Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
11:44 London Paddington to Hereford
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 14:59:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicycles on trains - new policy from May?  (Read 65237 times)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2016, 14:47:45 »

Has anyone heard about a change in GWR (Great Western Railway) policy about bicycles on trains?

According to a conversation I overheard between a ticket inspector and a cyclist last week, cyclists will need to make a booking before taking their bicycles on all GWR trains from May, currently you only need to book on high speed trains. I can understand why GWR may want to do this given the way that some cyclists abuse the current rules by piling as many bikes as possible into the vestibules making it awkward for other passengers to get on and off the train. Although I am not sure how you would enforce this policy on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train, it would be hard enough at a manned station never mind at an unmanned station.

Although of course it is one thing to introduce a policy and another to enforce it, and I am not convinced that the current policies are enforced today and even if enforced what would be the consequence of being caught on the train without a booking?

And to avoid accusations that I am anti-cyclist I do take my folding bike on the train every day and I assume this policy, if true, would not apply to folding bikes.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 15:48:42 »

if enforced what would be the consequence of being caught on the train without a booking?

Can't answer as I've heard nothing - we have a Customer Panel meeting next month where I can raise it if we haven't an answer beforehand...but I suggest the answer to the quote is that they could kick you off at the next stop, and you'd be 'on your bike', quite literally.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 16:07:58 »

This isn't quite correct, at the moment reservations are mandatory on some high speed services, but from May it will be all high speed services. There's no change for Turbos or the West fleet.

Folding bikes will remain allowed on any train and reservations won't be required as they can be treated as luggage.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 17:10:34 »

This isn't quite correct, at the moment reservations are mandatory on some high speed services, but from May it will be all high speed services.

Oh that could be interesting ... reservation needed on the 07:06 Newton Abbot to Paignton, but not on the 07:52 ... the first being a high speed service and the second being a higher speed service (taking less time)  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 17:16:51 »

To clarify, by High Speed Services I mean those operated by an HST (High Speed Train) or a Class 180 Smiley
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 18:15:55 »

Yikes. Is there a right-now operational reason, or is it in readiness for the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) (where I believe bike spaces will have electronic reservations and will be, to some degree, scattered throughout the train)?
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 12:05:58 »

To clarify, by High Speed Services I mean those operated by an HST (High Speed Train) or a Class 180 Smiley

That could cause some fun for the commuting cyclists on the Cotswold Line....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 12:09:20 »

That could cause some fun for the commuting cyclists on the Cotswold Line....

Yes, in-so-much as it won't work!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:26:31 »

The policy change actually brings GWR (Great Western Railway) in line with the majority of other TOCs (Train Operating Company). The purpose of it this is to give customers a 'soft landing' in the build up to IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) which will have compulsory bike reservations.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 15:44:43 »

I don't think I've ever seen the cycle policy enforced on LT V....selfish idiots still seem to think it's acceptable to block the vestibules on Turbos with full size bikes during the peaks in and out of London, and tend to be full of righteous indignation if asked to move/show consideration for others.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 15:57:06 »

The advantage of a policy applying to every passenger on certain trains is that it is easier to enforce than one which is a little ambiguous. Limiting cycles to, say, two per carriage will always start an argument about who was where first, and will never result in the third person saying "OK, I'll get off then".

Now, please!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 17:07:23 »

The policy change actually brings GWR (Great Western Railway) in line with the majority of other TOCs (Train Operating Company).

It would be more accurate to say "the majority of other intercity TOCs", but even then the comparison is a little misleading.

Many point-to-point journeys on intercity franchises are duplicated by slower journeys on regional/L&SE franchises, for which reservations aren't compulsory. So it's not a big deal if Virgin insist on bike reservations for (say) Coventry-Birmingham, because you can always just jump on a London Midland train without reservation.

But that isn't the case for key Great Western routes, such as Didcot-Bristol/Newport or the Cotswold Line. Here, the sole service is provided by GWR using (now) compulsory-reservation stock. I can understand the rationale on peak-time trains towards London, but less so if I'm heading from Charlbury to Worcester with my bike at a weekday lunchtime.

If bike reservations could be made while the train was in transit (as seats can be on CrossCountry), and it was possible to do so at an unstaffed station (i.e. at a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) or through an app), then it could work. As it is, however, I'm just glad I have that rare thing, a folding bike capable of being ridden for long distances!
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 14:02:00 »

....selfish idiots still seem to think it's acceptable to block the vestibules on Turbos with full size bikes during the peaks

Will this also apply to pushchairs and people with large 4 wheel suitcases in the peak too?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 15:56:27 »

....selfish idiots still seem to think it's acceptable to block the vestibules on Turbos with full size bikes during the peaks

Will this also apply to pushchairs and people with large 4 wheel suitcases in the peak too?

Are they banned on some peak services then, like bikes ?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 17:53:44 »

the comparison is only partly valid, I think.  The particular problem with commuter bikes is that they tend by definition to be used on peak time commuter services.  Luggage and buggies tend to be travelling off peak and not every day.  I find it hard to begrudge the student travelling with too much luggage once a term or the parent and taking the family and buggy to the seaside once a year.  I wouldn't put those people into the same category of selfish as the person who blocks the Turbo vestibule every single day.

I think it is unrealistic (and selfish) to expect to be able to travel in the peak day in day out every day as part of your commute.  BUT, I would like to think that the railway would carry the more occasional cyclist (or the commuter who is transferring his/her second bike to the station as a one off).   I've said it before, but I would favour charging a fare for bikes.  Make it affordable and simple (say a flat rate of ^5 for the whole day??) and it is unlikely to be a major  burden to the occasional user, BUT at ^25 per week, it would incentivise the regular commuter to come up with a different solution to have a bike at both ends of their journey (ie buy a second bike or a folding one).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: