Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:09:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Question  (Read 3737 times)
shadow

View Profile Email
« on: February 13, 2008, 19:31:31 »

Hi
Sorry if this is in the wrong area, just got a question i'm hoping someone out there in web land would be able to help me with...
I was on my way upto Cheltenham this morning, and we stopped a bit down from the Gloucester junction.
i look back out the window when we start moving, and see that theres no track, when theres suppose to be track...we're going up the down track. we move back onto the right track at the gloucester junction.

i ask the TM(resolve) as we're pulling into Cheltenham, and he says it was because of a... i think he said Track circuit failer???

I might of heard him wrong, i might be talking a load of nonesense..
But can someone please shed some light on if i got that right, and what it is/means in laymans terms, please?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 20:13:44 »

Track circuits are the way the signalling systems detect trains. A failure = signals don't work. But I'm surprised you ran wrong line rather than the driver be advised to procede at caution and to maintain stopping distance within sight. Maybe that section is reversibly worked, but I wasn't aware it is.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 20:17:45 »

There is 'some' reversible between Tuffley and Gloucester Yard, unusual to use it though as trains usually cautioned over affected section for track circuit failure as John R says

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 20:26:05 »

There is 'some' reversible between Tuffley and Gloucester Yard, unusual to use it though as trains usually cautioned over affected section for track circuit failure as John R says

It's possible that whilst it was TC(resolve) failure, TC failure can be because of a broken Rail.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 20:27:53 »

i doubt they could proceed at caution as the original poster says the track was not there!

John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 20:29:21 »

I think he meant that he had switched to the wrong line. I don't think it had vapourised.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 20:35:42 »

I think he meant that he had switched to the wrong line. I don't think it had vapourised.

probably a cracked rail then
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 20:43:36 »

It's possible that whilst it was TC(resolve) failure, TC failure can be because of a broken Rail.
[/quote]

Agreed but unless positively identified as such, trains will still be cautioned over the affected section until the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) arrive.  Even then, providing the break meets certain criteria (which the rapid response staff should be trained to identify) trains are allowed to pass over at walking pace.  Obviously if no trained staff are available then everything stops until the P Way can clamp the rail and impose a speed restriction.

shadow

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 21:39:45 »

i doubt they could proceed at caution as the original poster says the track was not there!

*smiles* sorry, bad sense of humour on my part, i did mean that we'd swapped sides on the tracks, not that it had dissapeared.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 13:54:54 »

Track circuits are the way the signalling systems detect trains.A failure = signals don't work. 

They do still work to a certain extent. They fail safe thus turning to show a red aspect.ie if a track failure occurs or say a green light blows a filament the red light comes on. Now I hear you say "what if a red light blows a filament then" Well these have bulbs with three filaments and are checked by the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) department on a regular basis and changed if all three aint working. If a red light does on the rare occasion go completely blank then the preceding signal will also fail safe and go red. If however a driver comes across a signal showing no aspect then the rules says the train should be stopped ASAP if not sooner and the signaller consulted!
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 14:26:01 »

Track circuits are the way the signalling systems detect trains.A failure = signals don't work. 

They do still work to a certain extent. They fail safe thus turning to show a red aspect.ie if a track failure occurs or say a green light blows a filament the red light comes on. Now I hear you say "what if a red light blows a filament then" Well these have bulbs with three filaments and are checked by the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) department on a regular basis and changed if all three aint working. If a red light does on the rare occasion go completely blank then the preceding signal will also fail safe and go red. If however a driver comes across a signal showing no aspect then the rules says the train should be stopped ASAP if not sooner and the signaller consulted!
  Roll Eyes

The bulbs used in conventional colour light signals have TWO filaments.  A main filament blowing will automatically cause the auxilliary  filament to light and give an indication back to the relay room/signalbox that there is a problem that needs to be attended to by the technicians. However the trains keep running.  If the second filament subsequently blows then the signal in rear will be held at danger (red) as you correctly state.  Even if the signal was correctly displaying a proceed  aspect and both filaments failed, the signal in rear would revert to red. 

John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 18:53:45 »

Sorry, I didn't mean that the signal itself failed to work. I should have been more accurate and said that the failure of the track circuit caused the signals to default to danger.   
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 20:16:14 »

Sorry, I didn't mean that the signal itself failed to work. I should have been more accurate and said that the failure of the track circuit caused the signals to default to danger.   

The Rulebook is quite clear when a Signal fails to show an aspect it is taken as REDshowing danger.

Say signalandtelgraph am I right in the days of oil lamps and semaphore signals because the flame of the lamp burnt yellow the glass lens was BLUE in the off aspect as Yellow plus Blue makes Green?
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 07:01:50 »

Say signalandtelgraph am I right in the days of oil lamps and semaphore signals because the flame of the lamp burnt yellow the glass lens was BLUE in the off aspect as Yellow plus Blue makes Green?.   

Looks more blue than green when you see it in daylight so your theory may be true. 

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:17:59 »

Thanks Mr (or Miss) S & T.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: