17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 13:26:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Season ticket for odd length of time?  (Read 7206 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: April 22, 2016, 22:26:09 »

Can a season ticket be purchased for an odd time period.

I have 1 month & 3 days until annual leave (from Monday), so can I buy a season ticket to last me 1 month and 3 days?
 Liskeard to Truro being the route.
If not what would be my cheapest way of getting tickets for 1 month and 3 days please?

Peak time travel, on the very last day i am picking a hire car up from Truro for my annual leave so will only be 1 day on that day.

Sorry for the possibly simple questions, I haven't got internet, and national rail website is awful for mobile use,

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 22:33:39 »

Yes you can, and the season ticket calculator on National Rail gives you the option to find out the price.  Astute commuters can do this, always extending a monthly until the end of the week, and starting the new one the following Monday.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 23:04:49 »

Not really astute as odd days over a month will simply involve adding a peak day return to the price of a monthly for each day extended up roba week, when they would add the price of a weekly ticket

So certainly saves time in purchasing the extra days daily, but doesn't save any money
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 23:10:12 »

Not really astute as odd days over a month will simply involve adding a peak day return to the price of a monthly for each day extended up roba week, when they would add the price of a weekly ticket

So certainly saves time in purchasing the extra days daily, but doesn't save any money

Surely it does, as you are not then paying for the Saturday or Sunday? (I'm assuming a typical 5 day per week pattern.)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 23:23:31 »

Has to be continuous....so yes, saving between tickets can be achieved, but no sacmving to be made adding extra days
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 23:27:59 »

So that would make, for example, Bristol to Bath, 1 month + 3 days season:

^149.00 + ^8.50 + ^8.50 + ^8.50 = ^174.50

Yet the season ticket calculator gives a price of ^164.20.

I've worked a few other examples and none of them add the cost of x number of Anytime Day Returns to monthlies.

If you buy 1 month plus 7 days as one season ticket, it's cheaper than a monthly + a weekly.

Also, how do you add Anytime Day Returns to a Season where they don't exist?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 00:04:50 »

Odd date seasons are incremented on a daily basis using a table of multipliers of a base rate, which is the 7 day season.   Now a one month season is 3.84 times the 7 day, so the odd days come at a discount.  As examples one day is 0.13 X the 7 day price, 7 days is 0.9 X the 7 day price.

So a 1 month plus 1 week season combined costs just a bit less (by 10% of the 7 day) than the two separate seasons.

There is a table of separate multipliers for any number of days up to 30, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), but any odd season fare can be worked out as follows:

3.84 X base rate (7 day) per month
PLUS 0.64 for every 5 extra days
PLUS 0.13 for every extra day over a multiple of 5
with an absolute maximum of 40 X the weekly (the cost of an annual ticket).

e.g.  11 extra days over a month is 2 times 0.64 plus 0.13, not 11 times 0.13.

Something I'm not sure about is if the odd pennies are rounded up to a 5 or 10...

Paul
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 00:34:30 by paul7755 » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 06:46:54 »

Thanks guys, ^202.xx for 1 month plus 3 instead of ^184 for 1 month. An anytime day return is ^15.30 so a no brainier what I'm going to do!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:32:32 »

I sometimes think you just take a wild guess and make it sound as authoritative as you can.   The actual situation is as Paul describes:

There is a table of separate multipliers for any number of days up to 30, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), but any odd season fare can be worked out as follows:

3.84 X base rate (7 day) per month
PLUS 0.64 for every 5 extra days
PLUS 0.13 for every extra day over a multiple of 5
with an absolute maximum of 40 X the weekly (the cost of an annual ticket).

e.g.  11 extra days over a month is 2 times 0.64 plus 0.13, not 11 times 0.13.

Here is the full multiplier list as found in the fares manuals:

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 14:13:32 »

Here is the full multiplier list as found in the fares manuals:

Thanks for digging that out, one to save on the PC.

Paul
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 09:13:50 »

Required season was sold no problem. ^202.70.

As a plus the ticket office lady pro actively noticed my address might be wrong to the photo card, as my ticket doesn't go near the address held, so she updated my address as well.
I didn't even know they held my address!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:00 »

Thanks for the correction above....

I knew they held your address for a season, but I didn't think it was attached to your photocard number....data protection issues here?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:36:26 »

Can't think of any data protection issues.

The season ticket database would contain photocard number, name, address and there are options for phone number, email and marketing options should a customer want to provide that additional info*.

* naturally it also includes history of season tickets sold/replaced/duplicated/refunded/changed.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 13:06:33 »

Certainly no dpa issues with holding all info together unless it was leaked outside of their system.

Found it to be great customer service to notice potential incorrect address.

As my address is on the system, would GWR (Great Western Railway) return it to me if for example it was left on train as they have all my details?

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 20:47:11 »

Can't think of any data protection issues.

The season ticket database would contain photocard number, name, address and there are options for phone number, email and marketing options should a customer want to provide that additional info*.

* naturally it also includes history of season tickets sold/replaced/duplicated/refunded/changed.
Is this database shared between TOCs (Train Operating Company)?  I'm just wondering as I originally got my photocard from LOROL (London Overground Railway Operations Ltd) and bought my tickets from either LOROL, Gatwick Express or Southern.  SWT (South West Trains) had absolutely no record of me or my tickets.  Have things changed more recently?

On the original topic, I calculated that I saved quite a bit by purchasing odd period season tickets.  Why pay for the Saturday and Sunday, or days of leave, if you have no plans to travel anywhere.  With extra days costing around ^15, compared to ^50 for an Anytime Day Return, it worked out pretty well.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: