09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:41:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[20] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[20] access for all at Devon stations report
[12] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[10] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: 158798  (Read 14786 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 08:03:15 »

Looks like 798 has failed this morning... unless they've put it on another service... 0730 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour (or should I say Newport to Portsmouth Harbour) is 2 158 according to FGW (First Great Western) today!

From the FGW website :

07:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour due 10:52
This train has been started from Newport South Wales.This train will run short formed with 2 carriages.This is due to signalling problems.

Road replacement will operate from Severn Tunnel Junc to Bristol Temple Meads as a non stop service.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 21:33:52 »

Looks like 798 has failed this morning... unless they've put it on another service... 0730 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour (or should I say Newport to Portsmouth Harbour) is 2 158 according to FGW (First Great Western) today!

might just be routine maintainence,for example engine and transmission changes etc cannot be done overnight like exam work can
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 21:47:42 »

This soon from refurb? I don't think so.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 10:13:01 »

It was down Monday-Wednesday.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 19:12:31 »

why?

these changes are mileage based and are also not in the contract for wabtec to carry out,so if it is due material is ordered and the train is planned in for it to be done.
so it is completey pheasable this is the reason for it to have a few days out of service.it does not always have to be a failiure for a train to be out of service despite what people think.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 19:14:48 »

I'm aware of that.

It would make more sense to do it during the down time after coming back from refurbishment rather than pulling it out of service again...
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 19:20:34 »

I'm aware of that.

It would make more sense to do it during the down time after coming back from refurbishment rather than pulling it out of service again...

i agree it would but they cannot be changed until a certain mileage has been reached unless they go bang of course.
plus heavy maintenance is planned in advance to limit the downtime,if it was not then you could end up having several engine or tranny changes in at once.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 19:38:16 »

I'm aware of that.

i agree it would but they cannot be changed until a certain mileage has been reached unless they go bang of course.
plus heavy maintenance is planned in advance to limit the downtime,if it was not then you could end up having several engine or tranny changes in at once.
Huh  Huh It doesn't make economical sense to change a part before it's life expired, but that doesn't mean you can't not change it!

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 19:25:13 »

Apparantly it has died again today...
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 20:10:01 »

Well the 15.30 was 2car.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 13:23:41 »

There was a very sound reason that BR (British Rail(ways)) workshops always sent Traction units fresh from works out on test runs with back up motive power, ie double headed trains or 2x2 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s.

After refits and new parts, failure rates rocket, electrical equipment will fail within hours of installing or last for ages.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 15:30:35 »

After refits and new parts, failure rates rocket, electrical equipment will fail within hours of installing or last for ages.

Commonly known as the 'bathtub curve', for those who have too much time on their hands more can be found out here.

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=211547
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: