Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
11:10 Westbury to Frome
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:40 Westbury to Weymouth
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
10:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 10:11:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[60] access for all at Devon stations report
[26] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Cornish delays
[8] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 150s  (Read 8649 times)
r james

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2008, 13:50:40 »

Has anyone got any more info about this 150 movement from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))??  Seems absolutely crazy to me, when ATW need these trains for their newly introduced services. 

Surely ATW would be best to give some 158s up, which is the type of stock FGW (First Great Western) really need, and ATW wont require so much if they get the 180s.

Is the movement to be a permanent one?
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 14:53:02 »

Has anyone got any more info about this 150 movement from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))??  Seems absolutely crazy to me, when ATW need these trains for their newly introduced services. 

Surely ATW would be best to give some 158s up, which is the type of stock FGW (First Great Western) really need, and ATW wont require so much if they get the 180s.

Is the movement to be a permanent one?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), all of the 158's are in traffic on long distance north > south services. (which 150's cant feasbly operate) most of them are being upgraded/refurb'd for the new signals trials on the cambrian line, before that get rolled out across the country.

So i'm farely sure these units arn't going ANYWHERE.

Also, nothings been confirmed by either parties. Until it get signed, sealed and announced. It's still only speculation.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 14:56:19 by Shazz » Logged
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 15:07:33 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, I can^t answer your question directly but I^m sure someone in a better position will be along shortly. In the meantime there are probably a few threads here that may very well answer your question re stock allocation to different TOC (Train Operating Company)^s, have a browse around.

But bear in mind that if the train stops in front of you at the time advertised with the same stock you travelled on yesterday and arrives at the your destination at the advertised time, then in all probability you are not in the FGW (First Great Western) area, and in all likelihood not in the UK (United Kingdom).
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 16:50:16 »

I'd say they are giving us more stock, perhaps as they are spare or otherwise in fairness as ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) probably run far more 4 car trains than FGW (First Great Western) do!
r james

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 17:01:06 »

I'd say they are giving us more stock, perhaps as they are spare or otherwise in fairness as ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) probably run far more 4 car trains than FGW (First Great Western) do!

Even if ATW do operate more stock as 4 car trains, thats hardly their fault that FGW didn't get things sorted first.  I fail to see how its fair that a TOC should pay for a refurb, then lose its stock weeks after. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 17:03:35 »

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) refurb consisted of new seat covers and new marker lights along with a grotty livery.

Anyhow, theres still about 6 ex wessex ones.

I don't think its fair how we should be rammed into a carriage at the expense of Wales who have plenty of stock!
r james

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 17:17:21 »

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) refurb consisted of new seat covers and new marker lights along with a grotty livery.

I don't think its fair how we should be rammed into a carriage at the expense of Wales who have plenty of stock!

I do understand the point you make, but why allow the stock to go to ATW in the first place,for this to happen?? 

I hope ATW keep the 3+2 seating units, as these extra seats will be much required! 
The ex wessex 150s have all received a new livery with ATW as far as I am aware, and have started to receive new seat covers. 
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 17:26:54 »

Yes, but they're trying to run the railway for an entire country on just over the stock FGW (First Great Western) have for a region.

I still don't think it's going to happen. As ATW are about to depoly the stock onto the valleys as iirc that platform lenghtening is now complete so they can do 6 cars instead of 4. (You think you get overcrowding in bristol, go try a peak valley line service...)

Go ask Northern for some stock, i'm sure they have plenty doing nothing out of there 281 Units (yes you read that correctly)

Why should wales suffer for firsts f**k up? It shouldnt. First have more money than they know what to do with, go order some new stock for gods sake!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 17:30:21 by Shazz » Logged
BRADNOCK

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 18:53:34 »

I agree with Shazz And Rjames 87 I use ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) more than FGW (First Great Western) We only have two FGW trains (I live in Kidwelly West Walesa) a one each way weekdays  So I have to use ATW before I can get any were near Cardiff  and its not very often ATW are late  they usually turn  and you can get a seat.  So because I have to go to Weymouth quit a lot its usaly then when the fun starts Cardiff Portsmouth or Parkway Weymouth I hope that ATW hang on to all their  stock if it ain't broken then don't fix it. I  used to like the journey from Southampton to Weymouth then some clown took the 442's  off some improvement.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 19:27:33 »

But if the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) has paid for the lease of the trains, then they not unreasonably expect them to run on ATW services. The problem is the contrast between one quasi government which sees the benefit in railways and sees overcrowding as unacceptable, and another which takes the contrary view.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 20:03:00 »

But if the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) has paid for the lease of the trains, then they not unreasonably expect them to run on ATW services. The problem is the contrast between one quasi government which sees the benefit in railways and sees overcrowding as unacceptable, and another which takes the contrary view.

iirc, the WAG funded these new trains from Midlands
r james

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 20:09:55 »

Exactly, which is why I really dont understand the move!
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 20:14:06 »

But the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly service which goes via Carmarthen, Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, is 90% of the time a 175.  Also the Cardiff to North Wales service, and Manchester to North Wales services are 175's most of the time too.

I hardly ever see ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) running 158's these days - its always 175 or 150's mainly.  The Maesteg to Cheltenham Spa service is about the only service that uses 158's regularly as I think Ebbw Vale and Vale of Glamorgan lines are 150's and most valley lines are either 143 or 150.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 20:51:17 »

The Cambrian Lines are 158s solely (unless this has changed in the last few months!).
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 21:02:53 »

But the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly service which goes via Carmarthen, Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, is 90% of the time a 175.  Also the Cardiff to North Wales service, and Manchester to North Wales services are 175's most of the time too.

Almost all of the trains to Holyhead are 158's and as thats a train every 2 hours, so thats easily eating 50% of the 158's ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: