Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:42 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:24:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Peak Day Returns more expensive than Devon Day Ranger/Ride Cornwall  (Read 11105 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 19:55:30 »

No complaint from me - the staff at Truro have always sold the ^10 Ride Cornwall on the 0904 and now do so on any off peak service to Plymouth without me having to ask

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 20:15:27 »

Simplification could easily result in the removal of these local rovers/ranger tickets of course. Be careful what you wish for.

The Ride Cornwall being a council initiative not a railway one would it make it more difficult or easier to remove?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 20:18:14 »

0904 only^4.20 with an advance single or ^3.20 on the 1015.

I paid ^3 recently on that service 0852 redruth to Plymouth, going to collect a car so driving back. It isn't worth an advance single unless coming back a different day or only going one direction or returning on an equally cheap XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) advance

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 20:23:43 »

Top marks to Truro ticket office. GWR (Great Western Railway) Twitter say they shouldn't be doing that. GWR Twitter being more and more the company 'computer says no' mouthpiece, with meaningless platitudes. Rather than even doing the very basic bit of customer service by saying the concerns raised will be fed up the food chain.

No replies to later posts on Twitter on this issue. Smacks of, 'ignore and it'll go away'. An attitude that pervades GWR Customer Service from top to bottom.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 22:47:49 »

As it's being discussed here in the public area of the Coffee Shop forum, may I '"cue Ollie" to respond on this particular issue?  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 23:17:47 »

As it's being discussed here in the public area of the Coffee Shop forum, may I '"cue Ollie" to respond on this particular issue?  Undecided

Ollie was one of the responders on Twitter, and he went off rambling about split tickets in his response, yet split tickets has no relevance to the question asked. The question posed went unanswered.
Agree it's fair to give him another chance to answer the question posed.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 23:25:43 »

Hence my use of the Undecided icon.

Roll Eyes

Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 23:46:06 »

That other person on the twitter thread seemed pretty adamant with his point of view...  Lips sealed  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 08:39:12 »

Presumably the off peak day return fare is still useful for railcard discounted travellers and for groupsave?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:53 »

Presumably the off peak day return fare is still useful for railcard discounted travellers and for groupsave?

^6.60 with rail card for an off peak day return Redruth to Plymouth.

Ride Cornwall is ^8.30 discounted.

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 08:49:50 »

Many staff in Devon and Cornwall have figured out - on their own initiative - that a Devon Day Ranger or Ride Cornwall can be cheaper than (or equivalent to) a CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')), in much the same way the Devon Evening Ranger is usually the cheapest fare after 18.00.

But many D&C residents don't know of their existence, let alone their entitlement to a D&C Railcard; and as usual a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) cannot sell Ranger and Rover tickets (nor off peak fares after 00.00).

However, this "loophole" is rumoured to be "fixed" by the prices of the Rovers rising come May.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 09:57:53 »

Ollie was one of the responders on Twitter, and he went off rambling about split tickets in his response, yet split tickets has no relevance to the question asked. The question posed went unanswered.
Agree it's fair to give him another chance to answer the question posed.

Yep, I agree in this case my response was wrong about split ticketing, as  I wasn't replying to your tweet but one you were mentioned in, so it hadn't shown in the conversation about the Rover, which is why I went on the basis of being a "through journey" and the topic of split ticketing. It's good to see in other posts that offices are indeed selling the cheaper Ride Cornwall ticket where it's appropriate.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 17:58:22 »

Many thanks for your clarification of that point here, Ollie.  Wink

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 21:11:47 »

Many staff in Devon and Cornwall have figured out - on their own initiative - that a Devon Day Ranger or Ride Cornwall can be cheaper than (or equivalent to) a CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')), in much the same way the Devon Evening Ranger is usually the cheapest fare after 18.00.

But many D&C residents don't know of their existence, let alone their entitlement to a D&C Railcard; and as usual a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) cannot sell Ranger and Rover tickets (nor off peak fares after 00.00).

However, this "loophole" is rumoured to be "fixed" by the prices of the Rovers rising come May.

Can the railway increase the price of Council set Rover/Rangers? Or is it the councils raising the price.

Ride Cornwall is a council ran initiative set by the council, with revenue proportionately split between the participating operators

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 21:16:17 »

Possibly the councils trying to mske up for bus service grant cuts?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: