Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:41:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Coombe Junction 'crowd burst': May 14, 2016
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Coombe Junction - passenger numbers and platform facilities - ongoing discussion  (Read 44796 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 18:17:54 »

Many thanks for your update here, Richard!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 20:31:40 »

I will have my children as the wife is away, but will be there subject to weather, I am most likely to leave earlier than the group to allow for a slow walking 4 year old and meet the group at the junction in time for the train ride back up.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 21:00:54 »

Maybe Pilning next (if we're quick!)??
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 18:11:17 »

Rich and Richard,
We'd really appreciate some pics and feedback after the event.  Good luck on Saturday.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2016, 11:17:52 »

108 passengers - paid through the organiser to bulk purchase.  Photos to follow later. Sunday Cornwall  independent and tv crew present

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2016, 12:05:52 »

I've now uploaded my photos to Flickr.
Can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82289286@N06/albums/72157665931719633

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 13:29:22 »

Many thanks for posting those excellent pictures, richwarwicker!  Cheesy

They certainly show the difference between an 'ordinary' day and a special event such as today.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 14:37:09 »

I walked down about 10-15 minutes before the group due to having 3 children under 5 in tow so had time at the station as normally would be expected. I did notice around half a dozen ramblers walk through the station, it is on a public footpath through the valley.
Perhaps if there was a weekend late afternoon evening service then It may get well patronised as I imagine many walkers/ramblers may use to avoid the massive hill, I certainly wouldn't want to walk up the hill to Liskeard. Or even make every service a request call as the train only stops a few yards short to do its reversal. The driver would be able to see if anyone is present as long as they weren't hiding in the hut, but there is a whistle point on approach anyway.
Currently at the weekend there is 2 services each way in the morning. The 1052 to Liskeard being the last train that calls on a Saturday.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 17:17:34 »

Love it ...  shows traffic can be raised anywhere.  You would need a platform capacity risk assessment if you had any more!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2016, 18:46:56 »

I walked down about 10-15 minutes before the group due to having 3 children under 5 in tow so had time at the station as normally would be expected. I did notice around half a dozen ramblers walk through the station, it is on a public footpath through the valley.
Perhaps if there was a weekend late afternoon evening service then It may get well patronised as I imagine many walkers/ramblers may use to avoid the massive hill, I certainly wouldn't want to walk up the hill to Liskeard. Or even make every service a request call as the train only stops a few yards short to do its reversal. The driver would be able to see if anyone is present as long as they weren't hiding in the hut, but there is a whistle point on approach anyway.
Currently at the weekend there is 2 services each way in the morning. The 1052 to Liskeard being the last train that calls on a Saturday.

Thanks for the photos, Rich.  Great stuff.  I'm up in Nottingham so couldn't be there today.

While the two calls in each direction (Mon - Sat) can certainly be shifted, given the historic low use of Coombe Jn, the bigger priority is to make sure the Looe Valley Line trains have the best possible connections at Liskeard and, of course, more stops at Coombe Jn wouldn't help this.  There really is no traffic and not much likelihood of it apart from events like today.  The station's current usage isn't anything new, I'm afraid, and it's not without a lot of trying, which has greatly increased use of the branch line itself, I'm pleased to say.  Sorry to be a wet blanket.

The issue with making it a request stop in all trains is that the trains would have to be timed for the request stop to be used, hence in practice, all trains would end up calling at Coombe Junction.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 20:25:22 »

When the Cornwall Resignalling finally surfaces, Coombe No.1 Ground Frame will be abolished and the connection will be power worked from TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about). The time saved from not having to operate the Ground Frame twice for each journey could then be used to allow reversal at the halt rather than at the junction points Wink
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2016, 21:29:02 »

Thank you rich for the photos and reports.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 21:54:58 »

Thanks for the photos, Rich.  Great stuff.  I'm up in Nottingham so couldn't be there today.

While the two calls in each direction (Mon - Sat) can certainly be shifted, given the historic low use of Coombe Jn, the bigger priority is to make sure the Looe Valley Line trains have the best possible connections at Liskeard and, of course, more stops at Coombe Jn wouldn't help this.  There really is no traffic and not much likelihood of it apart from events like today.  The station's current usage isn't anything new, I'm afraid, and it's not without a lot of trying, which has greatly increased use of the branch line itself, I'm pleased to say.  Sorry to be a wet blanket.

The issue with making it a request stop in all trains is that the trains would have to be timed for the request stop to be used, hence in practice, all trains would end up calling at Coombe Junction.

You mention connections at liskeard, when I was living in Redruth we always wanted to visit looe, however never did due to poor connections at liskeard. I haven't looked recently but there was always a long wait at liskeard.
Today I caught the 1751 liskeard to Penzance, passengers from the branch only made the service due to late running on the main line, as the branch line was scheduled to arrived a few minutes after the main line was scheduled to depart.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2016, 08:15:13 »

Radio Cornwall picked up on the occasion giving a fair bit of coverage pre-event, and now post event. Radio Cornwall have a video from the day on their Facebook page. The camera man didn't travel so no internal footage from the trip.
The amount of media coverage can only do good for the station in the next few weeks at least!

Ps I got near the front for the tv camera, my daughters bright pink coat stands out like sore thumb!

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2016, 08:55:19 »

I've now uploaded my photos to Flickr.
Can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82289286@N06/albums/72157665931719633

Not knowing the area, I do hope that your photo at the link below is of a disused part of the  track. Looks a bit dangerous / pointless to me.  Wink
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82289286@N06/26936563211
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: