Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 09:39:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[68] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Cornish delays
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 150s  (Read 8648 times)
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 21:20:16 »

What shazz says is not quite right.

It is correct that 158s are largely the only trains running Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth - they are the ones which are having the radio-controlled signalling shortly.

As for everywhere else, the Valley lines are having (not all finished yet) platform extensions which enable 4 and in some cases 6 car trains to run - all 142/143/150.  If you travel at peak times on those services, full is not the word and train managers (horrible phrase) refuse to allow people to board sometimes.  They are also under instruction not to move down the aisle and attempt to collect fares on board unless they have a clear run to the rearmost carriage door in time for the next station stop.  (Question: why station stop?).

Cardiff Queen Street station, which is the sub-hub for the Valley lines - 5 routes pass through it, gets closed on international days because the platforms won't take the crowds.  Everyone has to queue outside Cardiff Central instead and they only get on the platform when their train's next.

As for fleet issues, ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have 142/143/150/153/158/175.  For a while they used 37s with 4 carriages on the Rhymney Valley line at peak times.  Those got out of stations smartly!

When they took on the franchise, they had a plan to purchase 22 NEW train sets but WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) said no.  Instead, 22 tired old 150 sets were cascaded from First Scotrail.  And they've since been allowed a few more to run the Ebbw Valley line.

In broad terms, WAG have told ATW they have to make the Pacers last until 2018.  By which time the entire population of South Wales will be bobbing up and down rhythmically.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 21:28:34 »

Welcome to the forum welshman. Some interesting insights into ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s fleet there, particularly that WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) have told ATW to make their pacers last till 2018!  Shocked That sure is going to mean a lot of TLC (three letter code ) from the crew at Canton for them to last that long. Guaranteed income for the companies who make spare parts for 142s and 143s! I understand that they are in much better condition than the fleet that FGW (First Great Western) have trundling around Bristol and Exeter areas though.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 21:34:53 »

But the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly service which goes via Carmarthen, Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, is 90% of the time a 175.  Also the Cardiff to North Wales service, and Manchester to North Wales services are 175's most of the time too.

Almost all of the trains to Holyhead are 158's and as thats a train every 2 hours, so thats easily eating 50% of the 158's ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have

Really? Im quite surprised at that as eveytime ive seen it its been a 175 and its supposed to be a 175 isnt it?   Occasionally the West Wales to Manchester is a 158 but 9 times out of 10 its a 175.   I remember only a couple of years ago all of them were 158's
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 21:37:54 »

But the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly service which goes via Carmarthen, Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, is 90% of the time a 175.  Also the Cardiff to North Wales service, and Manchester to North Wales services are 175's most of the time too.

Almost all of the trains to Holyhead are 158's and as thats a train every 2 hours, so thats easily eating 50% of the 158's ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have

Really? Im quite surprised at that as eveytime ive seen it its been a 175 and its supposed to be a 175 isnt it?   Occasionally the West Wales to Manchester is a 158 but 9 times out of 10 its a 175.   I remember only a couple of years ago all of them were 158's

From what i've seen, all but the early peak services at 158's
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 21:42:22 »

Welcome to the forum welshman. Some interesting insights into ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s fleet there, particularly that WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) have told ATW to make their pacers last till 2018!  Shocked That sure is going to mean a lot of TLC (three letter code ) from the crew at Canton for them to last that long. Guaranteed income for the companies who make spare parts for 142s and 143s! I understand that they are in much better condition than the fleet that FGW (First Great Western) have trundling around Bristol and Exeter areas though.
Are 143's aren't in that bad of a condition, OK they are horrible, but they have been recenltyish refurbished and will be again soon.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 21:44:18 »

What shazz says is not quite right.

It is correct that 158s are largely the only trains running Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth - they are the ones which are having the radio-controlled signalling shortly.

As for everywhere else, the Valley lines are having (not all finished yet) platform extensions which enable 4 and in some cases 6 car trains to run - all 142/143/150.  If you travel at peak times on those services, full is not the word and train managers (horrible phrase) refuse to allow people to board sometimes.  They are also under instruction not to move down the aisle and attempt to collect fares on board unless they have a clear run to the rearmost carriage door in time for the next station stop.  (Question: why station stop?).

Cardiff Queen Street station, which is the sub-hub for the Valley lines - 5 routes pass through it, gets closed on international days because the platforms won't take the crowds.  Everyone has to queue outside Cardiff Central instead and they only get on the platform when their train's next.

As for fleet issues, ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have 142/143/150/153/158/175.  For a while they used 37s with 4 carriages on the Rhymney Valley line at peak times.  Those got out of stations smartly!

When they took on the franchise, they had a plan to purchase 22 NEW train sets but WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) said no.  Instead, 22 tired old 150 sets were cascaded from First Scotrail.  And they've since been allowed a few more to run the Ebbw Valley line.

In broad terms, WAG have told ATW they have to make the Pacers last until 2018.  By which time the entire population of South Wales will be bobbing up and down rhythmically.

Interesting information there Welshman.

So basically its's

142/143's - Valley lines, occasionally on Swanline
150 - Valley lines, Ebbw Vale Line, Vale of Glamorgan Line, Swanline, possibly Heart of Wales line?
153 - Heart of Wales Line, Swanline, Shrewsbury to Crewe, Crewe to Chester
158 - West Wales-Manchester, Cardiff to Holyhead, Cardiff to Fishguard Harbour, Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth, Maesteg to Cheltenham Spa
175 - West Wales-Manchester, Cardiff to Holyhead, Manchester to Llandudno, Manchester to Holyhead, Swansea to West Wales??

Jez

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 21:46:10 »

From what i've seen, all but the early peak services at 158's

I think Cardiff to Holyhead should be 175's as its one of the longest journey's ATW has - OK not as long as Milford Haven to Manchester, but certainly Cardiff-Holyhead is longer than Cardiff-Manchester.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 21:49:45 »

I believe that the Conwy Valley Line services are generally Class 153 operated as well.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
r james

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 21:51:32 »

Are 143's aren't in that bad of a condition, OK they are horrible, but they have been recenltyish refurbished and will be again soon.

More Pacer refurbishments?
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 21:53:09 »

This is getting off topic but never mind. 

The theory is that all the south-north services - Milford/Cardiff/Manchester/Holyhead are supposed to be 175s.  I recently did Abergavenny to Manchester and back on a very comfortable and uncrowded 175 for one of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s special deals - ^10 each way.

Incidentally, the Milford to Manchester service has an ancient and honourable history.  Originally it was going to follow another route entirely but the engineers gave up - see here about halfway down the page.

My father, who lived near where the engineers gave up and turned left at Strata Florida, said that the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line was known locally as the M & M even though it never was.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 21:54:00 »

I think we all might have missed something??? Arriva may have made the same mistake FGW (First Great Western) made with the 158's, MAYBE, just maybe, some unit's leases were due for renewall this month and someone at ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) management forgot all about it and in the meantime FGW have sneaked in??? It happened to us!!!!
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 21:54:42 »

I believe that the Conwy Valley Line services are generally Class 153 operated as well.

Thanks.  

Apparently they only have 8 153's though.  No wonder the Swanline is mainly 150's these days.

On the subject of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))), anyone know how many of their 158's are in proper ATW colours? Most seem to be these days but we still have some in the silver Wales and West colour.  Most of the 175's still arent in the proper ATW colour, its feels like they are FGW (First Great Western) trains!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 21:57:16 »

Quote from: jez
So basically its's

150 - Valley lines, Ebbw Vale Line, Vale of Glamorgan Line, Swanline, possibly Heart of Wales line?
158 - West Wales-Manchester, Cardiff to Holyhead, Cardiff to Fishguard Harbour, Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth, Maesteg to Cheltenham Spa
175 - West Wales-Manchester, Cardiff to Holyhead, Manchester to Llandudno, Manchester to Holyhead, Swansea to West Wales??

Yes.  There are photos of 175s on the Heart of Wales line too.

And I forgot the bubble car! There's a 121 on the Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay service.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 21:59:08 »

This is getting off topic but never mind. 

The theory is that all the south-north services - Milford/Cardiff/Manchester/Holyhead are supposed to be 175s.  I recently did Abergavenny to Manchester and back on a very comfortable and uncrowded 175 for one of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s special deals - ^10 each way.

Thats what I thought which is why I was surprised most Cardiff-Holyhead trains are still 158's.

I often go from Cardiff to Manchester by train and occasionally its a 158 but mostly a 175 - I find them very nice and comfortable as well. And yes there are some good deals for tickets between South Wales and Manchester.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 22:00:50 »

Quote from: jez
So basically its's

Yes.  There are photos of 175s on the Heart of Wales line too.

And I forgot the bubble car! There's a 121 on the Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay service.

A 175 also did the Swanline (Swansea to Cardiff which stops at all the small stations like Skewen)  one day over the Christmas period I seem to remember. I was surprised as its hardly long distance and would be better off using a 158 on that service and a 175 on Cardiff-Holyhead.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: