29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:32:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare Striker Threatened With Prosecution  (Read 12883 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2008, 14:39:17 »

Quote from the MTLS (More Train Less Strain) forum :

A fare striker travelling from Bristol to Oxford had her name taken when she reached Oxford and has now received a letter asking her to pay above the odds for her ticket plus an admin fee or  face prosecution.
Have any of the other hundreds of people who had their names taken receievd one of these letters?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 16:17:32 »

About time.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 16:45:43 »

As Mr. 12hours sunday pointed out, someone will end up with egg on there face, and it won't be first!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 16:58:05 »

There is some justice then! Hope they take that individual to the cleaners and set the standard for a future fare strike, they can't say that they weren't warned before hand, it was doing the rounds on the forums for months before!!
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 17:05:20 »

Hopefully FGW (First Great Western) will be lambasted on the media or even taken to court, as it's very unfair to critisise an individual and let others get away with it.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 17:08:23 »

Hopefully FGW (First Great Western) will be lambasted on the media or even taken to court, as it's very unfair to critisise an individual and let others get away with it.
How can FGW be taken to court? THEY'RE (Religious Education) THE ONES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LAW!!
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 17:19:44 »

If they were on the 'right side' of the law, everyone who 'broke the law' should have been prosecuted, not just an individual. It's not right or ethical to pick and choose someone at random where thousands followed suit.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 17:46:32 »

thousands followed suit??.thought it was a hundred or so

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 18:45:28 »

If they were on the 'right side' of the law, everyone who 'broke the law' should have been prosecuted, not just an individual. It's not right or ethical to pick and choose someone at random where thousands followed suit.

Same said for most things though, some just get caught by the wrong people at a guess. It is fair though, they have the right to do it to anyone they want!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
mada
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 20:19:15 »

I wonder whether she was counted as a fare dodger rather than striker as Ox-Rail agreed not to participate in the protest. I haven't received anything yet and I think if I do I'll probably pay it. It was really about making a point rather than breaking the law.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:03:31 »

I think I'm probably going to regret posting this, but here goes, anyway ...

I agree with mada - this lady travelled from Bristol to Oxford: against the flow, so to speak, of the well-publicised 'fare strikers' travelling into Bristol.  Therefore, she may indeed be being treated as a 'fare dodger', rather than a 'fare striker'.  However, it's interesting that FGW (First Great Western) have apparently only asked her to pay a penalty fare and an admin fee, to avoid any further action being taken.  Not unreasonable treatment, I'd say, for a normal 'fare dodger' - irrespective of what FGW may have decided to do about the 'fare strikers'.  The lady now has the option, having made her point, of paying the price (clearly, rather higher than her normal ticket cost) and having the matter closed.

For the record: I do not agree with fare dodging, I made a point of buying a valid ticket on Monday 28 January (which I have kept, in case vacman wants to check it! Grin )  However, I also want to express my support for FGW in their apparently measured response to the strikers - 'yes, we know you are unhappy, but there are still rules to be followed, please!'

On this particular point, I think FGW are indeed 'transforming travel' - in a positive way.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:24 »

Yes, if I were her I would pay up and close the matter too...though I just wish FGW (First Great Western) chose an 'All or none' view. I felt the way they treated the other 'strikers' by posting a friendly letter detailing the service improvements seemed highly professional and avoiding confrontation (and perhaps helping to stop further strikes).

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't 'strike' myself, and I feel I took a very wise decision by avoiding the trains altogether that day. But it just seemed strange to me that one was singled out and everyone else got away with it...
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 12:15:14 »

I believe the official response was that details taken would just get an information letter.
But if people refused to give details then discretion would be used on would happen to them.
Without full details it's hard to speculate on it.
mada
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 18:48:05 »

I received an "informative" letter today explaining the reasons for the issues and apologising for the poor performance. No penalty fare, no demand for payment, no anthrax!

Fair play really.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 18:55:02 »

I think that's sensible. There must have something about the lady that made her stand out (was a rather long journey - not a typical daily commute) as trying to take advantage rather than a genuine protestor.

So, let's hope that some of the speculation on the forum proves correct and some additional stock is heading our way. Anyone know how long before anything is confirmed?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: