26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 22:04:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 October 2016 - 19:03 Paddington to Penzance terminated at Reading  (Read 67694 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2016, 11:14:41 »

Hooray. I've had a "we're sorry for the delay" letter from GWR (Great Western Railway), which includes

To help put things right a cheque for £60.00 will be sent to you, to cover the cost of your journey. This will be with you soon.

This relates to a journey that I made on August 15, when a bridge bash meant that the 17:22 Paddington - Hereford was cancelled beyond Moreton-in-Marsh and we ended up with road transport.

Four months...

I'll report back when the cheque arrives.
Cheque arrived yesterday (December 22).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2016, 18:41:34 »

The 17:06 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Westbury became a Turbo and only ran as far a Newbury tonight in a planned move presumably brought about by the HST (High Speed Train) set being used on one of the three West Country additions.  Haven't spotted any other alterations.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2016, 22:57:17 »

The 17:06 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Westbury became a Turbo and only ran as far a Newbury tonight in a planned move presumably brought about by the HST (High Speed Train) set being used on one of the three West Country additions.  Haven't spotted any other alterations.

There was an interesting comment / feedback when that happened on "Meet the Manager" evening.    The 17:06 is a train I knew quite well ... rammed to Twyford, busy into the east of the Kennet Valley but frankly pretty thin as it gets further west.    As an HST making numerous calls, its station dwell times mean that there's another train only 10 minutes behind it by the time it reaches Westbury, so the thin loadings aren't lack of demand but rather the provision of something 20 minutes faster just behind. My Advent Quiz question on 18th December was taken from the 17:06 in the days that it didn't call at Westbury, but served Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon instead.

I suspect it was a good call to use a turbo for this service tonight in anticipation of different flows in the lead up to  Christmas.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2016, 00:06:12 »

I didn't see or hear of any major problems today/tonight, busy trains and the odd hiccup but nothing too bad.  TG's favourite 19:03 ran on time until picking up a 15 minute delay near Castle Cary following a track circuit failure.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2016, 01:36:21 »

Typically, the management were out today to see what all the fuss was about.  As the 19.03 and various other trains were lightly loaded, the conclusion is there's no problem.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2016, 06:17:52 »

Typically, the management were out today to see what all the fuss was about.  As the 19.03 and various other trains were lightly loaded, the conclusion is there's no problem.

I didn't see or hear of any major problems today/tonight, busy trains and the odd hiccup but nothing too bad.  TG's favourite 19:03 ran on time until picking up a 15 minute delay near Castle Cary following a track circuit failure.

Good to hear it went well and everyone got away safely (at least no-one was held up more than a few minutes by GWR (Great Western Railway) rail problems).    I wouldn't like to "second guess" where loading falls on the lead up days to Christmas, especially as it probably varies each year depending when in the week Christmas falls - and it's good and right that it be monitored as a learning experience. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2016, 07:09:02 »

Good news that the 3 extra services took some of the pressure off the 1903 and others which are normally so ridiculously overcrowded - let's hope that GWR (Great Western Railway) learn the lesson and we see similar strengthening on other known dates such as Maundy Thursday etc.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2016, 10:04:54 »

Christmas is always a difficult one to predict.  In essence you need seven different strategies as depending on what days of the week Christmas Eve and the 27th fall on radically alters the travel patterns of those who are spending Christmas away.  Some years it is spread nicely and others it is concentrated on a particular day, or part of a day.

Maundy Thursday is much harder to deal with, as although it's the same every year, it's the perfect storm of most people wanting to go away after work on the Thursday, yet there still being a very large contingent of commuters wanting to go home at the same time.  In other words I don't think the three extra trains during the day would have had so much benefit on a typical Maundy Thursday, but let's hope more effort is made to run at least one or two additionals during the day and perhaps extend the 19:45 to PNZ as has been suggested.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2017, 16:44:58 »

.........almost 7 weeks in we have some progress (well, sort of) - after being told it was likely to take another 3 weeks to get a reply, I emailed Hopwood directly and have just received this.........

Dear Neil
I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your email to our Managing Director, Mark Hopwood.

Thank you for writing and we will respond to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards
Kellyann Steer| MD Correspondence |Great Western Railway  

"MD Correspondence" is certainly a grand title, let's see if it carries any influence!!!  Smiley

..............odds on a reply this side of 2017 anyone?

Still no reply................and I had an awful nightmare last night, I dreamed I was going to catch the 1903 to Plymouth tonight............can you imagine what it's going to be like???

I assume it's pretty futile to ask if any extra services to the Westcountry are being laid on tonight?

..............well, after almost 3 months, here it is folks!!!

Ref: GWRR161025BQJB

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email of 25 October 2016. I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We recently migrated our call centre from one location to another and its created a bit of a backlog for us whilst the new work flows and processes settle down. We are all working really hard to get up to date. I also understand that you have written to our Managing Director about this matter.
I appreciate your frustration caused by regular crowding on our 1903 London Paddington to Penzance service on Fridays and I sincerely apologise for the discomfort you have experienced. I have contacted managers from the relevant departments to pass on your concerns and also asked that they answer your seven specific questions. Please find their responses below.

1.     The service is supposed to be pick up only at Reading on Fridays. Why is this not enforced and why are Reading customers allowed to alight? What is being done to address this, in terms of programming the gateline and or instructing staff accordingly?

The service is booked to pick up only at Reading in order to try to reduce the number of people on board leaving Paddington. It is though, unfortunately the case that some customers will be aware that it stops at Reading and may catch it anyway. We do try to enforce this but there are only very limited actions we can take to do this. We do instruct gateline colleagues to advise customers not to board and our train managers are also advised to do the same.  In practise we know that by not advertising Reading as a stop this reduces the number of Reading bound customers on board by more than 90% so it is very successful.

2.     Why do you not use boarding management to ensure the safety and wellbeing of customers on such a service which is well known to be hideously overcrowded? (please do not cite regulations stating that there is no limit to the number of people who can be safely carried).

The application of full boarding controls would likely cause significant delays given the turn around times of trains at Paddington. Whilst trains on Friday evenings are busy we have amended the timetable in recent years to add additional capacity and changes to our rolling stick in the coming year will help this further. 

3.     Why not make this service reservation only, with perhaps a small number of additional people being allowed to board?

There is not a straight forward answer to this point. Making this service ‘reservable only’ presents a number of logistical challenges for operational colleagues to manage, this could lead to further disruption for customers trying to board and colleagues identifying who can/cannot travel.  We do not place restrictions on overbooking, so in theory customers can still walk up and purchase a ticket on the day irrespective of the amount of advanced purchase tickets bought – this is linked to your fourth question.  

4.     Do you restrict the number of "cheap" Advance purchase tickets on this service? If not, why not?

Yes - Cheaper AP fares are restricted on this service Monday to Friday. Availability of advanced tickets is linked to customer demand, so on services such as this the more expensive fares are only available.

5.     What consideration has/is being given to removing stops at Reading and Newbury on this service on Fridays? (Bearing in mind that there are numerous alternatives).

The Reading stop is required as per our “Service level Commitment”.  The Reading stop has been made pick up only. The Newbury stop is used by customers who travel each day and a direct alternative would need to be provided.
6.     Can the 1945 and/or 2035 services to Plymouth be extended to Penzance on Friday to relieve pressure on the 1903? If not, why not?

The line is closed after the passage of the last train in Cornwall.  That having said, a service which would arrive at stations in Cornwall in the early hours of the morning is not likely to be attractive.  

7.     Where the last service of the day to Cornwall is cancelled as it was (at Reading) on the 21st October, what is your contingency plan for getting people home "Long distance"?

If the 19.03 is cancelled we will take people to Plymouth on the next available train and provide onward road transport from there.

Once again, I’m sorry for the problems you have experienced recently and thank you for contacting GWR (Great Western Railway).
Yours sincerely
John R

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2017, 18:29:02 »

I think that's a reasonably comprehensive answer. And maybe that explains why it has taken so long to arrive (but that is no excuse).
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2017, 19:01:05 »

My elderly parents are booked onto the 1903 tomorrow, with heavy suitcases, and New Zealand induced jetlag.  In the collective experience of this forum, are there any tips for helping them 'beat the scrum'.  They will be coming in from Heathrow on the HEX.

Many thanks one and all.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2017, 19:10:07 »

If they are in any way infirm, then they could ask for help in boarding, maybe, particularly given the amount of luggage they have.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2017, 19:11:35 »

My elderly parents are booked onto the 1903 tomorrow, with heavy suitcases, and New Zealand induced jetlag.  In the collective experience of this forum, are there any tips for helping them 'beat the scrum'.  They will be coming in from Heathrow on the HEX.

Many thanks one and all.

Worth booking some assistance at Paddington perhaps, assuming you have sufficient time at this stage?

Real time trains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced tends to have the planned departure platform and is worth keeping an eye on, but bear in mind it can be completely wrong if it all goes belly up
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2017, 09:28:28 »

Many thanks one and all.

I hope everything worked out OK for your parents - I guess it was likely to be pretty much the "quietest" Friday evening of the year taking into account the time of year so hopefully the experience wasn't too bad.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2017, 14:06:57 »

Many thanks one and all.

Worth booking some assistance at Paddington perhaps, assuming you have sufficient time at this stage?

Real time trains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced tends to have the planned departure platform and is worth keeping an eye on, but bear in mind it can be completely wrong if it all goes belly up

They were exhausted by Par so only had a chance to chat this morning.  Assisted travel idea worked a treat, and they were comfortably seated with suitcases stowed before the platform was announced so spot on.  Many thanks for the idea, and to the staff involved at GWR (Great Western Railway).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: