Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
05:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 07:12:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Season tickets and online purchases  (Read 17344 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 16:11:21 »

Not sure what's to add. Not every point to point or point to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has a specified max journey time in the SLC (Service Level Commitment). So there's nothing to prevent a TOC (Train Operating Company) from massaging (extending) journey times to avoid/reduce Delay/Repay compensation.

So you're suggesting TOCs could add time to intermediate journeys but somehow keep to the overall SLC time for the end to end journey. How would that work?

All end to end journeys have a specified maximum time in the SLC. Major stations en-route on longer journeys also have maximums. I can't see how adding time to intermediate journeys not specified in the SLC, to beat compensation, would work without breaching the SLC and thus the franchise agreement.

And where do you decide to add that time if you think it is possible to pad an intermediate journey without effecting end to end time? You'd need a crystal ball to predict delays that would fall just over 30/60/120 minutes and then pad that service's timetable to add the journey time minutes to bring the delay under the compensation threshold times. Whilst also ensuring that your gaze into the future and manipulation doesn't affect the SLC end to end maximum journey time.

Service Level Commitment maximum journey times were brought into Franchise Agreements specifically to prevent TOCs from further padding of timetables.

I know TOCs can be craven, but this is one example where timetable manipulation can't work to their benefit. Therefore I contend your assertion is a stupid one.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 17:35:53 »

One quick way for the TOC (Train Operating Company) simply to add further delay minutes to its timetable

except that it is in the TOC's interest to attract customers with a fast timetable. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 22:22:32 »

Quite. So there's a middle line that TICs (Tourist Information Centre) are willing to meet. But if they're codts rise significantly. They'll be looking for a way to reduce them?

BMM, please tell me on which page all these journeys apoear in the SLC (Service Level Commitment). If part of said franchise, they're availBle online. Link please?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 05:53:56 »

All routes are listed in the Service Level Commitments. They are currently:

Great Western Main Line
A1 London Paddington ^ Reading ^ Swindon.
A2 London Paddington ^ Cardiff Central ^ Swansea.
A3 London Paddington^ Bristol Temple Meads/Weston super Mare
A4 London Paddington/Swindon - Cheltenham Spa
West of England
B London Paddington ^ Plymouth / Penzance
Thames Valley Inner
C1 ((on coaches) National route restriction) London Paddington ^ Reading
C2 London Paddington ^ Hayes & Harlington (applies throughout)
C3 London Paddington ^ Greenford / Hayes & Harlington (dated)
C4 Slough ^ Windsor & Eton Central
C5 Maidenhead ^ Marlow
C6 Twyford ^ Henley-on-Thames
Thames Valley Outer
D1 London Paddington ^ Oxford (Fast services)
D2 Reading ^ Oxford
D3 Not used
D4 Oxford ^ Banbury
D5 Oxford ^ Worcester Foregate Street - Hereford
D6 London Paddington ^ Reading ^ Newbury ^ Bedwyn
D7 Reading ^ Basingstoke
North Downs
E Reading ^ Redhill / Gatwick Airport
Regional Interurban
F1 Cardiff Central ^ Portsmouth Harbour
F2a Cardiff Central ^ Bristol Temple Meads
F2b Bristol Temple Meads ^ Westbury
F3 Westbury ^ Southampton Central
F4 Westbury ^ Weymouth
F5 Westbury ^ Swindon
F6 Southampton Central ^ Brighton
Bristol
G1a Bristol Temple Meads ^ Taunton ^ Exeter St David^s
G1b Bristol Temple Meads ^ Weston super Mare
G1c Filton Abbey Wood ^ Bristol Temple Meads
G2 Bristol Temple Meads ^ Severn Beach
G3 Bristol Temple Meads ^ Cheltenham Spa - Great Malvern
Devon and Cornwall
H1 Exeter St David^s ^ Plymouth
H1a Exeter St David^s ^ Plymouth
H2 Plymouth ^ Penzance
H3 Exeter St David^s ^ Exmouth
H4 Exeter St David^s ^ Paignton
H4a Exeter St David^s ^ Paignton
H5 Exeter St David^s ^ Barnstaple
H6 Exeter Central ^ Crediton
H7 Plymouth ^ Gunnislake
H8 Liskeard ^ Looe
H9 Par ^ Newquay
H10 Truro ^ Falmouth Docks
H11 St Erth ^ St Ives

Every one of those has a maximum journey time. Any significant time added to an intermediate journey on any of those routes would have a knock on effect for the end to end journey. That would likely see the tightly specified maximum journey time exceeded.

Again, I say it is neither possible, or in their interests, for GWR (Great Western Railway) to arbitrarily extend journey times to reduce their delay compensation payments.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:00:24 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 13:33:10 »

I'm saying that there is a few minutes leeway in the majority of these services (say, up to 7 mins) that would reduce the number of trains subject to dekay/repay. Whether that meets your definition of 'significant' I don't know.

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not advocating this
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 20:42:21 »

I'm saying that there is a few minutes leeway in the majority of these services (say, up to 7 mins) that would reduce the number of trains subject to dekay/repay. Whether that meets your definition of 'significant' I don't know.

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not advocating this

Nothing to advocate. GWR (Great Western Railway) won't be changing any timetables to beat delay compensation. There's the maximum journey times to stay under, pathing to keep to, clockface timings for many services, connection times to maintain. And not least, no idea when and where delays will occur.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 14:36:16 »

I'll check for one which was 31 mins late and put in a claim stating that I was on it? - job done!

I'm no expert, but that sounds a bit like fraud to me...

The experts agree...
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/commuters-ordered-to-repay-thousands-after-southern-railway-compensation-scam-a3178031.html
Tim K

Commuting from Swindon to London

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 16:08:25 »

I've just done the calculations for my season ticket and I think the switch to delay repay will mean I get less compensation for delays and need to do lots more paperwork to claim.

Currently I've got a 5% discount for the last few years.

Under delay repay (assuming GWR (Great Western Railway) uses similar rules to Southern and South Eastern) it's 0.1% of the annual season ticket price every time I'm delayed by more than 30 minutes but less than 60 minutes, and 0.2% of the annual season ticket for delays of over 60 minutes (i.e. assumes I make 500 journeys per year).

According to recenttraintimes.co.uk my usual trains only have delays of 31-60 minutes around 2% of the time and delays of over 60 minutes 1% of the time.

So my compensation once delay repay comes into force will be around 2% but I'll need to fill in a claim form around 15 times per year.

I think it's a fairer system, especially for people who've paid a small fortune for a walk up ticket, but I think the amount of compensation paid out will go down even if we ignore the people who won't bother to claim.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 16:59:22 »

Apologies for being thick; do you actually have to travel on these delayed trains to get compensation legitimately? If you were a season ticket holder and noticed the train you intended to travel on was delayed and you made alternative arrangements does that effectively exclude you from getting compensation?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 17:14:57 »

I've just done the calculations for my season ticket and I think the switch to delay repay will mean I get less compensation for delays and need to do lots more paperwork to claim.

Currently I've got a 5% discount for the last few years.

Under delay repay (assuming GWR (Great Western Railway) uses similar rules to Southern and South Eastern) it's 0.1% of the annual season ticket price every time I'm delayed by more than 30 minutes but less than 60 minutes, and 0.2% of the annual season ticket for delays of over 60 minutes (i.e. assumes I make 500 journeys per year).

Checking a couple of recent franchises that have 'delay repay' rather than Charter discounts, there seems to have been some movement on the number of single journeys deemed to be made on an annual season, with both GTR and Virgin EC using a basis figure of 464.   GTR/Southern's is down from its original 546, which was presumably based on more than 10 singles per 52 weeks, with no allowances at all.

500 is probably fine for a rule of thumb, but it will be interesting to see if DfT» (Department for Transport - about) get a grip on this and issue standard calculation rules so that every TOC (Train Operating Company) uses the same figure.

Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 17:47:06 »

Apologies for being thick; do you actually have to travel on these delayed trains to get compensation legitimately? If you were a season ticket holder and noticed the train you intended to travel on was delayed and you made alternative arrangements does that effectively exclude you from getting compensation?

And similarly if the train you intended to travel on was cancelled, so you delayed your journey to the station and caught the next one.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2016, 02:26:40 »

That comes under the delay stat....if your following train is more than 30 mins arriving after the cancelled was due, then you qualify - if less you don't. I think that applies for comp now.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 11:35:46 »

Interesting article on 'delay repay' including sobering news of what happens if you try to cheat the system too blatantly!  One part which got my attention is where it mentions the delay threshold being reduced from 30 minutes to 15 minutes which the government are apparently 'actively considering'.

http://www.railfuture.org.uk/article1654-Delay-Repay-Losers

A 15 minute threshold would, at a guess, quadruple the number of times the average person could claim for a refund, so would be extremely generous if it comes to fruition.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: