Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:46:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: All Line Rover: must-see destinations?  (Read 33363 times)
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 12:48:42 »

.....would be interesting to know the details of the longest distance season ticket issued! I seem to recall a few from Exeter St Davids to London Zone 1.

You can get seasons from Berwick-upon-Tweed to London, quite pricey at ^2092 for a monthly!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2016, 13:07:32 »

Looking at my calendar, it seems that late September will be the earilest I can devote a whole week.

This is the plan for the first four days.  I have worked this out using a random week in July, as the timetable for September was not available when I started planning.  I plan on splitting this into two parts, returning home on the Friday morning (to reduce the amount of luggage carried and raiding my freezer for some home cooked food) then possibly getting the Penzance sleeper that evening.  But the plan for the latter part may change somewhat.

A few thoughts that come to mind.  Evening travel may mean no view, so I'll have to check daylight hours and where I am travelling at those times.  B&B options are also limited in some places (I'm thinking Fort William), although there shouldn't be a huge demand at that time of year.

The Fort William to Kyle of Lochalsh section keeps proving troublesome each time I try to rearrange the schedule.  I did look at car hire rental as an alternative to the limited bus service, but one way rentals are hideously expensive.  I'll have to think about this some more.

I have a business trip to Aberystwyth in a fortnight, so hoping to see a few local places whilst travelling there, so may change the ALR plan depending on what I see this month.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 13:13:25 by Brucey » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2016, 13:31:18 »

The Fort William to Kyle of Lochalsh section keeps proving troublesome each time I try to rearrange the schedule.  I did look at car hire rental as an alternative to the limited bus service, but one way rentals are hideously expensive.  I'll have to think about this some more.

Would you consider taking the train all the way to Mallaig?   See attachment for Mallaig to Kyle of Lochalsh journey example

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2016, 13:37:05 »

Would you consider taking the train all the way to Mallaig?   See attachment for Mallaig to Kyle of Lochalsh journey example
That looks like a good alternative, I'll do a bit more research into it.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2016, 17:54:17 »

I assume you have decided to catch the 10:58 from Cardiff to Llanelli in order to use the Swansea District Line, beware that if doing your ALR (All Line Rover) at the end of September then the Severn Tunnel will be closed and journey times between Paddington and Cardiff will be increased by approximately 30 minutes.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2016, 18:03:46 »

I assume you have decided to catch the 10:58 from Cardiff to Llanelli in order to use the Swansea District Line, beware that if doing your ALR (All Line Rover) at the end of September then the Severn Tunnel will be closed and journey times between Paddington and Cardiff will be increased by approximately 30 minutes.
Speaking of which...here's a link to the revised timetables now available on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website:
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering/severn-tunnel

Thanks to RobT and team at GWR.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 20:30:10 »

I assume you have decided to catch the 10:58 from Cardiff to Llanelli in order to use the Swansea District Line
If I recall correctly, it is also the only express service into S.W. Wales, I think the other services which use the Swansea District Line call at minor stations between Port Talbot / Bridgend and Cardiff and hence are just as slow as the Swansea trains.

If you're after rare track, given that you seem to have nearly three hours in Llanelli, couldn't you stay on the Fishguard train to Whitland (also getting the Carmarthen avoider line in)? The stretch of track between Pembrey & Burry Port and Carmarthen (through Ferryside in particular) is probably the most scenic section of track in south Wales in my opinion. Whitland station is not my idea of a good place to wait for a train though.

beware that if doing your ALR (All Line Rover) at the end of September then the Severn Tunnel will be closed and journey times between Paddington and Cardiff will be increased by approximately 30 minutes.
Good point, well spotted.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 22:01:47 »

If you're after rare track ...

See http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2016.htm

Try

Margam East Junction - Margam Moors Junction via OVE (Ogmore Vale Extension) line (125) PB03
    Mondays to Fridays:
1L05 0352 / 0357 Swansea - Paddington

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 22:36:02 »

I assume you have decided to catch the 10:58 from Cardiff to Llanelli in order to use the Swansea District Line...

Be aware that not all Fishguard trains are routed via the Swansea District Line and some use the main line and go around the Swansea station avoiding line and on through Gowerton. I've been on both.

Even when the Severn Tunnel is not shut, the connection into the Fishguard from the Paddington - Swansea at Cardiff train can be precarious.  It is a connection they will hold for a while and even let that 150 (if that is the allocated type) in front of the HST (High Speed Train) because of it going express after Bridgend. However, on one occasion in winter, it was a taxi onward for the few for the ferry on the late-running London train I was on.

I'm glad others have suggested the Mallaig/Kyle connection.  I've used it in both directions successfully (although I felt it necessary to say my prayers on the last occasion as we raced around Skye on the Stagecoach bus at 60 -I could see the speedo - as the driver made sure he had a stop for his sandwich and we got the ferry!).
Merthyr Imp

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2016, 22:44:41 »

I haven't been to Manchester Victoria for years, but on 6.7.16 do you think you're OK with a 5 minute connection - arrive from Huddersfield at 0733 and depart at 0738 to Southport?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2016, 10:51:24 »

Also it is a good 10+ minutes walk from Porthmadoc mainline to the Harbour. So if the Pwlhei train is late change at Minffordd your train stops at 11:35.

Re change at Man Vic Nationalrail website gives it as a connection.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2016, 11:28:13 »

Also it is a good 10+ minutes walk from Porthmadoc mainline to the Harbour. So if the Pwlhei train is late change at Minffordd your train stops at 11:35.

Re change at Man Vic Nationalrail website gives it as a connection.

Maybe, but it depends whether you want to run the risk of the rest of the day being thrown out of kilter.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2016, 15:19:33 »

The Mallaig ferry and Severn Tunnel closure have caused a slight rift in the plans.

I'll need to sit down and work out a new schedule.  I am considering flying to Edinburgh/Glasgow one evening, then working my way up to the Highlands, then back down south and into Wales.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 14:08:39 »

Be aware that not all Fishguard trains are routed via the Swansea District Line and some use the main line and go around the Swansea station avoiding line and on through Gowerton. I've been on both.
Good point, I've been on both routes too using the Fishguard boat train. Also, note that it is only the daytime boat train that avoids Swansea. Other Fishguard services call at Swansea (Mon-Sat it isn't just boat trains any more, there are 6 daytime services each way now (although some of those are basically ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves, eg. the one only from Clarbeston Road), plus the nightime boat train).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 20:32:15 »

Ahhh...the forth rail bridge gets my vote...I can still remember the sound of trains going over it. Although in this modern age it may be more dramatic standing underneath it rather than in the double glazed comfort of the train itself
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: