Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:42:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offpeak return from Cardiff to Reading  (Read 3642 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2016, 10:26:51 »

Hi all, I have been helping a family get their son from Cardiff Central to Reading. The rest of the family are driving down the A34. Their son is currently on the 1L38 service on the east bound journey. He will get of the service and they will meet him outside the 3 pigeons (doesn't everyone love a pub as a landmark?!). They are then driving on to a family event in Surrey. The plan is to drop him off at Reading tonight  so he can return to Uni in Cardiff

Thinking about it on the return journey it would permissible (within the T&Cs of the ticket) to drop him off at Didcot where he can start his journey from there?

I believe this isn't an advance purchase ticket...just an off peak return.

Thanks all

BB
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:38 »

Yes it would be perfectly permissible, unless it was an advance ticket.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:51:22 »

Yes it would be perfectly permissible, unless it was an advance ticket.

Thank you - he is a nervous traveller (as are his parents by proxy!) so want to be sure of my facts.

Thanks again
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 11:42:33 »

Thank you - he is a nervous traveller (as are his parents by proxy!) so want to be sure of my facts.

As it should now just about be history, I hope that worked, despite there being no 3 pigeons at Reading. There are a few others it might be - e.g. Guildford, apart from that being some way from the station and on a traffic-free road. More likely you meant the 3 Guineas at Reading station. It's currently closed and boarded up for a major renovation, not that that stops you meeting outside it of course. There's no car access to in front of it though; the "southern drop-off" is just out of sight to the west.

Fortunately the mobile phone has rendered the noble art of arranging a reliable rendezvous obsolete!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:10:52 »

As it should now just about be history, I hope that worked, despite there being no 3 pigeons at Reading. There are a few others it might be - e.g. Guildford, apart from that being some way from the station and on a traffic-free road. More likely you meant the 3 Guineas at Reading station. It's currently closed and boarded up for a major renovation, not that that stops you meeting outside it of course. There's no car access to in front of it though; the "southern drop-off" is just out of sight to the west.

Fortunately the mobile phone has rendered the noble art of arranging a reliable rendezvous obsolete!

Stuving, I am indeed a muppet! I was getting mixed up with a pub in Banbury which indeed was called the 3 pigeons!

I believe they have been re-united so my ale-ography  knowledge - or lack of - didn't cause a problem!

Thank you for correcting me...I am know off to offer an apology (assuming they are not still walking around Reading looking for a non-existent pub)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 14:24:32 »

More likely you meant the 3 Guineas at Reading station. It's currently closed and boarded up for a major renovation,

Thanks for that news - I didn't know that, occasionally break my journey there for a Fullers pint or two to make a change from the Mad Bishop and Bear at Paddington.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 17:05:47 »

More likely you meant the 3 Guineas at Reading station. It's currently closed and boarded up for a major renovation,

Thanks for that news - I didn't know that, occasionally break my journey there for a Fullers pint or two to make a change from the Mad Bishop and Bear at Paddington.
......it's worth strolling 2 mins or so from Reading station down the road to the Greyfriar, excellent pub with lots of local ales.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 17:09:16 »

......it's worth strolling 2 mins or so from Reading station down the road to the Greyfriar, excellent pub with lots of local ales.

Thanks for the recommendation TG but the advantage of the 3G was it was easy to find for a nervous traveller arriving by train and some drivers who were not that familiar with Reading.

But I will bear your recommendation in mind Smiley
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 17:25:07 »

This all reminds me of the time, around 1980 (so many years BMP) that I was arranging to meet someone who as visiting Edinburgh. I suggested we meet at the Abbotsford, a bar in Rose Street. After I'd been waiting an hour, I started wondering where he could have gone by mistake. As time wore on I settled on one main possibility, and went to St Mary's Street where I found him waiting in the Waverley (now closed, I hear). What was left of the evening was largely taken up with his telling I was an idiot, as apparently I had muddled the two Scott-related names.

Sadly, I have to report that such lapses of memory (or whatever else lapsed that time) are even more common now than when I was half as old. But, now, at least mobile phones can rescue us from that source of embarrassment.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 16:14:19 »

Stuving, I am indeed a muppet! I was getting mixed up with a pub in Banbury which indeed was called the 3 pigeons!

You wouldn't want to pick up outside that one either - right on the corner of a busy cross-roads!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 16:16:28 »

You wouldn't want to pick up outside that one either - right on the corner of a busy cross-roads!

Well, yes and no Chris...at rush hour the traffic doesn't move very quickly!

Thanks everyone for your help the pick up from the right pub happened at the right place in the right town!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 16:20:07 »

At rush hour, the traffic tails well back, and you couldn't time your arrival for a red traffic light....just wouldn't be possible at any hour.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 19:21:15 »

It is indeed, and the owner who is mate of mine would I'm sure welcome the support :-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: