Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:56:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: SailRail to Ireland with an overnight break of journey  (Read 8966 times)
Steven

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 23:06:56 »

I'm back from my trip to Ireland. 
In the end I came to the conclusion that it was valid to have an overnight stop on the sailrail ticket.  It is possible to get the national rail journey planner to give an itinerary that starts before the earlier departure time using the advanced search and allowing an extra 2 hours for connections and travelling via Sandwell & Dudley.  I also looked up the ticket restrictions which are no break of journey except for connections purposes.  Finally I found the following condition in part 16 of the conditions of carriage about break of journey
(ii) stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day

My ticket was only checked once on the trains and it was accepted without any questions. 
I hope my experience is useful for someone else in future.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 10:27:58 »

In the Sail/Rail leaflet on Advances

You may not start, break, resume or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change from/to connecting trains shown on ticket or itinerary
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 19:33:48 »

In the Sail/Rail leaflet on Advances

You may not start, break, resume or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change from/to connecting trains shown on ticket or itinerary
An overnight stop where a journey cannot be completed in one day is not considered a break of journey:
Quote from: NRCOC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) (National Rail Conditions of Carriage)
For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated
as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than to:
(i) join a train at another station, or
(ii) stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or
(iii) follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s or Rail Service
Company’s staff.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 20:29:19 »

I think it's quite clear what the intent is though with the caveat on the ticket about not breaking your journey.  If you've booked a ticket that involves a ferry leaving at 0230 then you are expected to use it.
Steven

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 22:37:11 »

Chris makes a good point about advances.  I should have made it clear that I was talking about the SailRail standby tickets. 

I find the wording printed on the standby ticket a bit confusing.  The route is given as HOLYHD STENA_S ON DATE SHOWN.  I find that confusing because the date on the ticket and the date on the ferry reservation are different. It also misses the important fact that the ferry leg is a reserved leg and  you must travel on that particular ferry.  Instead it gives the impression that any Stena ferry on that date can be used. 

If you can get a ferry reservation for the 0855 sailing with a journey starting the previous day.  The overnight stop in a hotel does seem to be allowed. 

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and helped me find my way through some opaque ticket rules

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 06:19:02 »

It is truly easier to navigate the ferry from Holyhead to Ireland on a dark and foggy night with reports of icebergs. At least you have a rough idea of the direction before you leave.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: