Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:31:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[87] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[31] access for all at Devon stations report
[19] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[16] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Truronian Bus Company To Be Sold To FirstGroup  (Read 14193 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:27:03 »

Truronian has around 70 vehicles, comprising 50 buses and 20 coaches. In addition to its bus routes, the company runs a number of high profile services, such as the Eden Project park and ride scheme (links below.)
http://thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144125&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232510&home=yes&more_nodeId1=232470&contentPK=19867902

http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=19872612&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

The firm launched the first BendiBuses in the region. It also undertakes National Express operations and offers executive coach hire as well as UK (United Kingdom) and European coach holidays.

Truronian's turnover has grown from around ^200,000 in 1987 to ^8million, and in the last three years the firm has invested more than ^3.5 million in new vehicles.

The company's offices and main depot and workshop are in Truro and it also has an operating base in Helston.

The transaction is subject to clearance from the Office of Fair Trading and completion of the due diligence process, after which the acquisition can take place.

Quote from Truronian :

"Since launching Truronian Ltd in 1987 we have worked immensely hard to build a company that our passengers can respect and trust,"

"The opportunity to be part of the UK's largest surface transport company is definitely good news all round."

Quote from First :

"This is a hugely exciting time for both First and Truronian and I see this acquisition as a good and natural fit for both businesses.

"Not only is this great news for the local economy but Truronian customers will soon have the UK's largest transport company alongside them on their every journey."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:32:33 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 23:51:40 »

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) is seeking an early meeting with First over this (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/02/rmt_seeks_early_meeting_with_f.html#more

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:05:19 »

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
GRRR!
Truronian are an amazing independent company and they are cheaper than First.
First now operate all the bus services around here and they will just cut any ones I can use.
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:05:24 »

Grin

So I take it then that you are broadly speaking against the proposal, qprrule?  Cheesy

Incidentally, thanks very much for your useful input to the "Local journeys: Plymouth - Penzance" section, which can now be seen here.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1740.0

If anyone else has anything to offer which could usefully update some of the information held, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:11:17 by Phil » Logged
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 14:09:23 »

This is appalling disastrous news. Truronian have been a shining light in local public transport together with Western Greyhound. They took many services over from First and made them reliable and cheaper - Roseland and St.Mawes for example.

First Group are scruffy and expensive. Last summer I witnessed four people buying tickets on a No 1 bus for the short trip from Porthcurno to Sennen. The First driver said 'it would be cheaper to get a taxi'!! They did and it was, say no more. The connections between First buses and trains at Penzance for example is appalling, I don't think they know each other exists.

First have wrecked our wonderful HSTs (High Speed Train) internally and cannot run a reliable timetabled service even though the routes they serve are pretty basic compared with our previous choices. They obviously do not want to run the old Wessex area local trains as many previous entries on this site have already shown.

There will be no public transport competition in most of Cornwall if this is allowed to happen. I can see more branch line services becoming buses at this rate. They already run an express bus X18 from Penzance to Truro paralleling the main line.

I really did not want to hear this news.
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 20:38:54 »

Grin

So I take it then that you are broadly speaking against the proposal, qprrule?  Cheesy
Yes.

I didn't think First would be able to do this. Truronian always take pride in being a locally run independent bus operator and they are much cheaper.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 22:04:13 »

This is appalling disastrous news. Truronian have been a shining light in local public transport together with Western Greyhound. They took many services over from First and made them reliable and cheaper - Roseland and St.Mawes for example.

First Group are scruffy and expensive. Last summer I witnessed four people buying tickets on a No 1 bus for the short trip from Porthcurno to Sennen. The First driver said 'it would be cheaper to get a taxi'!! They did and it was, say no more. The connections between First buses and trains at Penzance for example is appalling, I don't think they know each other exists.

First have wrecked our wonderful HSTs (High Speed Train) internally and cannot run a reliable timetabled service even though the routes they serve are pretty basic compared with our previous choices. They obviously do not want to run the old Wessex area local trains as many previous entries on this site have already shown.

There will be no public transport competition in most of Cornwall if this is allowed to happen. I can see more branch line services becoming buses at this rate. They already run an express bus X18 from Penzance to Truro paralleling the main line.

I really did not want to hear this news.
First busses are pretty dire, but if First were trying to do away with the railway by running the X18 (which still takes much longer than the train!!) then surely the bus would be cheaper?? And to be honest, when was the last time you saw a cancelled train in Cornwall? OK the 0705 was canned on one occassion last week but most Cornish services have actually improved since FGW (First Great Western) took over - Falmouth is always a 2 car, Wessex ALWAYS reduced it to a single car IN THE SUMMER MONTHS which is the busiest time, the Newquay used to be a single 153 ALL YEAR, it's now a 150 all year, Looe used to be a 153 even in the summer, under FGW it's a 150 in the summer, and then theres the good old 0705 Plymouth Penzance which the equivelent service under Wessex was a 2 car 158 which was so overcrowded every day that in excess of 50 people per day were left behind at St Austell, if you remember back it was on the news all the time, well that train is now an 8 coach HST! No their not perfect but the improvements never seem to be talked about! As for the busses though, if First Cornwall are anything to go by then Truronian will go down the pan!!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 22:22:20 »

I didn't think First would be able to do this. Truronian always take pride in being a locally run independent bus operator and they are much cheaper.

But if I understand it correctly the owners are getting to the point (age) where they need to decide the future of the business. So... either take an offer (presumably reasonably lucrative) from First Group, or try and find another buyer, or keep the business going. If I were in their position, its difficult to argue against what they've done.   
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:06:05 »

Grin

Yes.

Well when First take over Truronian we can look forward to the late Redruth-Helston bus being axed, the Helston & Eden project "Branchline" busses being retimed to arrive at the Railway station 5 minutes AFTER the train has left and for the busses to leave 5 minutes BEFORE the Train arrives.

Who would agree that the 3 most successful Railway Franchises first time around were Chilten Trains, GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) and Virgin West Coast.

The common thread not one operates busses.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 11:38:20 »

the Helston & Eden project "Branchline" busses being retimed to arrive at the Railway station 5 minutes AFTER the train has left and for the busses to leave 5 minutes BEFORE the Train arrives.

Like it does most of the time now since Truronian made the bus service "clockface", but yet the train service isn't.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 11:39:19 »

As for most successful TOC (Train Operating Company)'s, C2C, Chiltern and South West Trains.
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 16:00:25 »

As for most successful TOC (Train Operating Company)'s, C2C, Chiltern and South West Trains.
Mine would have to be:
Chiltern, South West Trains and Virgin West Coast.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 20:44:35 »

I think C2C are very under estimated, they turned around what was under BR (British Rail(ways)) the "misery line" into what it is now, was the first TOC (Train Operating Company) to have an all new train fleet and are about the most punctual and reliable London suburban TOC.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 20:45:48 »

Not to mention their 357 fleet is the top performing newest generation AC OHLE EMU (Electric Multiple Unit). Reliability will drop when they get some 321s though!  Wink Grin
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 20:48:10 »

Not to mention their 357 fleet is the top performing newest generation AC OHLE EMU (Electric Multiple Unit). Reliability will drop when they get some 321s though!  Wink Grin
321's are THE most reliable OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") EMU's in the UK (United Kingdom) I was led to believe? or are they the most reliable ex BR (British Rail(ways)) units?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: