22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 14:48:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[106] access for all at Devon stations report
[45] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: All Line Rover: must-see destinations?  (Read 33345 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2016, 20:31:26 »

As this is my final year with a young person's railcard, I'm planning on a ALR (All Line Rover) trip later this year to take advantage of the huge discount available on this ticket and burn some of my largely unused annual leave allowance.

I will start my week at either Cambridge or Cosham and don't need to return home at anytime if I'm doing 7 days.  If I end up going for 14 days, then I'll probably head home two or three times during the validity period.

Does anyone have any must-see destinations (both on and off the railway)?

On my list at the moment:
- Invesness to Thurso/Wick
- Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh
- Settle to Carlisle
- Ffestiniog Railway
- Possibly Cornwall again if I have a spare day or two (did most of the branches last year, but really liked St Ives)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 21:05:05 »

The far north line isn't actually that interesting, other than to tick it off the list.  I'd be more inclined to see whether you can get from Kyle to Mallaig or Fort William by other means and do the West Highland Line instead.

A trip down to Cornwall is recommended, and I'd also suggest you try and do the line from Edinburgh to Newcastle, making sure you sit on the coast side of the line. Finally, the Heart of Wales line is excellent, so a round trip including that and the Welsh Marches line from Newport to Shrewsbury is a good day out.

I did most of those when I did a Railrover in my final year of Uni.  I seem to recall it cost me ^80!
Merthyr Imp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 21:32:46 »

Don't miss Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth then up the Cambrian Coast line to Pwllheli (although it was better in the days of the old-style dmus when you could look over the driver's shoulder).

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 22:20:55 »

I'd recommending avoiding st Ives in school holidays. Same for Newquay.
They both get overrun with tourists and you can't enjoy the natural beauty of the areas as they are all heavily crowded.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 22:37:02 »

Across the Pennines from Manchester to Huddersfield. Through the longest wholly level tunnel on the network at Standege. A line that runs up hill and down dale through mill towns that were drivers of the industrial revolution.

And your plans to go to Scotland. Take the Caledonian Sleeper in one direction at least. Excessing to 1st Class for a solo berth and Sleeper lounge car access. And if you grab a Single Malt  as a nightcap, have it how you like. With Dry Ginger and ice just to wind up CfN!

Oh and the Cumbrian Coast (not to be confused with Cambrian). Varied scenery. Coast, mountain and nuclear facilities.

And do let us know a rough itinerary, or update while travelling. I regularly have a regional rover in my ticket wallet. Paths might cross.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 22:43:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 22:43:27 »

And if you grab a Single Malt as a nightcap, have it how you like. With Dry Ginger and ice just to wind up CfN!

I heard that!!  Shocked Roll Eyes Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 22:58:51 »

I have used a 14 day ALR (All Line Rover) the last two summers.

These accounts* might give you some ideas

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14256.0

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15842.0

*These accounts are in our Frequent Posters section which is only available to those who have posted a certain number of posts.

And if you grab a Single Malt as a nightcap, have it how you like. With Dry Ginger and ice just to wind up CfN!

I heard that!!  Shocked Roll Eyes Angry

Oh I am all for that!  You can pacify him by bringing back a sample though.   Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 23:20:52 »

Oh I am all for that!  You can pacify him by bringing back a sample though.   Grin

Indeed. A can of Canada Dry will only set you back a quid!  Wink Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 23:35:35 »

May I thank bobm here for his very kind gesture in gifting me samples of 'Highland Park aged 12 years' and 'Tomintoul Speyside Glenlivet'.

They are both unopened, in my dining room, awaiting a suitably special occasion. They are not to be glugged down with ginger ale!  Shocked Roll Eyes Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 11:08:07 »

Why not try some rarer routes. Grand Central 12.24 Doncaster Bradford You wind around what's left of the vast South Yorkshire Coal network. Then there's the Power station line from Knottingly to Selby via Eggborough and Drax.

Loco hauled on the Cumbrian Coast and drop off at Ravenglass for the Narrow (miniature) gauge

As well as the Ffestiniog you could also look at the Welsh Highland (in my opinion more scenic than the Ffestiniog),  although you'd probably have to use a  bus one way as it's difficult to fit in a return journey in a day. So maybe a stay at Caernarfon Porthmadog or Ffestiniog. If only one way recommend Porthmadog to Caernarfon direction with the climb from Beddgelert to Ryhd Ddu.

Does it cover the Overground? If so why not the Outer Circle? North, East, South and West London Lines. Then there's the GOB. Gospal Oak - Barking. Fascinating glimpses  into London Life!

Then there's the Stockport Stalybridge FO One way "Ghost Train" as featured last night in Paul Merton's Request Stops.

For a fuller Choice look at "Passenger Train Services over Unusual Lines"

http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/intro.htm

I'm not a track basher! (Honest)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 12:12:35 »

Invest a little more & fly up to Inverness on a cheapie....saves a day on the rover getting there/back
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 12:15:12 »

Does it cover the Overground?

Definitely.   Despite what some LO staff seem to think, LO is a 100% normal TOC (Train Operating Company) for national ticketing rules.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 13:47:10 »

Ah ... threads such as this remind me of my youth ... I think these days I would take an all line rover as an opportunity to see at first hand what's going on across the UK (United Kingdom) rail network, selecting destinations of rail interest and seeing the more regular network elements between.

Some selections to take in.  Corby and north from there. Lowestoft. North Berwick. Leeds to Lancaster. Stranraer. Whitby. Cambridge to Ipswich.   Wolverhampton to Walsall (looks like it's diverted via Soho now?). Some Welsh Valleys - perhaps Ebbw Vale and Maesteg?  And some I've not done such as Cleethorpes.   I HAVE been on a train that called at Shippea Hill, but not got off or on there ... and at the other extreme I expect might end up at Waterloo at some point.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 13:48:09 »

West Highland Line is an absolute must. The route from Edinburgh up to Aberdeen virtually along the coast is well worth it too IMHO (in my humble opinion).
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 16:47:25 »

West Highland Line is an absolute must. The route from Edinburgh up to Aberdeen virtually along the coast is well worth it too IMHO (in my humble opinion).

I'd second that about the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route, much more scenic than you might imagine. It also crosses the Forth Bridge which is a bit of an event if you've not done it before and you can continue up to Inverness from Aberdeen as I recall.

Also some very good deals on hotels in Aberdeen at the current time if you needed an overnight stop, although going by anecdotal evidence from colleagues, the place is a bit subdued these days...

You might also want to have a look at the Heart of Wales route too. You could do a nice (approximate) figure of 8 through Wales/the Marches - SWML (South Western Mail Line) to Swansea > Shrewsbury via Heart of Wales > Llandudno Junction > Blaenau Ffestiniog (or to Bangor & bus to Caernarfon for Welsh Highland) > Porthmadog > Shrewsbury > Newport via Hereford or to Crewe or Birmingham depending on subsequent destinations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: