Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 21:27:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[115] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[98] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[94] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[36] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Public' Great Western Railway poster ruled misleading  (Read 5456 times)
the void

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:10:03 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35921695

Not entirely sure what the difference is between this and the various supermarkets who advertise 'Your M&S' and 'Your Morrisons' etc.

5 whole complaints mind...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:44:17 »

Far more worthy reasons for complaint about TOC (Train Operating Company) advertising. But if the ASA is upholding the 'minor' complaints there's hope that the more egregious claims will be investigated should one complain.

Such as "We are investing ^7.5bn..."

Now, what's the ASA's address?   Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:26:13 »

5 whole complaints mind...

I wonder how many will have been Union officials? 

Personally, that advert did rankle for precisely the reason it was ruled misleading, but I wouldn't have thought it illegal in any way. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:03 »

I wonder how many will have been Union officials?

At least one, apparently:

Mick Cash, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union, described the advert as an "outrageous stunt".

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:15:32 »

After the ASA ruled, I understand
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 16:25:44 »

Surprised if much Virgin advertising would get by the ASA if referred  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 16:30:34 »

Surprised if much Virgin advertising would get by the ASA if referred  Grin

........do virgins advertise? How are their claims verified? Cheesy
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 23:44:16 »

You may remember the TV advert for the Reading Heathrow RailAir bus, that showed the coach in the former M4 outer bus lane, (after junction 3), overtaking standing traffic. The bus lane was of course on the other side of Heathrow.....

OTC
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 23:05:29 »

Here's comedian and panel show stalwart, David Mitchell's take on the ASA ruling. From The Observer:

The train company that has ideas above its station

^Great Western Railway^ has been ordered by the ASA to take down its misleading posters. Now we should strip it of its misleading name

A small good thing happened last week, but in a context of such stupidity and unfairness that it only brought home to me more strongly all that stupidity and unfairness, so I^d almost rather it hadn^t happened at all. The good thing was that the train operator ^Great Western Railway^, which is owned by FirstGroup plc, was banned by the Advertising Standards Authority from putting up any more posters implying it^s publicly owned. Specifically, posters that read: ^The railway belongs to the region it serves^.

There^s a tiny bit of justice in that decision, but so tiny it insults the very concept. Only a homeopath could believe that such a microscopic quantity of justice could have any beneficial effect. It^s like hearing that, though a serial killer will walk free, the judge has ruled, after a desperate appeal by the prosecution, that he will no longer be given free biscuits at the public expense. Hooray! No more biscuits for the Kensington Ripper! Maybe he^ll leave fewer crumbs around his next eviscerated victim!

You may be wondering why I^m getting so worked up about this that, in bad temper, I^ve allowed the imagery of violent mutilation to invade my discussion of transport infrastructure. You may be wondering it in exactly those words. If you wonder in words. Perhaps thoughts come to you as shapes or colours ^ with me, it^s like a typescript in 12-point Courier. Serves me right for not doing art GCSE.

The root cause of my anger is that the posters^ slogan is factually correct. The railway, on which FirstGroup currently operates services under the name ^Great Western Railway^, does indeed belong to the region it serves, if you take ^the region^ to mean Britain. All of our national railways ^ the tracks, bridges, cuttings and tunnels ^ are owned by Network Rail, which is owned by the government.

In modern times, private investment hasn^t really taken off in the track-maintaining part of the railway business. Investors prefer to limit their liabilities to the trains, ticket machines and refreshment carts ^ the bits for which passengers pay money ^ and leave the bits that cost money to be paid for by the state. It^s an incredibly astute move on the investors^ part and is doubtless further proof to the likes of George Osborne of the genius of the private sector when compared with the doltish bridge-and-tunnel-maintaining public one, which just burns money on boring infrastructure (in the case of tunnels), but lacks the wit even to extort ^3 per extremely unpleasant croissant from the thousands regularly held temporarily but hungrily captive thanks to the failure of its own signals.

Companies like FirstGroup never take direct responsibility for anything as headachy as maintaining hundreds of miles of undulating track. They^re just tenants ^ they rent use of the lines from the government, from us. So we^re not just FirstGroup^s customers ^ it^s also ours. And it^s been quite demanding over the years.

In 2011 it announced it was pulling out of its 10-year contract three years early ^ a presciently negotiated ^break-clause^ allowed this. Unfortunately for us, of the ^1.13bn of rent it was contracted to pay over the decade, ^826m was due over the last three years, the three years the company adroitly opted out of.

This left the landlord, which is us, which is the government, in an awkward position. Does it look for a new tenant who might pay the ^826m, or something approaching it, instead? That^s what it ought to do. Otherwise, what force does any future government franchise contract have? How can a landlord expect to receive rent if the sanction for refusing to pay it isn^t eviction?

Unfortunately, the government^s most recent attempt to negotiate a major new rail franchise is universally known as the ^west coast mainline fiasco^. The Department for Transport, shaken by cuts and new rules, totally screwed it up, and its decision was effectively reversed after a legal challenge by the incumbent franchisee.

So, rather than get into all that again, the government basically told FirstGroup it could stay put. After all, its stuff was everywhere ^ an eviction would have been an admin nightmare. Or maybe the minister had just seen an upsetting news report about homelessness. Instead of the ^826m under the original contract, the company agreed to pay ^32.5m for a 23-month extension, a sum which economists have described as ^massively less^.

I^ve been miserably aware for years that this sort of crap went on. The contrast between extortionate and unreliable trains and the jaunty corporate slogans with which private operators daub their dirty carriages and demoralised staff has always made me resentful. The discovery that what the private sector lacks in willingness to maintain a rail network it makes up for in the ferocity of its bargaining with exhausted and under-resourced civil servants is not a very surprising one.

But the rebranding of FirstGroup^s rail services (last autumn, after it had just been granted a further four-year franchise extension) as ^Great Western Railway^ added insult to ongoing and repetitive injury. For me, that really was the shit the burglars did in your bed. The adoption of the name of Isambard Kingdom Brunel^s famous company, which actually built the railway, by one which merely profits from it is an act of breathtaking cheek. It^s up there with Mussolini appropriating the trappings of the Roman Empire.

The Advertising Standards Authority has said nothing about that, merely that the firm mustn^t imply public ownership. The company has escaped official censure for another advert, which described Brunel as ^our illustrious founder^. He is no such thing. The company Brunel founded was bought in 1948 by the British state, a purchaser that continues to own and maintain the railway he designed.

Meanwhile the owner of this reproduction GWR (Great Western Railway) grew out of the merger of some post-privatisation bus companies in the late 80s. FirstGroup plc doesn^t build things ^ that^s risky and expensive, as Brunel discovered on many occasions. Its mode of business is to profit from state enterprises thrust into private hands by Tories for ideological reasons.

Were it not for the availability of public assets at a bargain price, and state subsidies when returns disappoint ^ and if it actually had to build a railway in order to operate one ^ FirstGroup might find it tricky to give shareholder value. But, like a sewer rat, it^s perfectly evolved for the conditions in which it exists. Which is fine, I suppose. Right up until the rat tries to claim he designed the sewer himself, because his main aim in life has always been cleanliness.

So much in there that I agree with and I just wish I had the eloquence to express similar angry logic and indignation.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 23:11:56 »

Wow!!  Shocked

That's a rant and a half, even by David Mitchell's standard!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 23:42:10 »

His last paragraph had me hooting with laughter. Comparing FirstGroup with a sewer rat.  Grin Grin Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 07:07:46 »

He went to my school - say no more!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: