Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here]. Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
September 22, 2017, 11:33:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 19223 times)
Red Squirrel

Brexit simplified

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »

The nice new cycle track that's in the same place as the nice old cycle track, the one that used to connect with the Pill Path along the river and the path out towards Long Ashton but now doesn't. At least, not directly. However, there is an amusing road sign at the start of the guided section the other end of the bridge, saying "Car trap".

No, you're referring to the nice old cycle track. The nice new one goes under the Cumberland Road bridge (hence my use of the phrase 'under the bridge' ) and emerges more or less opposite the entrance to Underfall Yard. Here's how it looked on Google Street View in April 2017:

https://goo.gl/maps/yUHQBUZd1fq

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio. Sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
johnneyw

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar... and doesn't.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

The more I hear about this Metrobust thing......

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/strip-bristol-river-bank-cost-348042
Red Squirrel

Brexit simplified

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »

Interesting to see how George Ferguson's efforts to save us from having buses run through a museum are portrayed as a cockup...

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio. Sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
johnneyw

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar... and doesn't.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2017, 11:06:37 PM »

Interesting to see how George Ferguson's efforts to save us from having buses run through a museum are portrayed as a cockup...

Indeed, it is one of the few redeeming factors of this shambles. I have my reservations about his time in office but that decision was a correct one. The consequential execution of the revised route has been very much in the standard Metrobust mould though.
Bmblbzzz

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »

Run through which museum? But if Bathurst Basin bridge is too narrow, how could anyone have though the buses could run over Prince St Bridge. In fact, how could anyone have thought that anyway?

Day return to Infinity, please.
Red Squirrel

Brexit simplified

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:27 PM »

Run through which museum?

The M Shed complex.

But if Bathurst Basin bridge is too narrow, how could anyone have though the buses could run over Prince St Bridge. In fact, how could anyone have thought that anyway?

I'm not an expert on mental health, but you could do a bit of googling to see who was in charge of transport in Bristol when the MetroBus bid was submitted. Sept 9 2011 is the key date, incidentally - that'll be just over a year before George Ferguson came to office, if anyone cares about facts anymore.

martyjon

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2017, 11:34:30 PM »

When I was a child to get to my aunts in Blagdon the bus departed from Prince Street. I remember when we sat at the front of the bus looking through the window into the drivers cab a notice on the duty card holder in the cab of newer buses which said 'THIS BUS IS n FOOT 6 INCHES WIDE DO NOT USE PRINCE STREET BRIDGE WITH THIS BUS'. There were iron billets positioned vertically each side of the bridge on the approaches to it to stop vehicles wider than the bridge carriageways attempting to cross the bridge. Those billets are still there to this day although they are painted white with red bands of paint around them.

When I heard that this was the intended route of Metrobust at its inception I thought to myself, never, the bridge isn't wide enough for todays modern buses.

After a repair job estimated to take 3 months the bridge reopened earlier in the summer after that 3 month repair job lasting 2 1/2 years, mind you the bridge looks lovely with its cream and brown paintwork and its operational as well having been on the bridge the Thursday before last when the klaxon started as we were crossing it so we sat in the area by the tea / coffee stall on the Prince Street side of the bridge, had a tea and let my two great nieces, 4 1/2 and 2 in two weeks time. watch the bridge open and close, according to my 4 1/2 year old the spectacle was amazing.
Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »

The more I hear about this Metrobust thing......

..... the more I feel vindicated.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »

The nice new cycle track that's in the same place as the nice old cycle track, the one that used to connect with the Pill Path along the river and the path out towards Long Ashton but now doesn't. At least, not directly. However, there is an amusing road sign at the start of the guided section the other end of the bridge, saying "Car trap".

No, you're referring to the nice old cycle track. The nice new one goes under the Cumberland Road bridge (hence my use of the phrase 'under the bridge' ) and emerges more or less opposite the entrance to Underfall Yard. Here's how it looked on Google Street View in April 2017:

https://goo.gl/maps/yUHQBUZd1fq
I wasn't aware of that at all, so it's good to be alerted to it.

Day return to Infinity, please.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »

And as Metrobus build draws to an end ... rumours of more routes.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-one-step-closer-four-448460

So, as the plan stands as

• Ashton Vale - Temple Meads
  • North Fringe - Hengrove
  • South Bristol Link
  • Cribbs Patchway Metrobus Extension
  • Keynsham
  • Yate
  • Thornbury
  • Bristol Orbital

The first three are nearly done, how much longer, and chaos for the next five?
Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »

And as Metrobus build draws to an end ... rumours of more routes.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-one-step-closer-four-448460

So, as the plan stands as

• Ashton Vale - Temple Meads
  • North Fringe - Hengrove
  • South Bristol Link
  • Cribbs Patchway Metrobus Extension
  • Keynsham
  • Yate
  • Thornbury
  • Bristol Orbital

The first three are nearly done, how much longer, and chaos for the next five?

"Bristol Orbital" has, like a lot of the MetroBust propaganda, something of the space cadet about it.

Where else in the world but the West of England would you see plans for the expansion of something that hasn't even been built as yet? Especially when the first three routes are three years late and costing the local councils an extra £50 million that they don't have? Then there is the question of why routes - Keynsham and Yate - should be built in competition with the railways. Plus what route will the Clevedon service follow that the existing bus service doesn't follow already?

Hopefully, this time DafT will spot the dodgy business cases for the routes, and won't be put off by a chancellor needing a cheap "good news" story to throw into an austerity budget.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: