Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:32:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delay compensation from GWR. Time taken to receive.  (Read 8759 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2016, 14:33:12 »

I'm wondering if folk out there would share their experiences of how long any claims for Passenger Charter compensation have taken or are taking.

My most recent claim has, frankly, astonished me with the time taken to process it.

I posted the form on Monday 15th February 2016 and received the Rail Travel Voucher today, Friday 19th February 2016.

Four days. That's four days.

The expected amount was correct as well. It was a journey using a Rover that was delayed.

Astounded. Flabbergasted. Amazed.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well done GWR (Great Western Railway)Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 15:31:42 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 15:22:05 »

I made a claim on 2nd February and the payment was sent out on the 7th. It exceeded my expectation and I was impressed! Good response from GWR (Great Western Railway).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 16:00:53 »

Of course, in the days of the original Great Western Railway, you'd have received the compensation before you'd even asked for it ...  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 16:26:57 »

One tiny detail I forgot to mention was that my most recent claim was actually outside the terms of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Passenger Charter compensation rules. I'd claimed on the basis that my journey was disrupted by over-running engineering works, when the reality was the specific journey I'd made was actually delayed by (what will most likely be determined as) a suicide. Two events on the same day that caused widespread disruption, and I wasn't 100% sure which event had delayed the trains I ended up using.

Re-reading the accompanying letter I see that the RTV is for goodwill although the wording was a little ambiguous. I called GWR to confirm. The amount would have been the same either way. Half the daily value of a Rover. In my case a Freedom of Severn & Solent 3 days in 7 at ^46.00, giving me ^7.70 in RTVs.

Whatever the reason for the payout, still an impressive turn round time.

Now that I know the voucher was a goodwill gesture as a result of a (most likely) suicide, I will donate an equivalent amount to The Samaritans.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 20:03:23 »

That seems like rather good service.

I'm still waiting for a RTV from Southern for a journey in September 2013, where not only was I delayed by >1 hour, but ended up paying a Zone 1-6 fare instead of Zone 2-6 on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services).  They initially refused the claim as my departure time was not listed on the National Rail Timetable.  As I took a London Underground service from a station with both tube and mainline services, of course it would not show (this was verified by my Oyster statement showing a LUL (London Underground Ltd)-NR» (Network Rail - home page) interchange at Shepherd's Bush).  They agreed to pay but nothing was received in the post.  They then offered to credit it to my online account.  Nothing turned up.  I moved house and forgot about it for a few months.  Southern then ignored me whenever I emailed about it, so referred to London Travelwatch.  They couldn't help as I didn't have any correspondence saved.  Southern phoned me following this and left a voicemail message, I phoned them back and they never got back to me.  Given up now and a really poor experience of how to treat your customers.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 22:41:19 »

My most recent claim - last December, and the first for ages - due to knackered signalling at Castle Cary was not dealt with at all well; FGW (First Great Western) / GWR (Great Western Railway) had to be chased and whoever responded forgot to enclose the RTV's! Much form filling required - understandably, there are a lot of scam merchants in our midst - to officially declare non-receipt before a new set of vouchers would be despatched.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 18:29:16 »

I made a claim against Virgin West Coast and received RTVs in the post 2 days later!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 19:49:05 »

my last few took about a week each (at least 2 or 3 of which will have been the time the letters took in the post) .  Which I is much better than it used to be.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 15:23:17 »

I made a claim against Virgin West Coast and received RTVs in the post 2 days later!

Same response time for me. Made the claim to VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) online on Sunday, received the repsonse today, Tuesday. Just a shame however that I wasn't compensated in the method requested. Ask for cheque, received RTV.

Now have to send the RTV back and wait for a cheque. So as far as this claim goes the clock is still ticking...

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 15:25:01 »

Chiltern do that too, except ask for RTV & got a cheque....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 02:07:59 »

Same response time for me. Made the claim to VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) online on Sunday, received the repsonse today, Tuesday. Just a shame however that I wasn't compensated in the method requested. Ask for cheque, received RTV.

Now have to send the RTV back and wait for a cheque. So as far as this claim goes the clock is still ticking...

Virgin West Coast emailed me on Friday 15th April 2016 apologising for sending an RTV when I'd requested a cheque. Told me I can keep the RTV and a cheque for the same amount would be with me within 5-7 days. They'd confirmed, on the 13th April, via 'live chat', that I'd need to send the RTV back, wait for it to be received by them, and then they'd issue the cheque. I went and put the RTV in an envelope, with a covering letter, and addressed it ready to post. Luckily I forgot to post it before receiving the email.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: