Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:25:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Weekend First New Prices  (Read 21545 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 17:20:09 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have now started providing a customer host and trolley service on weekends with the same range of complimentaries usually found on weekdays making the new Weekend First prices slightly more palatable.
That commenced several weeks/month-and-a-bit ago?
I took advantage of the upgrade with my wife and daughter on the 1900 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) a couple of Saturdays ago, but saw neither hide nor hair of such a service - but that may have been down to the large number of pax returning from the rugby at Twickenham who had congregated in the buffet area rendering access nigh on impossible.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 18:08:09 »

Not sure of the times at weekends, but I've personal experience of a Saturday mid-morning and a Sunday around 1630, both with full trolley several weeks ago
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 20:08:30 »

That commenced several weeks/month-and-a-bit ago?
Yup, that's when it started on services I was travelling on. Alas not enough for me to continue traveling in first come the new year, can't justify £20 each way for an hour and half's journey. I do feel the zones are a little lop sided. How can Paddington to Penzance be £25 and Paddington to Bath be £20?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 20:23:28 »

Personally i think weekend first should be for season ticket holders only now that first class capacity has been reduced quite significantly... i have had several incidents where as a first class ticket holder i have been unable to get a seat... on one occasion i boarded mid route found first was full... i sat in standard and then witnessed people who boarded at origin being charged up... i don't think this is fair
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 20:46:59 »

Personally i think weekend first should be for season ticket holders only now that first class capacity has been reduced quite significantly... i have had several incidents where as a first class ticket holder i have been unable to get a seat... on one occasion i boarded mid route found first was full... i sat in standard and then witnessed people who boarded at origin being charged up... i don't think this is fair

Hang on Season ticket holder who normally pay relative low fares to us ordinary peak hour travellers to get a further perk!  My company (through the anytime tickets I need to buy for work) already subsidise season ticket holders why should they be the only ones to have this advantage.  Outraged of Swindon.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 20:52:46 »

Fare point well made .
John R

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 23:03:11 »

Hang on. If someone holds a first class season ticket, surely it isn't a perk that they get a seat in first class  at weekends?   Though I disagree that weekend first should be limited to those with season tickets, of either class. That would limit the market for weekend first upgrades somewhat.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 08:12:01 »

Think that was the idea, such that anyone with a st class ticket can always get a 1st class seat
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 08:18:45 »

Weekend First on long distance routes (Devon/Cornwall) should be scrapped or severely restricted and made reservation only - there's been numerous times when I've been returning from Devon on a Sunday when First class ticket holders have been unable to find a seat due to people who have bought weekend first supplements at earlier stations on the journey - on Penzance/Plymouth - Paddington services 1st class is often full before Exeter.

The capacity simply isn't there to sustain it - and this won't get any better with the new trains.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 09:01:48 »

The capacity simply isn't there to sustain it - and this won't get any better with the new trains.
Exactly, which is why I find it crazy to be charging £25 from Plymouth/Penzance and £20 from Bath/Westbury to London.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 10:21:29 »

According to a TM(resolve) I encountered yesterday, if you have split Standard Class tickets your WF upgrade must also be split.

That would have cost me £35 each way (if TM on return believed the same) on a trip from Weston-super-Mare to Paddington, split at Bristol TM and Didcot.

When I asked if he minded whether I checked to see if individually excessing each Off Peak Day Return to the cheapest available 1st Class Return would be cheaper than paying £70, or if I just upgraded WSM-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for £15, and moved in and out if the cheap seats for BRI-DID, the TM decided to issue the £20 WSM-PAD WF upgrade.

No problems on the return. TM upgraded through journey.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 10:43:20 »

According to a TM(resolve) I encountered yesterday, if you have split Standard Class tickets your WF upgrade must also be split.

From the GWR (Great Western Railway) web site:

And even if you need to change to another GWR train as part of your trip, you’ll pay one fare for the whole journey.

The price of your upgrade depends on the number of zones you travel through:

£7.50 for 1 zone
£15 for 2 zones
£20 for 3 zones
£25 for 4 or 5 zones

It talks about for your JOURNEY and how many zones you TRAVEL through, not your ticket, so doesn't depend on any splits you have - it's a journey upgrade.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 10:59:00 »

Weekend First has become a very messy and confusing web of differing arrangements across various operators - some allow pre-booking, some don't allow people with standard advances, some charge a flat fee, others a tiered charge. This is without staff inventing their own rules.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 16:34:41 »

Weekend First has become a very messy and confusing web of differing arrangements across various operators - some allow pre-booking, some don't allow people with standard advances, some charge a flat fee, others a tiered charge. This is without staff inventing their own rules.

As far as long distance trips go on Sundays - particularly Penzance/Plymouth to London, Weekend First should be stopped as there are not enough seats for those with regular First class tickets, I've seen it happen on a number of occasions when 1st Class is full by Exeter, largely by those who have bought supplements, and 1st class ticket holders can't get a seat.

I always thought Weekend 1st was designed to utilise 1st class when it wasn't busy but now that there are only 1.5 carriages that is rarely if ever the case on those services.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 16:44:10 by TaplowGreen » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 17:49:24 »

As far as long distance trips go on Sundays - particularly Penzance/Plymouth to London, Weekend First should be stopped as there are not enough seats for those with regular First class tickets, I've seen it happen on a number of occasions when 1st Class is full by Exeter, largely by those who have bought supplements, and 1st class ticket holders can't get a seat.

I always thought Weekend 1st was designed to utilise 1st class when it wasn't busy but now that there are only 1.5 carriages that is rarely if ever the case on those services.

Well, 1A92 16:56 Plymouth-Paddington was announced at Reading yesterday (Saturday) as "Formed of 9 carriages". Do you think that would help?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: