27/04/24 12:49 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 01:53:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Avocet Line - Exeter to Exmouth - incidents and events; services, stock and related improvements  (Read 132588 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 15:44:54 »

Basically you're a victim of the nationwide shortage of fast, long (more than one coach) reliable DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

FGW (First Great Western) have far too few units and those they have aren't that reliable.

Ideally the Exmouth line should be electricfied if Exeter ever gets the wires

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 16:04:38 »

Northern took back 10 142 carriages, probably not being used!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 16:09:12 »

Should also add, the Barnstaple hourly services means it is impossible to concentrate the 4 cars on the far busier Paignton -Exeter - Exmouth route.

The diagrams are as follows:
Paignton to Exmouth to Barnstaple to Exmouth to Paignton. Etc
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 17:03:24 »

i have an idea that would increase capacity and frequency between exmouth and paignton, all it needs is a certain service extending and one maybee two units from another toc, but you will think its sill so..
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 17:06:42 »

I would assume they'd do 3rd rail for Exmouth and Barny, as part of the Waterloo to Exeter line. (which I also assume they'd do with 3rd rail)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 18:00:36 »

Well no they wouldn't, as third rail cannot be installed to newly electrified lines.

Also, what business case does Barnstaple have for electrification of all places!

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 18:35:54 »

if swt's had one extra unit they could serve stations upto barns insted of fgw, freeing up extra units for exmouth and paignton
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 19:13:00 »

if swt's had one extra unit they could serve stations upto barns insted of fgw, freeing up extra units for exmouth and paignton

Or they could run more services to Paignton, which would be a much better use of resources.

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 19:44:21 »

Or they could run more services to Paignton, which would be a much better use of resources.

i will wave you off at the station when you travel to paddington on a pacer  Cheesy

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 19:46:57 »

im really sorry i misread your post, thats basically the same thing as im saying, but if fgw didnt have to worry about the tarka line the exmouth to paignton route could become alot more frequent

it would also offer another station direct services to london, paignton already has this
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 20:05:57 »

Slightly off subject, but I am quite fascinated by the speculation of electrification of branch lines in Devon.

I'm in my 50's but it is never going to happen, well certainly not in my lifetime.

I suppose it is something that will be addressed in the future - perhaps we will have electric trains with solar panels charging batteries etc.
 The units on branch lines are no more than glorified bus engines, so perhaps that is feasible.

Or alternatively, I think it's  Japan who use magnetic fields for motive power.

I suppose it is pretty radical and speculative, but all the time a version of HST (High Speed Train) 2 is being built on the old diesel format.
 Thinking how important transport is to our society and yet the railway infastructure has little changed in 150 years.

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 20:09:56 »

by the time they even think about electrification for us, hydrogen fuel cells will be alot more practical
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 20:42:03 »

We've had quite a few short formed trains on the Exmouth line this week, two cars vice four, and in the peak too - *groan*.

Out of interest - does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks.

Possibly some of the 15x has gone missing this weekend for strengthening services round Westbury. Leaving the 14x to cope unaided. Pilton Festival this weekend. Or Glastonbury Festival if you prefer.

Trundling gently round the SW
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 21:26:12 »

i will wave you off at the station when you travel to paddington on a pacer  Cheesy
One finger, or two?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 22:14:30 »

One finger, or two?

three  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: