17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:15 Penzance to Exeter St Davids
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:30:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicycles on trains - new policy from May?  (Read 65221 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2016, 05:19:47 »

Clearly the DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) angle on the dangly spaces hasn't been followed (and due to the way DDA works, almost certainly won't be).

What is this DDA to which you refer? The Act of Parliament repealed in 2010?  Huh

Although the Act of Parliament itself may have been repealed in 2010, the spirit lives on in other legislation and in my view and I think that of others terms such as "DDA Compilant", "DDA Compliance" and "the DDA angle" are commonly taken in discussion to mean "compliance with current disability discrimination legislation".

In a court of law, the current laws and their acts would be looked at; here in a discussion amongst friends,  terms such as "DDA angle" or "DDL angle" strike me as an appropriate shorthand which is far clearer than listing individual  sections of the Equalities Act of 2010 which has replaced the Equal Pay Act 1970, Sex Discrimination Act 1975, Race Relations Act 1976, Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003 and the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006.

At times in discussions like the current one, to refer to the Equalities Act without further qualification could suggest that the poster is questioning whether people of a certain religious following would feel unequal because they had to hang there cycles vertically.

I agree, Bmblbzzz - the Disability Discrimination law consideration for these spaces is an interesting question. Smiley

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2016, 09:14:15 »

Well said Graham.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2016, 10:33:55 »

Exactly as Grahame has said. If I'd put "EA" I'm not sure people would have known what I meant. An occasion when being inaccurate conveys the more meaning better and is arguable more precise than being accurate!  Shocked

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2016, 12:01:33 »

My apologies for merely striving for accuracy. Casual readers may have no idea what DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) stands for, let alone that it is no longer on the statute book. It may be appropriate shorthand for those in the know. For others, a short explanation of the correct legislation may be more helpful.

Then there's the fact that rail vehicles have their own separate regulations for accessibility.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2016, 12:04:19 »

Strive then - by explaining the current legislation, rather than just posing a question that you know the answer to?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2016, 12:11:55 »

Exactly as Grahame has said. If I'd put "EA" I'm not sure people would have known what I meant. An occasion when being inaccurate conveys the more meaning better and is arguable more precise than being accurate!  Shocked

Electronic Arts ? or the Environmental Agency ?  Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2016, 16:52:02 »

Evangelical Alliance!

This is not the only case of the former abbreviation / acronym / name being so widely known that it stays in use after supercession. Landlords who advertise their flats with the qualification "No DSS!" can be told that they are correct - there is no DSS, and hasn't been for almost 15 years, since the Department for Work and something beginning with P replaced it. How many people take their car for a MoT test, or look for a CORGI registered plumber to sort their gas piping out? In my (soon to be former) job, I see mothers aged in their 20s who tell me they get Family Allowance. As it was abolished on 6 December 1971, their mothers didn't get it for them.

We must move with the times, but remember that evolution is a slow business.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2016, 18:07:28 »

.....there's no business like slow business.... Wink

(I'll get my coat)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2016, 20:10:02 »

My apologies for merely striving for accuracy. Casual readers may have no idea what DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) stands for,
Although they could have checked that ever helpful list of abbreviations and acronyms, where it is listed.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2016, 18:47:44 »

A friend (actually a colleague of a friend) who commutes from Cardiff to Bristol (Parkway I presume as office is in Aztec) has been told the principal reason for the new policy is not lack of capacity but to reduce delays. With the HST (High Speed Train) guards vans, not only do passengers with bikes have to get from carriage to guards vans but ^ obviously ^ only one at a time can get through the door and it takes longer to get a bike through the door, in either direction, than a person (though maybe not than a person with large suitcase or push chair). But the main problem seems to be a reluctance on the part of passengers to enter the guards van while there's someone else already in there.

This is something I don't understand and haven't really observed myself. There is definitely room in there for more than one person at a time to stow/remove a bike, though not more than two or three. It does get tight though if more than one wants to manoeuvre their bike at the same time (it needs to be turned through 90 degrees between door and racks).

Anyway, said c of f has booked a space in each direction for a couple of months ahead (he has a season ticket) and wants to book a second space on a later train every day for occasions when he has to work late.

The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2016, 19:22:49 »

The pricipal reason has never been to reduce delays. It is simply to warm customers up for when the new electric / bimode trains come into service.

There's nothing stopping someone from getting reservations on 2 services if they have a season ticket. Just expect a lot of wasted tickets!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2016, 19:57:21 »

Except that it stops others from carrying their bike. You will get complaints when they can't reserve, leave their bike, then find empty spaces!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2016, 20:03:44 »

I really think anyone commuting daily should consider either a folding bike or a bike at both ends (as they do in Netherlands).  That is assuming that secure storage facilities are available at both ends - and if they are not they should be!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2016, 20:43:19 »

There's nothing stopping someone from getting reservations on 2 services if they have a season ticket.
Please, please do not encourage that. It's downright selfish and disrespectful to others trying to travel.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2016, 20:52:57 »

I'd agree^. And my friend has pointed out that the result is artificially reduced bike capacity; not only from booking two services but because some of the days he's booked he will end up not working.

I think the point about delays was made to friend's colleague specifically about the services he uses, which apparently are't that busy with bikes. Where in the GWR (Great Western Railway) decision chain it originates I'm not sure; could be just from whoever he was speaking to, so probably station or train staff.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: