Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 18:56:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Closure Proposal / Consultation - Norton Bridge  (Read 10260 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:36:56 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/560685/norton-bridge-closure-proposal.pdf

The station at Norton Bridge was taken out of use for train services in May 2004 to allow for the rebuilding of the railway as part of the West Coast Route Modernisation project, and since then services have been provided by rail replacement bus services. Prior to this date the station was served by a local train service between Stafford and Stoke-on-Trent.

The Department for Transport has carried out an assessment in accordance with the Railway Closures Guidance on whether to reinstate train services at the station, or to close it as part of the national rail network. The assessment showed that bringing the station back into use for train services is neither an appropriate nor responsible use of resources and we are therefore proposing to proceed with the closure of the station.

Under section 30(3)(b) of the Railways Act 2005 the Secretary of State, as the relevant national authority, is required to carry out a consultation concerning a proposal to discontinue use of a particular station if, having received or carried out the assessment, he has formed the opinion that the closure should be carried out.

A copy of the Railways Closures Guidance may be found at:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/266296/railwaysclosuresguidance.pdf

Interested parties are therefore invited to comment on this proposal.
The consultation period will run from 19 October 2016 to 3 February 2017.

Following the consultation period the Department will review its proposal based on comments received from interested parties and, if it decides that the closure should be carried out, seek ratification of the closure from the Office of Rail and Road.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:58:05 »

Under the circumstances, it seems reasonable in my view to close the station.
The report points out the very considerable costs of re-opening and also the small local population, meaning that very few passengers may be expected.
The approx. £20 million cost could no doubt be spent elsewhere on the rail network to greater benefit.

My only misgiving is that the closure was surely said to be "temporary" but is now likely to become permanent. This IMHO (in my humble opinion) is setting a very dangerous precedent. I perceive a risk of other low use stations being closed "temporarily" to facilitate upgrade works, and then 10 years or more of delay, after which it is found that re-opening is uneconomic.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:04:19 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) the poor precedent set in this example is that these decision making processes are allowed to drag on for so long.  This consultation should have taken place 10 tears ago, when I bet fairly detailed operational plans would have already been showing that there was no possibility of station calls ever being reinstated...

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:05:22 »

Agree completely with both of you.  Bet at least one person sees fit to protest vehemently though...  Roll Eyes

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 13:04:54 »

I'm not entirely convinced that it only serves 600 people, as the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) report claims. The town of Eccleshall, population just under 5000, is three miles away - easy cycling distance. But given the current cost structure of the railway industry I'd reluctantly agree that keeping it open doesn't make much sense.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 14:35:43 »

I'd much prefer a smaller amount of money being spent re-installing the footbridge at Polesworth.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 14:47:08 »

how much money has been spent on running a replacement bus service?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 14:52:30 »

My only misgiving is that the closure was surely said to be "temporary" but is now likely to become permanent. This IMHO (in my humble opinion) is setting a very dangerous precedent. I perceive a risk of other low use stations being closed "temporarily" to facilitate upgrade works, and then 10 years or more of delay, after which it is found that re-opening is uneconomic.

IMHO the poor precedent set in this example is that these decision making processes are allowed to drag on for so long.  This consultation should have taken place 10 tears ago, when I bet fairly detailed operational plans would have already been showing that there was no possibility of station calls ever being reinstated...

Paul

Agree completely with both of you.  Bet at least one person sees fit to protest vehemently though...  Roll Eyes

I'm not entirely convinced that it only serves 600 people, as the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) report claims. The town of Eccleshall, population just under 5000, is three miles away - easy cycling distance. But given the current cost structure of the railway industry I'd reluctantly agree that keeping it open doesn't make much sense.

I too am significantly trouble by this being "unfinished business" from ten years ago - how was it intended in those days to continue to provided the statutory permanent train service at a realistic two way station on the completion of the West Coast works?   Or if there was no such intent, would it not have been correct to deal with it at that time?   

I read stories from the 1960s of lines, services and stations being "softened up" with inappropriate services ... to be followed by selective surveys of the remaining passengers "look - no school traffic" in Easter week, for example, leading to closure procedures which seemed based on deliberately lowered data.

I don't know the area around Norton Bridge - but I do have 20 years of station usage stats.  In 2000/01, there were 5,155 entrances and exits; please excuse me comparing to Melksham, which had 3,266 that year ... and by last year than had risen to 58,000 plus - even though we had been through dark times equated to the 1960 'tricks', with a service gap from 06:38 to 19:20 and buses for weeks on end.   Where would Norton Bridge be in 2015/16 with a half decent service over the years.

A DfT consultation, judged by a minister at the DfT and signed off by a body sponsored by the DfT, looking at a temporary situation which has been allowed to become permanent as potential traffic goes away, local development takes place that takes trains further from the platforms, and the platforms decay does not strike me as being open and transparent. Thus misgivings. And further misgivings about five other stations where there may be some similarities.

But having said all that - it might actually be the right decision even if reach in incredibly the wrong way.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 15:39:34 »

The way it has been done is somewhat underhand, but as the station is, as the crow flies, just 3 miles from Stone and 5.5 miles from Stafford, one can see why 'they' were keen to remove Norton Bridge from operations in order to smooth things out on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) - it is of course at the convergence of the lines from Crewe & Stoke-on-Trent, so I would imagine having trains stopping at Norton Bridge would throw up some operational difficulties compared to having everything running clear through from Crewe/Stoke to Stafford.

Interestingly, Google maps lists the station as 'permanently closed' already...!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 15:42:22 »

might not be practical to reopen it now, but post-HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) when intercity trains are off that bit of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and stopping services less likely to be in the way, is Norton Bridge the kind of place that could benefit from a better service?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 16:23:12 »

The way it has been done is somewhat underhand, but as the station is, as the crow flies, just 3 miles from Stone and 5.5 miles from Stafford, one can see why 'they' were keen to remove Norton Bridge from operations in order to smooth things out on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) - it is of course at the convergence of the lines from Crewe & Stoke-on-Trent, so I would imagine having trains stopping at Norton Bridge would throw up some operational difficulties compared to having everything running clear through from Crewe/Stoke to Stafford.

The new alignment - only a very distant pipe dream ten years ago - makes it even more cumbersome to stop trains, especially northbound where they would have to run on the down fast from Stafford, cross over the Up Fast line, before running on the Norton Bridge East Chord in the wrong direction, finally crossing over the Up Norton Bridge line to head towards Stoke.  Removing such moves were the whole point of the new grade separated junction.

Up trains are less of a problem, but would still have to then run on the Up Fast as far as Stafford.

If a station is to be open there, then it really should be rebuilt in a different location, and there's nowhere near the potential traffic to justify that.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 19:52:28 »

If a station is to be open there, then it really should be rebuilt in a different location, and there's nowhere near the potential traffic to justify that.

If you live somewhere in the North West or Wales ... miles from any railway station in pretty villages such as Gastang or Skelmersdale, Denbigh, Audlem, Market Drayton or Keswick, what better way to visit London or Birmingham that by driving down the M6 to junction 14A for the B5026 and parking up at Eccleshall Parkway.   Served by a half hourly service from Stoke-on-Trent (alternate trains from Crewe and Manchester) to Stafford (alternate trains on to Birmingham and to London).

Not my neck of the woods - is there a Tiverton or Bristol Parkway equivalent in those parts already?

Ecceshall Parkway wouldn't be on the west coast main line, but I suspect it would be very acceptable as a replacement for Norton Bridge in addition to the new traffic generated!

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 20:42:48 »

grahame,

I'm a Lancashire lad. Notwithstanding their love of home, but what part of the word 'pretty' are you applying to the domestic settlements of Skelmesdale and Garstang?  Grin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 20:49:51 by Oxonhutch » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 21:01:06 »

grahame,

I'm a Lancashire lad. Notwithstanding their love of home, but what part of the word 'pretty' are you applying to the domestic settlements of Skelmesdale and Garstang?  Grin

I'm a Lancashire lad too and have fond memories of staying with relatives near Garstang.  Skelmersdale is pretty much one of the largest towns without a station.

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 21:26:39 »

With Skem I guess it's either Rainhill Junction (BNM question?) or Ormskirk for connections. However, with Garstang, it's always down to the Wyre!  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: