Delayed
07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 09:21:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[117] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[61] access for all at Devon stations report
[39] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[14] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Referendum - result of vote, and implications for transport in the UK  (Read 30383 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 10:42:50 »

The whole thing was flawed on so many levels, particularly the 'populist' campaigning tactics, it probably should never have happened, with the decision being left to parliament.

oh completely flawed - public weren't demanding this, simply Cameron trying to deal internally with UKIP that made him make unconditional offer to his MPs (Member of Parliament).

And that, dear friends, is *really* what we ought to be angry about.

......well they were elected on a manifesto committing them to an In/Out referendum on the EU» (European Union - about).

For whatever reason the pledge was made, some credit must be given to Cameron for standing by his manifesto pledge, even though they are not binding. Farage & Co should take note

Convincing enough. If we ignore this one, there won't be any point in any more, if we can just choose to ignore afterwards. I hope we all hold out for a change in UK (United Kingdom) politics & reject any more of the same.

I'd be happy enough to never have to vote in another referendum, we're not used to them as a nation, in fact, this is only the third national referendum in our long history as a nation. I'd rather there was robust debate in the Commons and a free vote on such issues as this.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 10:48:20 »

Yes, you need to have the intellect to be able to analyse and present the data in an objective manner and not resort to petty name calling, certainly not in a public forum. Some of the analysis is very interesting and confirms some preconceptions I had. Other patterns I was quite surprised by.

Careful - it's not ANALYSIS at all - purely based on a couple of small polls afterwards. There is NO actual data on age or other demographics except location.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 10:50:38 »

Democracy means that everyone's vote is equal.

True, but it is nonetheless interesting to analyse the data and look for patterns (which, it has to be said, has mainly been done in an objective, non-judgemental manner where I have encountered such analyses at source). It cannot be argued that certain demographics had certain overall preferences.

The whole thing was flawed on so many levels, particularly the 'populist' campaigning tactics, it probably should never have happened, with the decision being left to parliament.

Analysis is interesting but weaponising it/drawing conclusions in the way that has occurred is absolutely wrong - take a look at any social media platform and you will see what I mean.

Yes, you need to have the intellect to be able to analyse and present the data in an objective manner and not resort to petty name calling, certainly not in a public forum. Some of the analysis is very interesting and confirms some preconceptions I had. Other patterns I was quite surprised by.

On the flip side, have you seen some of the out and out pure racism/xenophobia being dished out by people purporting to be 'leave' supporters over the past few days? Some of what I have read frankly makes me ashamed to be British and is utterly appalling and ignorant, although this just follows on from the sub-gutter level campaigning that has gone on. I think this referendum has done more to divide our country than any other event that I can recall.

I'm sure any decent person would find racist abuse disgusting, from supporters of whatever campaign be it political or whatever, I know I do, however I don't see the actions of a few morons as a reason to feel ashamed of my Country..........I'd say that the fact that such behaviour is almost universally accepted as unacceptable in Britain is a reason for pride.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:02 »

I didn't hear many complaints when Brown succeeded Blair though.

I for one was pretty appalled when this happened and he didn't have the balls to put himself to the electorate, hence why I mentioned it!

Sadly, a general election really needs a strong, organised opposition, particularly in the divided situation we find ourselves in (a 52/48 majority is hardly convincing, whichever side you fall into). The primary opposition party is currently beginning to implode...

But it's completely normal on a change of Prime Minister not to have an election.  Didn't with Jim Callaghan taking over from Harold Wilson. Nor when Major took over from Thatcher.  You vote for a party, not a PM.  (Actually you vote for an MP (Member of Parliament), but the reality is that most people are voting for the party which their candidate represents.)  And it makes sense too, as given that a PM has to step down at one point or another, it would be hugely disruptive if every time one did, it triggered an election.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 11:13:59 »

In this instance, I expect the new leader to want a fresh mandate, especially as there was nothing in Cameron's mandate covering post-Brexit....
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 11:39:33 »

EU» (European Union - about) money doesn’t come by magic from nowhere, it comes from the constituent countries.  I’d far rather that funding for Cornwall came direct from HMG in London without being creamed off by EU administration, bureaucracy, and corruption. 

Money spent by EU = Money put into EU – cost of keeping thousands of EU bureaucrats in a lifestyle we would all like to have.

You are right that EU money comes from the tax-payer - mainly. Some comes from tariffs on imports and fees, but the vast majority comes from subscriptions by member states. Plus a lot is spent on Eurocrats, although whether working in Brussels hundreds of miles from home is a lifestyle we would all like to have is open to debate.

The European Parliament budget for 2015 was €1.795 billion, of which 34% (€610.3 million) paid for staff, interpretation, and translation costs. Divide that by the 55,000 staff, and you get a massive fat-cat average salary, still taxable at home, of just under €11,100 pa, about £9,120.00, albeit more since last week in British terms. Someone has been a little sensationalist somewhere. Read any of the newspaper articles about the last pay rise, remove the words "fat", "massive", "inflation busting" etc, plus any mention of Jean-Claude Juncker's pay package - using the president's salary to demonstrate how highly paid the typists are is a standard media ploy - and you are left with a much more down-to-earth truth.

55,000 employees over the 28 member states averages 2,000 per nation member. Smaller states - Malta, the Baltics etc - will use up less resource, but not commensurately as we will see, so let us assume double that number are involved in administering the British interest, say 4,000. Let us assume for just a moment that those 55,000 employees, including "our" 4,000, actually do something other than drink coffee all day in subsidised canteens. What do they, and the EU generally, do that we will now have to do for ourselves?

An obvious place to start is in translation. Every major EU document has to be rendered into all of the 24 official and working languages, plus at times co-official languages such as Welsh and Catalan. As every member of the Parliament can address the house in his language and hear simultaneous translation of debates, someone must be able to translate discussions on pan-European electrical standards from Estonian into Maltese. This is why a simple average of people per nation pro-rata to populace wouldn't work - tiny states with their own language need as many staff on the translation side as states such as Germany and Austria, with a shared language but many times the populace. We might not need such wide skills as we negotiate our new trade agreements, but we will need language skills that are fit for the purpose, at a time when the number of language students at all levels is dwindling steadily. Since 1972 also, the EEC / EU has provided this service for us, albeit no doubt sometimes by our own people, when negotiating with governments outside of the European bloc. We will need all that and more for ourselves. It is no good saying that the foreigners had better come here and speak English if they want us to sell things to them - at best that is rude, and at worst likely to make them buy from somewhere who cares enough to learn the lingo. Wherever I go, I try to learn hello, goodbye, two beers please, thank you, and in some cases I surrender, and any other useful phrases. It makes for a more pleasant stay, even if the rest of the conversation has to be in English. At a national level, that is so much more important.

Speaking of trade agreements, we haven't really done much of that since 1972. The EU as a body negotiated over 50 that we are still party to until we formally leave, plus of course we have unfettered access to the markets of the other 27 member states. Now I think of myself as being reasonably intelligent, although no Donald Trump, and I have in the past interpreted and applied the law relating to Social Security, plus various laws relating to dishonesty and the administration of court proceedings. I once said that a particular regulation introduced by Statutory Instrument was probably beyond the Minister's powers, and would be overturned, leaving administrative chaos until it was and a bill much higher than the intended savings. My voice was too small and lowly, but I was right, and the House of Lords finally agreed with me 18 months later after the government had pressed on despite losing test cases in the High Court and Court of Appeal. But I would never be capable of negotiating or drafting an international bilateral trade agreement, compliant with WTO rules. I might, at a push, get away with adapting an existing one to fit a tiny island nation somewhere in the South Pacific, desperate to offload its surplus coconuts in exchange for flood defence know-how, but as to Canada, the US, Switzerland and the rest - not a chance. As with building nuclear power stations and everything else we haven't done for more than a decade, we have let the skills lapse. A whole generation of the Civil Service has passed from joining to retirement drinks at the Knights Templar, myself included, since we joined the then EEC, and we do not have the skills needed. We may get some as we repatriate our civil servants from the EU, although I wouldn't mind betting there are few who could do the job, being only so many fish in the pond.

Our domestic law is the next problem. Although the EU has been blamed for over-regulation, a lot of the things it has been accused of are actually subject to our own laws. There are many unsung EU regulations that, if properly applied, would have spared us the foot and mouth epidemic, and have probably staved off a number of other foul deeds. On the other side of the coin may be ash die-back, I don't know. But suffice to stay that most of the standards set by the EU for foodstuffs, human and animal, construction materials and methods, including Hinkley C, medicines, and a thousand other things will have to be rewritten into our domestic law.

My own former Department of the Civil Service cut thousands of jobs (sadly, not mine) over a period of years but is now hiring. That does relatively simple stuff. As we don't have the skilled negotiators in-house to strike the deals, which will include negotiating and consulting with business at home as well as governments abroad, nor the necessary legal draughtsmen, nor the people at University studying the subjects required, we may well have to draft people in from industry or employ consultants to do work we aren't currently doing but have suddenly thrust upon our own shoulders. That will not come cheap.

It doesn't end there. I currently hold an EU driving licence, valid for another 10 years until I have to do anything, which entitles me to drive in any member country and, by EU bilateral agreement, in the US and other countries. I have an EU passport valid for another 7 years. What will replace those? Am I going to have to buy an international driving licence and a visa for a holiday in France?

Some government Departments may shrink, although most have been cut back to the bone already. Energy and Climate change won't need people to count new wind panels and solar turbines or send out the subsidy cheques as we cease to be bound by European agreements (agreements, note, we agreed them) on pretending we are doing something about carbon dioxide emissions. But Trade and Industry, the Foreign Office, the Treasury, and others will need thousands of new faces. Lead negotiators, advisers to Ministers, legal draftsmen and the like will be at the top of the Civil Service pay structure, if not beyond it. Close to the Minister, we are talking Sir Humphrey, not Bernard, and certainly not Four Track, Now! (ret'd). They will sit atop a pyramid beginning, top down, with lesser negotiators who will turn the lofty ambitions agreed into the nitty gritty minutiae, then the people who will write it all down in both languages, passing it to and fro to iron out idiosyncrasies, (particularly difficult when dealing with the US) the lawyers who will intensely scrutinise every word with an intense scrute, right down to the guys who arrange diaries, meetings, travel, hotels etc, which is no mean feat in itself. On top of all that, we will need to maintain a trade presence within the EU, if and when we can negotiate an agreement with our current biggest trading partner.

We may get 4,000 back and have to hire 20,000, and they won't be on 9 grand a year. We will be able to pay for part of them from the subscription we won't have to pay (a lot less than the £350 million gross per week that was bandied about) and by not replacing the EU spending on Wales and Cornwall.

All of which makes me wonder. We could end up with a general election because of all this, which is not an absurd idea. I understand why the Prime Minister has not sought to call an election - he would need a big majority of MPs (Member of Parliament) to agree to it under the Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011, and this is a party issue, not a government issue. The referendum was intended to unite the Conservative Party, even if it has ended up splitting not only that but the Labour Party.  Given that 75% of MPs were against leaving, as are probably a few leading Brexiteers, could we end up with a Prime Minister who decides that it is an issue on which he or she should seek a clearer mandate than the referendum gave by going to the country on the actual process and legislation that would be needed to separate from the EU? We could end up with a government elected on a manifesto of effectively delaying departure for 10 years, to give most of the "leave" voters time to die, then holding a second referendum where as independent a body as you can find would analyse every single argument put out by both sides and publish the truth.

As to ChrisB's point:
"Convincing enough. If we ignore this one, there won't be any point in any more, if we can just choose to ignore afterwards"
- spot on. The point in this one was not to decide if we should leave the EU or not, but whether enough Tory voters could be persuaded not to vote UKIP. It was daft setting a simple majority as the benchmark on such a major constitutional issue, although had it been a 60% majority needed and the Out camp had manage 59.999%, peace and harmony would not have been restored. The Prime Minister would never have promised the referendum if he had not been 100% certain of winning.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 11:43:46 »

I'm expecting the new Tory leader will go for an election - they'll have to. I didn't hear many complaints when Brown succeeded Blair though.
That was my first thought - then the cynical me reminded me that one of the first things the Tory government did on election was to introduce 5-year fixed-term parliaments where I believe only a 'No confidence' vote with at least a 66% majority could alter (don't quote me on the figures, but I am fairly certain that was the case)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 11:58:09 »

It was daft setting a simple majority as the benchmark on such a major constitutional issue, although had it been a 60% majority needed and the Out camp had manage 59.999%, peace and harmony would not have been restored. The Prime Minister would never have promised the referendum if he had not been 100% certain of winning.
I do think that there may be something to be said for making a result > 60% for one side a 'binding result' and a closer outcome an 'advisory result' of a referendum, although quite how an 'advisory result' should be  handled I don't know. In this case perhaps it would also have been an idea to agree to the demands made before the referendum (by the Plaid Cymru and SNP leaders, if I recall correctly) that action should only be taken if all the constituent nations of the UK (United Kingdom) agreed at the referendum.

We now have an agonising suituation where part of the country strongly wishes to remain a member of the European Union, while others clearly want to leave, with many in between. How can this be resolved? Were there to be a general election, and 'Keep Britain Together' party, pledging to overturn the referendum result in order to keep Scotland in the UK, would struggle to attract English voters who want to leave the EU» (European Union - about) by the looks of things.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 12:16:04 »

In answer to FtN.....rather than a series of quotes....

Negotiators etc - yes, we'll have to hire them in - I understand Mr Carney at the Bank of England knows some pretty good Canadians :-)

All the extra staff costs in Government can easily come out of the £350million (less our rebate) that we pay over each week - I think a net £260million or thereabouts? (yes, that is the correct outward payment to the EU» (European Union - about)) There is no way the extra staffing costs will get anywhere close to that figure. But it does mean we won't be able to keep up the regional grants that the EU currently makes.

EU Law - has been passed into UK (United Kingdom) law. There would be a complete review post leave, but nothing would automatically be repealed/die on the day we leave as it will still be part of UK law. WE would have to physically repeal any we no longer decide we want to keep. That'll keep MPs (Member of Parliament) busy for a few years!

EU Driving Licence would be part of the leave negotiations.
EU Passport will expire at its expiry date. You will renew it for a UK passport and yes, use the 'All Other Passports' queue when abroad. Visas will be subject to the negotiations, but likely to be needed, I think - but similar to obtaining an ESTA for the USA, it'll be a quick online application.

General Election - the new leader has no mandate & thus will want to go to the country. Along with the 'no confidence' vote way of avoiding the fixed term Parliament, there is a simple vote required of 2/3 of MPs. I can't see Labour (nor the SNP) standing in the way of this - especially as Labour may think they stand a reasonable chance of winning. I don't believe any party will stand on an 'ignore the result' ticket either - too many constitutional crises elements in that.

The LibDems have already tried to get the popular vote by stating that they'll stand on a 'get us back in' ticket. Note Get Back IN ticket, not an 'ignore the vote' ticket. So possibly another hung Parliament unless my suggestion of a National Unity Government gains traction....in my view, sorting out the way forward is well above Party politics.

Re the referendum - I think the only way forward on these is to say that to change the status quo, a lead of at least 5.1% is needed - the extra 0.1 to avoid a vote of x.9999 being seen as close. The extra 0.1% would need to be explained thus, to avoid claims of 5.09999% being declared as too close.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 12:23:59 »

(by the Plaid Cymru and SNP leaders, if I recall correctly)

Sinn Fein & the SNP, I think - Wales voted OUT.

We now have an agonising suituation where part of the country strongly wishes to remain a member of the European Union, while others clearly want to leave, with many in between. How can this be resolved?

Unfortunately, the SNP will probably get its way for another independence referendum, on a join the EU» (European Union - about) ticket.

However, their economy is a lot worse off now than when the original one was lost - indeed, the oil price has totally tanked and their economy is pretty close to recession. Once the Scots realise this, I think a number will vote against and to stay in the UK (United Kingdom) - as will presumably all those (over 1 million) that voted Out - that's 38% to stay in before they start counting the others. So the SNP may well still not get their mandate - and the EU haven't said on what terms they could join yet. Finding their EU payment might be hard.

Were there to be a general election, and 'Keep Britain Together' party, pledging to overturn the referendum result in order to keep Scotland in the UK, would struggle to attract English voters who want to leave the EU by the looks of things.

See above - called the LibDems - but even they recognise the situation, and will stand on a re-enter ticket, rather than an overturn/ignore tiicket.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:51:36 by ChrisB » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 12:29:47 »

FT,N for PM!

He writes more sense on any number of different topics, than I've ever heard coming out of the mouths of politicians !
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 13:10:11 »

FT,N for PM!

He writes more sense on any number of different topics, than I've ever heard coming out of the mouths of politicians !

Thanks for the kind words, but no thanks. Politics is a dirty job, best left to people who think they can be popular all the time everywhere. I'm pragmatic (and cowardly) enough to know that if I were elected PM, at least two thirds of the electorate would not have voted for me, and some of them are nutters.

In answer to FtN.....rather than a series of quotes....

All the extra staff costs in Government can easily come out of the £350million (less our rebate) that we pay over each week - I think a net £260million or thereabouts? (yes, that is the correct outward payment to the EU» (European Union - about)) There is no way the extra staffing costs will get anywhere close to that figure. But it does mean we won't be able to keep up the regional grants that the EU currently makes.

The net outward may be £260 million, but after direct EU spending on British projects and regions, the actual cost is a great deal less, and that without counting the added value of trade. Nissan established their factory in Sunderland (5,000 jobs) to gain access to the single market, and export over half of them. Almost 60% of cars built in the UK (United Kingdom), most by companies owned overseas, are exported. If, as is likely, the exports to Europe become subject to tariffs, it may be cheaper for them to up sticks.

EU Law - has been passed into UK law. There would be a complete review post leave, but nothing would automatically be repealed/die on the day we leave as it will still be part of UK law. WE would have to physically repeal any we no longer decide we want to keep. That'll keep MPs (Member of Parliament) busy for a few years!

We will probably find that a lot of the laws we don't like are actually our own, and that a lot of the EU law sounds rather sensible. Either way, a small "c" conservative assessment shows at least 70 Acts of Parliament will be needed to disentangle us.

EU Driving Licence would be part of the leave negotiations.
EU Passport will expire at its expiry date. You will renew it for a UK passport and yes, use the 'All Other Passports' queue when abroad. Visas will be subject to the negotiations, but likely to be needed, I think - but similar to obtaining an ESTA for the USA, it'll be a quick online application.

Not sure about the passport - an institution we are not part of can hardly ask another country to look after us, nor intervene if they don't? As for ESTAs, the US was talking of scrapping them in view of the perceived danger from Europe. Even if they don't, we may find that to be one of the more difficult preliminary agreements to negotiate. Even then, it cost me $15.00 or thereabouts earlier this year. As I like to visit Europe at least twice a year, I could do without an extra charge.

General Election - the new leader has no mandate & thus will want to go to the country. Along with the 'no confidence' vote way of avoiding the fixed term Parliament, there is a simple vote required of 2/3 of MPs. I can't see Labour (nor the SNP) standing in the way of this - especially as Labour may think they stand a reasonable chance of winning. I don't believe any party will stand on an 'ignore the result' ticket either - too many constitutional crises elements in that.

The LibDems have already tried to get the popular vote by stating that they'll stand on a 'get us back in' ticket. Note Get Back IN ticket, not an 'ignore the vote' ticket. So possibly another hung Parliament unless my suggestion of a National Unity Government gains traction....in my view, sorting out the way forward is well above Party politics.

All depends on how many MPs are willing to stick heads above the parapet and risk being seen as asking the people to get the right answer. It is possible.

Re the referendum - I think the only way forward on these is to say that to change the status quo, a lead of at least 5.1% is needed - the extra 0.1 to avoid a vote of x.9999 being seen as close. The extra 0.1% would need to be explained thus, to avoid claims of 5.09999% being declared as too close.

5% would do. 4% is seen as a normal margin of error in most polling.

Now, please!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 13:36:27 »

I'm expecting the new Tory leader will go for an election - they'll have to. I didn't hear many complaints when Brown succeeded Blair though.
That was my first thought - then the cynical me reminded me that one of the first things the Tory government did on election was to introduce 5-year fixed-term parliaments where I believe only a 'No confidence' vote with at least a 66% majority could alter (don't quote me on the figures, but I am fairly certain that was the case)
The Act though could be repealed in the normal manner. Although maybe the House of Lords might try to stick its oar in.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 14:25:36 »

The net outward may be £260 million, but after direct EU» (European Union - about) spending on British projects and regions, the actual cost is a great deal less, and that without counting the added value of trade.

Indeed, but you were looking at the cost of additional civil servants - which is easily covered by either our net or gross contribution to the EU. Thus the regional grants could continue, but won't, seeing as the bottomless pit that is the NHS will still be massively popular.

Not sure about the passport - an institution we are not part of can hardly ask another country to look after us, nor intervene if they don't?

I meant that they'll revert to being a UK (United Kingdom) passport, but they won't change them all in one go, but continue use of them until expiry.

As for ESTAs, the US was talking of scrapping them in view of the perceived danger from Europe. Even if they don't, we may find that to be one of the more difficult preliminary agreements to negotiate. Even then, it cost me $15.00 or thereabouts earlier this year. As I like to visit Europe at least twice a year, I could do without an extra charge.

That'll be the downside, but I think EU Countries will go down the online application ESTA style as they won't be wanting to up their presence in staff in the UK to deal with the 000s of applications.

All depends on how many MPs (Member of Parliament) are willing to stick heads above the parapet and risk being seen as asking the people to get the right answer. It is possible.

Only if they want a constitutional crisis to deal with as well as this. Unlikely in the extreme.

Edit to correct quotation syntax - no change to text
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 16:56:54 by Four Track, Now! » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 15:23:13 »

The Act though could be repealed in the normal manner. Although maybe the House of Lords might try to stick its oar in.
In the event of a change of government, yes. However, this is just a change of PM for the current government, so would they want to repeal their own Act?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: