08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 13:03:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Station and on board train announcements - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 200464 times)
Louis

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:31 »

Also, a fully functional auto announcer for Oxford should provide two or even three different announcements for each train, and more if there are delays, so it isn't a simple case of announcements not clashing just because there aren't two trains timetabled together. Having two voices at Oxford also future proofs it for the Chiltern plans of course...

Paul

The station staff at Plymouth were talking about having 2 voices (like at exeter st davids) in use instead of just the female because annoucements on platform 5/6 clash with the ones on 3/4/7/8, due to the amounts of trains that terminate on 5/6 when a train is arriving on 7/8.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2009, 18:55:53 »

Oxford has a male voice on the up side and a female voice on the down side and, with simultaneous announcements, it is simple and effective.

But at a relatively unbusy station like Oxford, I doubt there are simultaneous announcements. The station is not big enough for different "zones" of announcements, like at Clapham Junction. Even Birmingham New Street can cope with just Phil.

Which "relatively unbusy" Oxford station is this? There are plenty of announcements that are going on near the same time, eg 06 and 36 mins northbound XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) departures and 07 and 37 FGW (First Great Western) London stoppers, plus a slightly late 01 or 31 London-bound fast can butt in as well.

The different voices for different platforms work well. I find I just tune out of the ones that don't relate to the platform I'm interested in.

It may be a bit odd if adopted at a rural stop with one train an hour each way but no doubt someone will address that issue when they start to roll the system out across the network.

I was really thinking of a station like Clapham Junction, with a train every 30s off peak, and 13s at rush hour. Wink

But you have a point about being able to "tune out" of announcements you don't need. That is useful. Smiley
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2009, 19:10:36 »

Oxford has a male voice on the up side and a female voice on the down side and, with simultaneous announcements, it is simple and effective.

But at a relatively unbusy station like Oxford, I doubt there are simultaneous announcements. The station is not big enough for different "zones" of announcements, like at Clapham Junction. Even Birmingham New Street can cope with just Phil.

Which "relatively unbusy" Oxford station is this? There are plenty of announcements that are going on near the same time, eg 06 and 36 mins northbound XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) departures and 07 and 37 FGW (First Great Western) London stoppers, plus a slightly late 01 or 31 London-bound fast can butt in as well.

The different voices for different platforms work well. I find I just tune out of the ones that don't relate to the platform I'm interested in.

It may be a bit odd if adopted at a rural stop with one train an hour each way but no doubt someone will address that issue when they start to roll the system out across the network.

I was really thinking of a station like Clapham Junction, with a train every 30s off peak, and 13s at rush hour. Wink

But you have a point about being able to "tune out" of announcements you don't need. That is useful. Smiley

i use the monitors and tune out everything apart from this is a platform alteration
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2009, 00:03:39 »

The new CIS (Customer Information System) at Oxford introduced zoning of announcements (platform 1, Platform 2, concourse), so there was a deliberate decision made to have a male voice on the up and a female voice on the down. It also allowed the concourse to be taken out of most announcements, so its now a much quieter place. The only regular announcements on the concourse are the mandatory security announcements every 30 minutes. Most of the staff are now familiar with the system and select the areas they want a manual announcement to be heard in.

Measurements were being taken this week to adjust the timing of announcements for arriving trains.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2009, 01:05:48 »

Measurements were being taken this week to adjust the timing of announcements for arriving trains.

That's good. An extra 30-45 seconds should do it nicely!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 08, 2009, 07:32:34 »

One of the most annoying announcements is on SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) trains that split at Ashford. Especially if it is a stopper. After every announcement you would get "Would customers please note that this train divides en route at (long pause) Ashford International. The front four coaches will continue to x,y,z. The eight coaces will continue to a,b,c. Please ensure you are on the correct part of the train".

I feel like it has been etched into my brain. Sad
ldf1985

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2009, 12:38:38 »

The system at Westbury keeps crashing.  When it does, passengers are left with no automated announcements and only a First Great Western screensaver on the monitors.

Liam
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: June 03, 2009, 15:47:18 »

I was at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) this morning (around 10am) for about 40 minutes.  No automated announcements for any services.  Screens on platform 3 (the one next to the ticket barriers) were also down.  No attempt was made to make any manual announcements - they just relied on people looking at the screens that were working.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #308 on: June 04, 2009, 00:10:52 »

I was at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) this morning (around 10am) for about 40 minutes.  No automated announcements for any services.  Screens on platform 3 (the one next to the ticket barriers) were also down.  No attempt was made to make any manual announcements - they just relied on people looking at the screens that were working.

Amd I was at Slough tonight where there was a windsor train on plat 1 being announced with a hereford train on plat over the same set of speakers!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 20, 2009, 20:41:53 »

I heard an announcement from the buffet on a journey back from London this week which ended thus:-

"...... and a 24 hour licensed bar."

Can we have a 24 hour train service to go with this? Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #310 on: June 20, 2009, 21:00:41 »

I heard an announcement from the buffet on a journey back from London this week which ended thus:-

"...... and a 24 hour licensed bar."

Can we have a 24 hour train service to go with this? Grin

hehe the sleeper?  Grin but i agree in some locations night trains would be good
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2009, 21:51:32 »

Traveling down to Plymouth this moring on the 9.48 from Newbury was surprised on what sounded like a pre-recorded announcement for Liskeard to be pronounced Lisky-e-ard rather than Liskard.

I wondered why it would be wrong on what sounded like a pre-recorded announcement and what other similar mispronunciations exist across the west.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2009, 21:59:35 »

afaik the only pre recorded announcement is "Would the train manager please contact the guard" of course only used in exceptional circumstances (e.g. trespassers at Dawlish  Roll Eyes)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2009, 22:08:39 »

train manager contact the guard?

can he not talk to himself without an announcement?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2009, 22:44:17 »

Looks like you made a slight error there Mr Devon_Metro... Tongue

Although I am in no position to comment, considering my rather bizarre way of spelling Cinnamon in another Thread Wink Grin Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: