16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:53:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] access for all at Devon stations report
[49] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[35] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[6] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[4] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How many passengers claim the compensation they are entitled to?  (Read 10530 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 13:15:18 »

A journalist investigating ...

[name deleted] here from the [media deleted].

I was wondering if you would be able to help. We are running a story tomorrow on rail companies paying out huge sums of money to passengers in compensation for delays. Nationwide, rail firms have coughed up £45 million in the past year. The GWR (Great Western Railway) has handed out a whopping £6 million, the third largest figure in the entire country.

I was wondering if this is something on which [organisation] would like to comment.

I'm noting "whopping £6 million" in his letter and "third largest" hinting that GWR may have very serious issues and a huge financial compensation bill ...

But ...

6 million pounds, over 360 days and 750 passenger carrying vehicles works out at £22.22 per vehicle per day.  For an 8 car HST (High Speed Train), that's refunding one peak return ticket from Chippenham to London for the entire train which doesn't strike me as a massive amount.   And as one of the larger franchises, I would expect the amount paid out to be one of the larger amounts, all other things being equal!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 14:25:05 »

A journalist investigating ...

[name deleted] here from the [media deleted].

I was wondering if you would be able to help. We are running a story tomorrow on rail companies paying out huge sums of money to passengers in compensation for delays. Nationwide, rail firms have coughed up £45 million in the past year. The GWR (Great Western Railway) has handed out a whopping £6 million, the third largest figure in the entire country.

I was wondering if this is something on which [organisation] would like to comment.

I'm noting "whopping £6 million" in his letter and "third largest" hinting that GWR may have very serious issues and a huge financial compensation bill ...

But ...

6 million pounds, over 360 days and 750 passenger carrying vehicles works out at £22.22 per vehicle per day.  For an 8 car HST (High Speed Train), that's refunding one peak return ticket from Chippenham to London for the entire train which doesn't strike me as a massive amount.   And as one of the larger franchises, I would expect the amount paid out to be one of the larger amounts, all other things being equal!

........certainly nothing like as "whopping " as the compensation GWR has received from Network Rail! (aka the taxpayer)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 14:57:18 »

Are  you suggesting that the TOCs (Train Operating Company) are making money out of NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s compensation? I don't think it's very much.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 15:30:08 »

To know whether £6million is 'whopping' you would need to know what % of GWR (Great Western Railway) revenue it is.
The revenue of First Rail (includes GWR and TPE (Trans Pennine Express)) was £1.3bn in 2015 so £6m is probably about 0.6% of GWR revenue (I can't find any figures that show how the revenue should be split between TPE and GWR). So hardly whopping.

First Group Accounts can be found here http://www.firstgroupplc.com/~/media/Files/F/Firstgroup-Plc/indexed-pdfs/2016%20ARA/FirstGroup%20plc%20Annual%20Report%20and%20Accounts%202016.pdf

And does the £6m include the season ticket discounts for delays?

In 14/15 GWR received approx £55m from Network Rail for delays. Data available here http://www.networkrail.co.uk/transparency/datasets/. Incidentally TPE received £5m for the same period. 

Obviously GWR will have costs attributed to disruption: coach hire, staff overtime, etc. But I can't see how they can't be making a profit from this.

The First Rail profit (GWR and TPE) for 2015 was only £72m so it could be that a large percentage of the profit was made from delay payments.
If that is true do GWR have any incentive to work with or put pressure on Network Rail in reducing delays?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 15:40:51 »

Well, the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) have been known to step in & fine/require TOCs (Train Operating Company) to otherwise spend money on improvements if their stats are abysmal....
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 16:18:17 »

Are  you suggesting that the TOCs (Train Operating Company) are making money out of NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s compensation? I don't think it's very much.

Yes - and thanks to ray951 for quantifying it so succinctly.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 16:27:31 »

Why shouldn't a public body in charge of keeping the rails working be compensating the companies using it?

The alternative would be higher costs from NR» (Network Rail - home page) on the taxpayer, so we pay one way or another!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 16:36:40 »

Does the average profit margin of a TOC (Train Operating Company) of around 3% include these rebates from NR» (Network Rail - home page), or are they in addition to?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 16:38:59 »

Will be included.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 16:39:52 »

Why shouldn't a public body in charge of keeping the rails working be compensating the companies using it?

The alternative would be higher costs from NR» (Network Rail - home page) on the taxpayer, so we pay one way or another!

I think it's fair that NR cover the costs incurred by a TOC (Train Operating Company) when a delay is attributed to them..........I think the question is whether the latter should be making millions of £ in additional profit based based on this compensation (paid by NR, aka the taxpayer) as it weakens or removes any motivation for delays to be reduced as Ray alluded to.

...............I wonder if GWR (Great Western Railway) have to fill in a form, send it off and wait 6 weeks for a reply like the rest of us mere mortals? Do they get Network Rail vouchers I wonder???  Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 16:41:52 »

|I bet it takes weeks for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to pay up though!

Second thoughts - I doubt any money changes hands - TOCs (Train Operating Company) are likely to receive a credit against their track usage charges.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 16:43:23 »

The arguments will be fierce and complex, just like they are for delay attribution.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 20:19:09 »

To know whether £6million is 'whopping' you would need to know what % of GWR (Great Western Railway) revenue it is.
The revenue of First Rail (includes GWR and TPE (Trans Pennine Express)) was £1.3bn in 2015 so £6m is probably about 0.6% of GWR revenue (I can't find any figures that show how the revenue should be split between TPE and GWR). So hardly whopping.

<BIG SNIP>!

The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) publishes quite detailed data on the franchised TOCs (Train Operating Company), covering income and the split of costs among various headings.

For 2014-15 GWR's passenger income was £882,425,000 and other income amounted to £74 million. TPE's passenger income was £212,526,000, Government support was £43,906,000 and other income amounted to £13,356,000

The document is called <gb-rail-industry-financial-information-2014-15.xlsx> but I haven't kept a record of the URL where I found it. Try searching the ORR's web site.

There may be later data available but I haven't looked.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 21:21:18 »

So that's £6million in approx (old figure, probably more this year) in £882 million income. That's equivalent to 0.62% of revenue!!! Tiny, rather than small
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 00:16:30 »

The document is called <gb-rail-industry-financial-information-2014-15.xlsx> but I haven't kept a record of the URL where I found it. Try searching the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s web site.

The URL is http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-stats/gb-rail-industry-financial-information/gb-rail-industry-financial-information-2014-15  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: