22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 12:34:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 October 2016 - 19:03 Paddington to Penzance terminated at Reading  (Read 67684 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 21:00:43 »

Could you change the rules to void any booked seats not claimed 5 minutes before leaving? Then you could release these seats?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 00:02:54 »

Train Manager assaulted at Reading apparently.

Alleged rather than apparent.

Rail staff sources on other forums allege no assault occurred.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 00:14:48 »

I was just quoting from official industry information feeds, so know nothing more than that.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 05:24:17 »

Could you change the rules to void any booked seats not claimed 5 minutes before leaving? Then you could release these seats?

Not certain how this would help. It seems beyond reasonable doubt that every seat was taken on the train in question, reserved or not.
Under conditions such as these, reservations are of limited use as many simply ignore them. I recall a journey made on Maundy Thursday some years ago, I had booked a seat but found it occupied by someone else who simply refused to move. The staff felt unable to intervene, so being reluctant to give the usurper a good thump, I had to stand to Taunton. Excellent value for £150 ! Never again ! That was some years ago, but reports suggest that it has got worse not better since then.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:04 »

Not certain how this would help. It seems beyond reasonable doubt that every seat was taken on the train in question, reserved or not.
Under conditions such as these, reservations are of limited use as many simply ignore them. I recall a journey made on Maundy Thursday some years ago, I had booked a seat but found it occupied by someone else who simply refused to move. The staff felt unable to intervene, so being reluctant to give the usurper a good thump, I had to stand to Taunton. Excellent value for £150 ! Never again ! That was some years ago, but reports suggest that it has got worse not better since then.

As previously stated by myself and others - restrict ticket sales, compulsory reservations and managed boarding.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 09:47:46 »

Yes, there should certainly be no cheap advances available.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:16 »

What about a 20:03 to Penzance with lots of Advanced and Super Off Peaks?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 10:23:13 »

I am reluctant to back compulsory reservation.  A key advantage of the UK (United Kingdom) railway (over flights and foreign railways for example) is that those with an expensive ticket and who are prepared to stand can get on any train. 

hopefully some stock increases post IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will allow a carrot and stick approach of high fares only on the crowded train and some bargains on alternative trains. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 10:30:05 »

Extend the 1945 or 2035 from Paddington beyond Plymouth to Penzance?
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 10:49:38 »

hopefully some stock increases post IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will allow a carrot and stick approach of high fares only on the crowded train and some bargains on alternative trains.

Demand/yield management pricing as employed by the airlines might help? Base it on no. of seats sold.

Then, if the train is full (ie, all seats sold), you could end up paying a very high price to stand.

I appreciate this doesn't solve the problem of those who have no reservation, and just rock up expecting to get on, but it seems there are no perfect solutions here  Huh

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 11:03:38 »

How busy are the 19:45 and 20:35 departures on these 'holiday' Friday's that cause all the trouble?  If there's spare space on them, that might be a possible solution for selected Friday's only, but you'd have to find crew and you'd be looking at roughly 1:30am and 2:30am arrivals in Penzance.  I would imagine the 19:45 is pretty full already and the 20:35 would simply be too late to be of much attraction to the Cornish travellers (how many are typically aboard when it arrives at Plymouth now?).

There are potential issues with train maintenance and availability.  Both those trains are stabled and maintained for the night at Laira depot in Plymouth, so if they went through to Penzance then you would need to make allowances for what they both do next morning and ensure Long Rock at Penzance has capacity to deal with them, as well as diagramming crew of course.

Perhaps worth a try though on selected dates though, to see what difference it makes.  Or at least trying the simpler and more cost effective option of running a Plymouth to Penzance late evening multiple unit train to connect with one of those two trains from London.

When the new trains arrive, perhaps that will give the flexibility to run later trains down to Penzance with a 10-car splitting at Plymouth?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 14:06:24 »

How busy are the 19:45 and 20:35 departures on these 'holiday' Friday's that cause all the trouble?  If there's spare space on them, that might be a possible solution for selected Friday's only, but you'd have to find crew and you'd be looking at roughly 1:30am and 2:30am arrivals in Penzance.  I would imagine the 19:45 is pretty full already and the 20:35 would simply be too late to be of much attraction to the Cornish travellers (how many are typically aboard when it arrives at Plymouth now?).

There are potential issues with train maintenance and availability.  Both those trains are stabled and maintained for the night at Laira depot in Plymouth, so if they went through to Penzance then you would need to make allowances for what they both do next morning and ensure Long Rock at Penzance has capacity to deal with them, as well as diagramming crew of course.

Perhaps worth a try though on selected dates though, to see what difference it makes.  Or at least trying the simpler and more cost effective option of running a Plymouth to Penzance late evening multiple unit train to connect with one of those two trains from London.

When the new trains arrive, perhaps that will give the flexibility to run later trains down to Penzance with a 10-car splitting at Plymouth?

To clarify it's not just "Holiday" Fridays that cause the trouble - the 1903 is seriously overcrowded every Friday, it's just that around holiday times it gets even more inhuman. The challenges around timings/maintenance you highlight are reasonable however I would say not insurmountable.............in any case it cannot be allowed to continue like this - I wonder how much Friday's escapade cost GWR (Great Western Railway)? Perhaps it is a hit in the pocket which will make the difference and galvanise some action. To be honest, this situation has been going on so long with this service I am amazed that no-one has come up with at least some sort of solution to mitigate it - that does not reflect well on GWR.

What frustrates a lot of people is the perception that GWR are just happily sitting back, pocketing the extra revenue by the currently irresponsible operation of this service and doing nothing about it.

I'd be delighted to be corrected of course, if anyone "on the inside" can advise of GWRs plans to improve the situation specific to this service, that does not involve "manana, manana" because as we all know, the capacity increase provided by the new trains does not go anywhere near addressing the overcrowding if demand continues at its current rate.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 14:36:40 »

Clearly the only decent solution is to run more trains.  Will the spare class 68s and mark IIIs not do the job? 
Surely they would be able to keep time west of Taunton or Exeter and could connect with at the 1945 from Paddington even if pathing issues mean that you wouldn't want to run them into Paddington.  If a charter operator can make a small profit and find the stock for a one off train then surely a TOC (Train Operating Company) could for a regular Friday only service. 

Frankly what is the point of privatisation if the capitalists are not finding a solution to these problems.  A for-profit railway might struggle to justify socially necessary but lightly used services but here we have passengers fighting (perhaps literally on occasion) for seats.  If GWR (Great Western Railway) is not up to solving this then DfT» (Department for Transport - about) should be encouraging an open access operator to meet the demand
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 14:41:39 »

To be honest, this situation has been going on so long with this service I am amazed that no-one has come up with at least some sort of solution to mitigate it - that does not reflect well on GWR (Great Western Railway).

What frustrates a lot of people is the perception that GWR are just happily sitting back, pocketing the extra revenue by the currently irresponsible operation of this service and doing nothing about it.

I'd be delighted to be corrected of course, if anyone "on the inside" can advise of GWRs plans to improve the situation specific to this service, that does not involve "manana, manana" because as we all know, the capacity increase provided by the new trains does not go anywhere near addressing the overcrowding if demand continues at its current rate.

It perhaps highlights the fact that there is no simple way of dealing with it given that pretty much all rolling stock is in use and virtually all of it very busy on other services.  The 19:15 Swansea service has always been terribly full in the last few years and I wonder what impact the 19:12 Bristol service via Parkway has had on that?  You could pinch the HST (High Speed Train) set that works the 17:50 Paddington to Worcester service and run that as a Turbo, but you'd need at least a 5-car to deal with passenger numbers and that results in two short formed suburban services (which are just as full).  Perhaps come next May those units could be released by the extended new electric services?

Having done that though, you need to find a path to run an extra train (hence my suggestion of a 19:12 to Bristol splitting at Reading as it doesn't mean an extra path between Paddington and Reading), or possibly the 19:18 semi-fast to Oxford could be a 10-car IET (Intercity Express Train) from next summer with a portion for Oxford and a B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) portion to Westbury splitting at Reading?  Both options will upset Newbury commuters though as they're slower and later than the 19:03.

The longer term solution will be to try and segregate the commuters from the longer distance travellers but until extra stock comes along I can't see any obvious options other than the few half-solutions that we've talked about, and would in all probability have a limited effect anyway.

Even then, free train paths are very scarce and as time goes on I become more convinced that serious consideration needs to be given to Heathrow Express being stopped in the peak hours (and perhaps all day) as that would be four more main line paths per hour straight into the back pocket now that constraints at Reading have been eased considerably.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 15:43:31 »

The Heathrow Express needs to be Axed.  Overpriced vanity service that it is.  They seem to exist solely to rip foreign visitors off with their monopoly on advertising and selling tickets at Heathrow.  It is a national disgrace. Crossrail and the Piccadilly line more than adequately serve the airport from the East. 

Trouble is that they have a access rights until 2023 so we may need to put up with them until then (although I hope Crossrail competition forces them to throw in the towel or at least sell off some paths before then)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: