15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 09:21:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[88] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[54] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[27] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Train Operating Companies v Trade Unions dispute - ongoing discussion  (Read 81535 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2017, 20:09:37 »

Its when they (Unions) believe, rightly or wrongly, they are not being listened to it ends in the current situation.

Its when ordinary working people believe, rightly or wrongly, they are not being listened to.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2017, 20:37:57 »

Southern do publish (or did) timerables for these days
John R

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2017, 20:46:47 »

Given that Southern are now recruiting drivers, might one consequence of the dispute be that Southern drivers in particular, but maybe those of other TOC (Train Operating Company)'s too will find that in a year or two time their overall earnings are reduced by a lack of overtime?  And what about those TOC's that rely on rest day working for Sunday?  That has to be even more of an anachronism in this day and age.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2017, 14:08:37 »

Just thought I had better add this link about a passenger being dragged with their hand caught in DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/driver-accused-of-dragging-train-passenger-along-platform-with-hand-stuck-in-door/ar-BBy6lTk?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout

No second person on platform either guard or platform staff

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2017, 14:12:23 »

I assume prosecutors believe there was intent on the driver's part here, or at least ignoring the rule book. Not much either could do if this is proven.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2017, 23:43:35 »

http://trib.al/a9V5zb4

.......could prove costly.....
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:33 »

I can fully understand why someone would want to do this, but would Southern be able to refuse travel/decline this gents card in future (for any reason)?

My line of thought are customers who have reclaimed PPI/packaged bank account fees find their accounts can get closed with 30 days' notice. The bank cites a breakdown in their relationship.

Edit: the link describes a Southern commuter "Sean" who reclaimed 50% off his annual season ticket from American Express under a section 75 claim due to the bad service provided by Southern.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2017, 10:53:19 »

I wonder if that fact the Amex UK (United Kingdom) is based in Brighton (and therefore staffed by people likely to be victims of Southern) is of any relevance.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2017, 13:43:57 »

This could be huge, I foresee many more claims of a similar nature.
I suspect that TOCs (Train Operating Company) may stop taking credit cards to avoid such refunds in future. Meanwhile if anyone is about to buy a season ticket it would seem sensible to use a credit card.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2017, 14:14:19 »

I can fully understand why someone would want to do this, but would Southern be able to refuse travel/decline this gents card in future (for any reason)?

My line of thought are customers who have reclaimed PPI/packaged bank account fees find their accounts can get closed with 30 days' notice. The bank cites a breakdown in their relationship.

More broadly, does a ToC have to sell a ticket or carry a passenger?  I would have thought that so long as they were not discriminating on the basis of a protected characteristic (ie refusing to provide the service because customer is female, gay, black, muslim etc) they can refuse.  Or does the franchise agreement require them to take all comers? 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2017, 16:33:03 »

I suspect that TOCs (Train Operating Company) may stop taking credit cards to avoid such refunds in future. Meanwhile if anyone is about to buy a season ticket it would seem sensible to use a credit card.

That would be a typical response from a TOC - play the man, not the ball.

They may be better off challenging the legality of the strike, and if successful hit the Union with a bill for every penny incurred.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2017, 17:29:18 »

That would be a typical response from a TOC - play the man, not the ball.

They may be better off challenging the legality of the strike, and if successful hit the Union with a bill for every penny incurred.

But the strike doesn't appear to be illegal.  I expect Southern has looked very hard at the process of the ballot etc and concluded that too.  If the strike is legal the Union isn't liable for any losses.

The only solution is a negotiated settlement (which would require compromise which Southern might be willing to make but which the neither the Government nor the unions seem able to do at the moment) or an imposed settlement (with new staff if required).

Part of me thinks they (or rather the Government who are pulling the strings) need to make up their mind and either back down on DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) in the interests of getting the trains running again, or else decide that they are going to take the pain and force through a PATCO/Reagan-style resolution.  Problem is the first option whilst probably acceptable to Southern is not to the Government who clearly want DOO on Southern not for its own sake but so that they can impose it elsewhere.  The second option would probably bankrupt Southern.  But the current strikes are not achieving anything except misery.

I am uncomfortable with the Government's role in this.  Southern is a private company.   
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2017, 20:41:59 »

I assume prosecutors believe there was intent on the driver's part here, or at least ignoring the rule book. Not much either could do if this is proven.

There is an RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report on this incident. https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/passenger-accident-at-hayes-harlington-station One of the learning points is

The second concerns the potential for drivers to be distracted by the use of mobile communication devices while driving.

This might well be the reason for the prosecution
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2017, 21:21:17 »

As I stated upthread.

ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) has suspended their strikes with ACAS-hosted talks tomorrow with a senior HR (Human Resources) outsider along with an Abellio(?) Director involved
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2017, 21:40:25 »

Are the new talks at ACAS?  All the reports I have seen suggest they are being staged by the TUC.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: