Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 05:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:26:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Avocet Line - Exeter to Exmouth - incidents and events; services, stock and related improvements  (Read 132561 times)
julian

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2014, 20:41:56 »

Well, it appears that the recent storms have knocked some holes in the embankment between Exmouth and Lympstone. Also, on Sunday, a boat washed up on the shore with its mast across the track...

5mph speed limit on part of embankment that is under repair.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2014, 16:04:23 »

From the Exmouth Journal:

Further delays on the line!

There are fears that calls for new trains, ticket machines and extra Sunday services from Exmouth are falling on deaf ears.

With more than one million passengers a year, the Exmouth to Exeter Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line is the busiest branchline in the South West.

But Tony Day, chairman of the Avocet Line Rail Users Group (ALRUG), says that while First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) ^continued^ to listen it felt ^like a long time^ since they had seen evidence ^that they are taking any notice of what we say^.

He added: ^We appear to be making no headway on our three priority areas for the new franchise. ALRUG may have lost the battle for extra Sunday trains to run through to St David^s, not only for this summer, but^ for the longer term.^

He said that they had ^proven^ the demand through passenger counts and they ^thought they had won the argument^.

^We are now told it is cheaper and easier to shuttle one unit up and down between Exmouth and Exeter Central,^ he said. ^My personal fear is that a half-baked subsidised shuttle service will be little used and, in a year or two, will be withdrawn, thus not giving a service that connects with the main line a chance to prove its commercial viability.^

Mr Day said that ALRUG had had ^helpful correspondence^ with FGW^s engineering chief Andy Mellors about their ancient trains, but replacements were two years away. He also said there was ^little prospect^ of any more trains to prevent overcrowding in the early evening peak services and their plea for more ticket machines at smaller stations, like Lympstone, had so far come to nothing.

^First Great Western is keeping present services running in the face of enormous adversity, but the new franchise is already six months old, so a quarter of the current two-year period has already elapsed. In this context, the growing sense of frustration felt by the ALRUG committee could be seen as unreasonable impatience. I would say it is our job to be impatient, when we believe we are asking for reasonable, deliverable, affordable enhancements that would not only improve services for Avocet Line passengers, but generate more income for First Great Western.^
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 13:54:10 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2014, 17:27:28 »

I'm not convinced that the additional Exmouth-Exeter Central Sunday services will be poorly used. I'd have thought that quite a lot of the demand on weekends is people heading in to Exeter City Centre, for which Central station is the most convenient.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2014, 22:50:43 »

142 flashback... *shudders*  Shocked

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2014, 22:58:26 »

Seems to have been a Paignton-bound train, and in the winter, from the snow on the ground: no wonder you shudder!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2014, 13:53:04 »

We^re committed to improving line

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:10 AM

The piece ^Further delays on the line!^ (Journal, April 3, page 19) does not fully take into account service demand across Devon or on other branch line services operated by First Great Western in the South West.

The extra Sunday services we have run in the recent past, including Christmas specials, and will run again this summer in partnership with Devon County Council, demonstrates our commitment to making incremental improvements on the line before longer term improvements can be brought in.

We will run a total of seven journeys each way on a Sunday this year between May and September ^ providing a two trains per hour frequency, and a higher frequency service than other lines in Devon on a Sunday.

Services will be semi-fast, with some additional calls at Polsloe Bridge. While most services run to/from Exeter Central, a few will be extended to St Davids.

In the longer term we are actively working with Devon County Council to bring forward plans for a ^Devon Metro^ and a seven-day timetable, including two trains per hour between Paignton and Exmouth every day.

Furthermore, we will strengthen key peak hour trains across Devon this summer and we will also be increasing standard class seating and introducing WiFi on our High Speed Train fleet.

We have recently recruited more assistant ticket examiners to work on trains and are bringing forward improvements at a number of stations.

For example, we are looking at better information facilities for several stations, and are currently working with Devon County Council to deliver a new station at Newcourt from December.

Given our obligations to meet customer demand across all of our services in Devon, to run a half-hour Sunday service throughout the year is not possible with the availability of existing rolling stock.

We do however have a strong working relationship with ALRUG, value their engagement and support, and share Tony^s ambition.

We are working hard to secure enhanced services in the county.

James Davis
Media Relations Manager
First Great Western

John R

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2014, 14:15:24 »

It seems a bit odd that there's enough rolling stock to run a half hourly Sunday service in the summer, but not in the winter (except for December).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2014, 22:49:31 »

Great, but when?

Friday, May 9, 2014 7:00 AM

The response by First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) ^We^re committed to improving line^ in last week^s Journal gives a welcome public commitment to bring forward plans for a seven-day ^Devon Metro^ timetable, including two trains per hour between Paignton and Exmouth every day.

This matches the aspirations of the rail user group for the line and is good to know, but the question is when will it be achieved?

A seven-day half hourly service is said by FGW to be a ^longer term^ ambition ^ and that in the shorter term this is not possible with the availability of existing rolling stock.

The shortage of diesel trains is a national issue, but one which adversely affects Exmouth passengers here and now, through too frequent cancellations.

With passenger numbers growing and a new station opening on the line this year at Newcourt, the service will be under increasing pressure long before additional trains become available in 2017 as a result of electrification elsewhere.

The Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line Rail Users Group (ALRUG) has written to the Rt Hon Hugo Swire MP (Member of Parliament) seeking Government facilitation of efforts to provide suitable rolling stock in the short term.

ALRUG will continue to work with FGW to find ways of achieving improvements to our local rail services.

Tony Day
Chairman, Avocet Line Rail Users Group
Lympstone

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2015, 23:20:18 »

At its AGM (Annual General Meeting) on Monday, the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line Users Group published its manifesto for the next five years and the improvements it hopes to see for the line.

http://www.avocetline.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Manifesto-Web-Final.pdf

Matthew Golton, Bid Director at GWR (Great Western Railway), gave a presentation and hoped many of the items highlighted could be completed in much less than five years.

Nicely produced document and worth a read.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2015, 21:46:36 »

Great, but when?

Friday, May 9, 2014 7:00 AM

The response by First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) ^ ^We^ ^re committed to improving line^ ^ in last week^ ^s Journal gives a welcome public commitment to bring forward plans for a seven-day ^ ^Devon Metro^ ^ timetable, including two trains per hour between Paignton and Exmouth every day.

This matches the aspirations of the rail user group for the line and is good to know

That's easy for you to say...

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2015, 00:59:29 »

Yes, I'm rather inclined to give up quoting any press articles on this forum now.  Lips sealed

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2015, 07:03:20 »

Yes, I'm rather inclined to give up quoting any press articles on this forum now.  Lips sealed

I appreciate the quoting problem.  I have taken to replacing the quotes and pound signs in the articles with normal keyboard quotes to alleviate future problems, and remain with a task to write code to sort issues out.  Potentially a Christmas task.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:41 »

I appreciate the quoting problem.  I have taken to replacing the quotes and pound signs in the articles with normal keyboard quotes to alleviate future problems, and remain with a task to write code to sort issues out.  Potentially a Christmas task.

Thanks Grahame. In the meantime, I shall try to correct any I see, but the Exmuff Journal seems to generate so many such things that the wheat and chaff are not easily separable.

Chris - don't give up! Just edit the post immediately after posting to remove the extraneous rubbish. That way, it won't be replicated if requoted.

Now, please!
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2015, 15:13:49 »

Took the 0942 DIG > EXC (0923 from Exmouth)  this morning and the 2-coach service was full & standing - even after a few passengers had been asked nicely to shift their bags from seats. I don't know if this is a regular occurrence - it could have been something to do with today being Exeter's Xmas lights switch-on day - but it was good to see that GWR (Great Western Railway) had provided two guards/conductors to take care of door control etc and ticket selling/checking separately. And using the PA (Public Address) to clearly announce the next stop. Which just goes to prove that GWR can provide a decent service if they really want to.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2015, 23:14:35 »

Took the 0942 DIG > EXC (0923 from Exmouth)  this morning and the 2-coach service was full & standing - even after a few passengers had been asked nicely to shift their bags from seats. I don't know if this is a regular occurrence - it could have been something to do with today being Exeter's Xmas lights switch-on day - but it was good to see that GWR (Great Western Railway) had provided two guards/conductors to take care of door control etc and ticket selling/checking separately. And using the PA (Public Address) to clearly announce the next stop. Which just goes to prove that GWR can provide a decent service if they really want to.
  ......Xmas lights switch on? 19th November? Christmas is still over 5 weeks away! (Bah humbug etc)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: