a record of ? Obviously yet another money making scheme as they know 90% of people won't bother. And there was me thinking computers were there to make things like this easier .... Sigh.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 22:05:58 »

Most TOCs (Train Operating Company) who operate 'Delay Repay' have an online form for claims.

Get a Rail Travel Voucher for every delay and delight your local ticket office when you rock up on the first Monday in January with 5 dozen RTVs to use toward the purchase of your next Annual Season.

Or take a cheque every time and put them in a savings account.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:19:58 »

These online retailers should be offering you the refunds on renewal automatically, if you go to a station and buy a season ticket renewal void days must be paid out automatically, in some cases where the ticket is priced by another toc this means the clerk must manually calculate the amount due, I would go threw the customer services department of the company you travel with.... Also worth pointing out that while I am a nectar fan, the free journey vouchers you get with some toc's are worth more if you would use them.... If your season ticket is over 3k get a nectar Amex card then you will collect points on the ticket and get ^100 worth of points for spending 3k in the first two months (the ^25 annual fee is waived in the first year)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:27 »

How does that work for those of us who have a season ticket expiring at the end of the year.  If the service is poor this year then we don't get a discount at the year end but we don't get delay/repay until September?

AIUI (as I understand it) the TOCs (Train Operating Company) that have already changed (its been going on about 5 or 6 years now) have had a year of transitional arrangements for existing season ticket holders, in that you carry on with the current arrangements until you happen to renew.

I have a feeling that the concept of 'void days' also disappears once delay repay is in use.

Paul
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 14:38:38 »

Is 30 minutes standard for getting 'Delay Repay'?

I thought the current punctuality standard was 5 minutes for the Thames Valley services.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 17:55:28 »

I thought the current punctuality standard was 5 minutes for the Thames Valley services.
Punctuality standards of 5 mins and 10 mins are used primarily to calculate performance percentage figures for Charter discounts at the end of a monthly or longer season ticket when it is renewed; but under delay repay they are no longer used for refund purposes.   The whole idea of delay repay is to get away from knocking 5% off everyone's renewal whether delayed or not, and only compensate people for the precise journeys they actually undertook, i.e. whenever they are more than 30 mins late.

Paul
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 18:15:54 »

Punctuality standards of 5 mins and 10 mins are used primarily to calculate performance percentage figures for Charter discounts at the end of a monthly or longer season ticket when it is renewed; but under delay repay they are no longer used for refund purposes.   The whole idea of delay repay is to get away from knocking 5% off everyone's renewal whether delayed or not, and only compensate people for the precise journeys they actually undertook, i.e. whenever they are more than 30 mins late.

Paul

OK so if I've got a season ticket, rather than getting 5% in respect of a month's crap performance, regardless of which train I get (or even if I travelled on the day in question) I'll check for one which was 31 mins late and put in a claim stating that I was on it? - job done!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 18:34:17 »

The last three or four years I travelled I got 5% off each so it I was paying less for my annual each year.
But the service was poor with the punctuality maa being around 80%. Which meant out of a weekly commute of 10 trains 2 were late each week and that was how it worked most weeks. Nearly always the ones from work especialy when you wanted to be home early!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 21:45:15 »

I'll check for one which was 31 mins late and put in a claim stating that I was on it? - job done!

I'm no expert, but that sounds a bit like fraud to me...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 22:33:10 »

And that's why you won't see payouts being automatically given, and you have to claim - so you commit fraud if you claim for a service you weren't on (deliberate act) rather than nominating your out/return services & the operator assuming your on them for payout purposes.

I detest that things have to be done this way, but Brits will always rip the system off.....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: