Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:55:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: And where has grahame been in the last 24 hours?  (Read 5760 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 20, 2016, 19:35:32 »

Pictures posted in the order they were taken

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 21:21:18 »

The 2nd one looks rather like Gatwick

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 21:28:55 »

Melksham from one of the Emirates via Paddington, Reading and Bath.  There is more detail than that which I'll take a stab at once others have had a go. 
Merthyr Imp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 21:34:00 »

The class 150 looks like Bath, and the HST (High Speed Train) must be Reading. Is the one above that at Acton?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 21:36:35 »

Melksham from one of the Emirates via Paddington, Reading and Bath.  There is more detail than that which I'll take a stab at once others have had a go. 

The class 150 looks like Bath, and the HST (High Speed Train) must be Reading. Is the one above that at Acton?

The 2nd one looks rather like Gatwick

Very interesting answers ... you're heading in the right general direction - those answers are all warm, but there are incorrections / inaccuracies too in all of them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 21:47:47 »

Fifth one is platform 3 at Hayes Harlington, so assuming the airport is in fact Heathrow?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 21:56:25 »

Fifth one is platform 3 at Hayes Harlington, so assuming the airport is in fact Heathrow?

And the train is in Heathrow Connect livery.  So definitely Heathrow.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 23:19:52 »

For the first one I'd guess North Africa, maybe Tunis or Algiers.

Unless it's Melksham after twenty years of climate change and the financial overspill from Digital Devizes.  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 23:29:38 »

The "obvious" answer for 1 & 2 is Bahrain. But why, if you land at Heathrow T4, and get an HC train that will go to Hayes, you need to get off at T1,2&3 to get a picture of an HEx train I can't imagine.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 06:11:29 »

I'll try King Khalid International Airport, Riyadh, or King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah, for number 2.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 06:31:07 »

Top two don't half remind my of my time in Houston, TX.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 07:05:40 »

Top two don't half remind my of my time in Houston, TX.

Where the first picture was taken was said to be modelled on the USA and Texas was mentioned.

I'll try King Khalid International Airport, Riyadh, or King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah, for number 2.

You have the correct country there ... an airport serving a city that's approaching a million in population, part of a province of around four million, but no direct flights to London, necessitating a short international hop at the start.  A lack of pictures at that intermediate point; I was purely transfer in the terminal, after dark and doing other things like catching up on emails.

The "obvious" answer for 1 & 2 is Bahrain. But why, if you land at Heathrow T4, and get an HC train that will go to Hayes, you need to get off at T1,2&3 to get a picture of an HEx train I can't imagine.

Treat me as a newby to the trains from Heathrow.

The third picture is a shuttle from T4 to T2/3/Central and the fourth the train running the connect service onward from there, in spite of the colours being HEX. It may have come from T4, but the only train showing on the board at T4 was to Central, and on the principle of "get the first available train as far as you can", I took it and changed.  The shuttle was a 4 car unit (don't know the number) although I seem to recall an 8 car unit on the books for the shuttle; the 'connect' was 360 205, identified from a second wider photo.   Perhaps someone can tell me if this was the normal train / mode of operation and where the connect came from. Maps showed it to start at Central?

On another topic - there is (now?) a ticket machine at T4 selling walkup tickets to offline stations.  At upper screens, it did only offer prices that took my breath away, but then on a later screen said "there is a cheaper ticket if you do 'not via London'; I was fortunate enough to know the geography and that that this would work for me.   Thankful for small mercies - it DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) offer, but pity the newcomer who arrives at T4 and doesn't know what to buy ... I might well have been taken in by one of the official touts and spent more than I needed going via HEX; probably as a newcomer would have researched, booked on line and collected from one of a couple of machines also allowing that.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 08:25:20 »

Picture 2 is the King Fahd International Airport, Dammam.

As for T4 trains, I could be several years (and service revisions) out of date - and it's not a link I've used, that I can remember. It looks as if HC now serves T1,2&3 only and HEx shuttles to T4. But from what you saw, they do seem to like cross-liverying.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 09:27:57 »

That was my next choice. I'll admit, I did have some 'inside' info that grahame was in Saudi Arabia this week.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 10:00:07 »

That was my next choice. I'll admit, I did have some 'inside' info that grahame was in Saudi Arabia this week.

Indeed - the first picture being taken in Dharhan outside the guest house where I was staying - there's no real chance of anyone working that out but it was journey's start (by taxi).   The bus stop outside didn't have any indication of routes, times, fares ... some things don't change the world over!

Not sure on the Connect / Hex side of things and liveries - yes, that was certainly a 'connect' train but with the purple not the orange.

Then ...
- Hayes and Harlington
- Reading
- [not identified]
- Bath Spa Station
- [not identified]
- Melksham.

Here are those two remaining pictures ... remembering that the originals are in order.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: