Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
05:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 05:45:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern / Govia Thameslink Railways - ongoing disputes  (Read 11647 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 00:25:08 »

Going back to the guards' dispute, what I'm not clear on is what happens in mid August when Govia impose the change to DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)). I've not heard anything to the effect that ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) are looking to prevent it, maybe because so many services are already DOO on Southern that contractually they don't have a leg to stand on. If that's the case, does that clear up at a stroke the current problems because an unavailable second member of crew is no longer an issue?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 14:10:53 »

GTR also decreed that self certification is null and void, so even 1 day sickness means needing a fit note, which then means a wait to see the GP, who are also in dispute with the government...

A GP will not (normally) issue a sick note until day 7. As for getting an appointment, my wife called for an appointment last week, the earliest available appointment for non emergencys....2nd August!

I do remember working for a company years ago who would ask for med certs from day 1 if the person concerned was felt to be swinging the lead (ie large numbers of single day absences on Mondays and/or Fridays), and proper sickness absence procedures had been followed to ascertain if there was any underlying reason.It did cause problems with GPs refusing to issue them, so the person concerned either had to ask the GP to issue a private med cert or see a private GP...........strangely enough the individuals sickness records seem to improve quite suddenly.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 14:29:53 »

GTR also decreed that self certification is null and void, so even 1 day sickness means needing a fit note, which then means a wait to see the GP, who are also in dispute with the government...

A GP will not (normally) issue a sick note until day 7. As for getting an appointment, my wife called for an appointment last week, the earliest available appointment for non emergencys....2nd August!

I do remember working for a company years ago who would ask for med certs from day 1 if the person concerned was felt to be swinging the lead (ie large numbers of single day absences on Mondays and/or Fridays), and proper sickness absence procedures had been followed to ascertain if there was any underlying reason.It did cause problems with GPs refusing to issue them, so the person concerned either had to ask the GP to issue a private med cert or see a private GP...........strangely enough the individuals sickness records seem to improve quite suddenly.

The company I have recently left allowed x periods of sickness in y months. A period of sickness was defined as consecutive working days absenses. so sick on Monday came in on Tuesday, realised you weren't better and took Wednesday off that was 2 periods of sickness, however taking the whole week off without returning was 1 period.
If taken more than x periods of sickness in the y months, you lost your bonus for the next bonus period.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 14:45:51 »

The company I have recently left allowed x periods of sickness in y months. A period of sickness was defined as consecutive working days absenses. so sick on Monday came in on Tuesday, realised you weren't better and took Wednesday off that was 2 periods of sickness, however taking the whole week off without returning was 1 period.
If taken more than x periods of sickness in the y months, you lost your bonus for the next bonus period.

Things have changed a lot over the years...........I always remember my first "proper" job in a highly unionised public sector environment about 30 years ago where you were "allowed" 20 days sick per calendar year before any action was even considered (yes, really, 20 days!)..........the number of people who had between 15-19 days off sick per year was amazing, it was really considered to be an additional period of annual leave, you would hear guys saying "I've only got a weeks leave left but I've got two weeks sick too"!

Conversely if you DIDN'T take "enough" sick leave and were perceived not to be playing the game, you could expect a visit from  the Union Convener suggesting a week long illness may be prudent to keep the averages up!!!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 15:58:24 »

Things have changed a lot over the years...........I always remember my first "proper" job in a highly unionised public sector environment about 30 years ago where you were "allowed" 20 days sick per calendar year before any action was even considered (yes, really, 20 days!)..........the number of people who had between 15-19 days off sick per year was amazing, it was really considered to be an additional period of annual leave, you would hear guys saying "I've only got a weeks leave left but I've got two weeks sick too"!

Conversely if you DIDN'T take "enough" sick leave and were perceived not to be playing the game, you could expect a visit from  the Union Convener suggesting a week long illness may be prudent to keep the averages up!!!

I actually exceeded 20 days sickness due to reoccurring tonsillitis which is now gone forever, but they only took over 2-3 periods of sickness which was acceptable!
If I had 20 individual days I think I would have been long managed out of the business!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 16:08:26 »

The railway does have a similar measure, agreed with the unions, called Managing For Attendance.  You trigger stage one if you have a certain number of days off sick, or singular instances of sickness.  If you have no medical reason and continue to take sick leave you go on to stage two and so on until the final stage, which is dismissal.

It's fairly easy to trigger stage one but not let it get serious enough to get to stage two, and any employee, especially with union backing, finds it gets harder and harder to just dismiss someone for anything other than gross negligence.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 16:27:43 »

There's a reasonably dispassionate article about GTR's issues on the London Reconnections site.

They highlight the following issues:

Driver Shortage
Rolling Stock issues
London Bridge
Ongoing Signalling Issues
Reactionary delay
Dwell time
Guards dispute

...and then they go on to try and explain some of the background reasons:  http://www.londonreconnections.com/2016/railway-roulette/

Paul
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 08:37:03 »

On the news last night (10pm ITV?) an interesting question was raised and I am curious as to the views of the forum...

In light of Southern's apparent ability to remove 350 trains from their timetable, causing further overcrowding and cancelling all week day trains from some stations in their entirety, apparently without consequence to franchise nor suitable compensation arrangements to passengers, does this set a dangerous precedent for other operators to pare down their service?

I ask this in light of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s apparent avoidance of declaring a void day following the complete suspension of Paddington services after the June derailment, simply by amending the timetable (read: slashing services).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 10:47:11 »

Nick I believe it is acceptable providing a certain notice period is given.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 11:01:49 »

It's a different scenario in that GTR, who run Southern, give fare income straight to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and are paid a management fee to operate the service.  Therefore their relationship with the DfT is very different - you could argue that it is the DfT that has allowed their service to become so frail at the moment.  The reason for the franchise model was because of the complications caused by the huge amount of work going on to improve the Thameslink network. 

There does also need to be some mechanism for TOC (Train Operating Company)'s to be able to change their timetable without penalty for things like engineering work which they don't cause themselves.

However, I agree completely that short notice changes to widespread problems that a TOC did cause themselves, such as ploughing one of their trains into an overhead stanchion, should be penalised in some way, with the 'void day' mechanism being the most sensible one that could be enforced.  Delay/Repay, when introduced, should ensure that delays are accepted with the normal timetable as the basis for claims - the Southern website states "Please note that whilst the amended timetable is in place then claims will be accepted against either the amended timetable or the normal timetable." which isn't as clear as I would like, but appears to say that if you turn up for a train in the normal timetable and your journey is delayed by more than 30/60 minutes you can claim 50%/100% of the cost of that journey.  If that's the case, then I think that is a fair way of providing compensation for longer term disruption.

P.S. Can anyone spot the slight 'error' currently on the Wikipedia entry:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govia_Thameslink_Railway

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 11:42:13 »

Oh, the irony!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 11:47:43 »

P.S. Can anyone spot the slight 'error' currently on the Wikipedia entry:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govia_Thameslink_Railway

That's funny. I wonder how long it has been like that? Aren't modern, media-savvy companies supposed to have people who keep an eye on injudicious edits of Wikipedia and suchlike?
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:32 »

That's funny. I wonder how long it has been like that? Aren't modern, media-savvy companies supposed to have people who keep an eye on injudicious edits of Wikipedia and suchlike?

Since 05.11 this morning (13th July) so not too long!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 13:05:11 »

Now gone...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 13:42:41 »

... but not lost forever: I took a copy, purely for the record.  Wink Cheesy Grin

The wording of that page on wikipedia, this morning:

Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) is a train operating company and torture device that operates the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern (TSGN) rail franchise. Within the franchise, GTR runs the Thameslink, Great Northern, Southern and Gatwick Express airport services.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 20:16:48 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: