18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 23:10:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheaper fares to be offered - Cross Country to trial new system  (Read 7208 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:58:28 »

At yesterday evening's West Wilts Rail User Group meeting, one of the audience was recommending a ticket splitting / money saving website that puts up a map andlets you choose nearby stations as the first stage of a process (?). I heard "ticket split A to Z" but must have got it wrong, as nothing came up on Google when I searched for that (note my faith in Google to be all-encompassing!). I did, however, find no fewer that five sites offering split tickets.   

I suppose it's natural and encouraged market forces that a number of these systemd have sprung up in competiton with each other - and I wonder which forum members use / would recommend, if any?

http://www.splityourticket.co.uk

Ever found it difficult to get that cheap return train ticket you really wanted or left things to the last minute and all the cheap tickets had gone?

Worry not, because you can usually split your journey into smaller chunks, stay on the same train as long as the train calls at that station, and pay less than an anytime or off peak return fare.

Of course the easiest option is to book early and get hold of one of the many discounted fares offered by the individual train operators, otherwise enter your journey details above and see if there are any suitable alternatives that could save you money.

http://www.splitmyfare.co.uk

Splitting Your Fare means that instead of buying one ticket for your whole journey, you purchase tickets for two parts. For example if you're travelling from Manchester Piccadilly to Edinburgh, you would purchase a ticket from Manchester Piccadilly to Chorley and then from Chorley to Edinburgh.

When we checked the cheapest standard ticket from Manchester Piccadilly to Edinburgh was £59.90

The total cost of tickets from Manchester Piccadilly to Chorley and then from Chorley to Edinburgh was £42.90, a saving of £17.00.

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com

We do not charge booking or debit/credit card fees

Trainsplit.com  is dedicated to saving money on train tickets. This money saving booking engine uses a system called Split ticketing.

On a typical journey, say an off peak fare, Birmingham to Leeds costs £58.10. But using Split ticketing it would be £37.90, saving a whopping £20.20. Peak time savings can be even bigger.

Split ticketing works by us amalgamating cheaper tickets along that route, say, Birmingham to Derby, Derby to Sheffield, Sheffield to Leeds, but only if the journey stops en route.

You’d have to carry a few more tickets, but happily you’ll be carrying more money that you’ve saved too. You won’t have to get off the train either.

Savings can be made on both Advance and Flexible tickets in First or Standard.

Booking is simple and easy, but can take a minute or so as the engine searches for the biggest savings.

Split ticketing is completely legitimate and is specifically allowed in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. If there is a delay, all rail companies will allow you to travel on a later train.

Train travel pricing is rising and demand is growing. On the left is a Fare rise calculator’ which shows how much the train companies are hiking up prices.

Beat those fare rises by using our split ticketing fare beater, system.

http://splitticketing.co.uk

Split Train Tickets (Official Site)

SplitTicketing.com is dedicated to helping you save money on your train tickets.

Use our money saving split train ticket search and booking engine below and you could be pleasantly surprised with the split ticket savings you'll enjoy in addition to what you already save by purchasing your train tickets online in advance, or even if you book on the day of departure!

Split Train Tickets are allowed by the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, so take advantage of this and you could pay a lot less less than you otherwise would have for the same train tickets. For additional detailed information please follow the links in the menu bar below.

http://split.traintimes.org.uk

Split ticket finder

Say you’re travelling from Bournville to Reading for the day, leaving around 8am. If you just turned up and bought a ticket for that journey, it would cost you £108.60. Following this website, it would only cost you £33.80, for the same journey on the same trains. More information...

As well as the specific sites listed above, you could ask here  Grin ... where you'll usually get excellent suggestions taking a wider view than the sites do; split ticketing is not the only saving.   And you can also work it out / through for yourself - for those people with some experience already, that can lead to excellent results, backed up by a knowledge of the detail so that you can trade off flexibility versus price, and consider multiple journeys made in a period and other factors too.

Background

If you are travelling from a place "A" to a place "C", travelling on a train that calls at "B" on the way, or changing trains at "B", you are allowed to purchase a ticket from A to B and another from B to C to make up your journey, provided that each of the tickets is used within the conditions set out for it.

You might expect that buying a ticket in sections would be more expensive than buying a ticket all the way, but it turns out to be cheaper to "split" quite often.

If you purchase your tickets online, you can get a whole series of tickets ordered to be posted or to collect them from a ticket machine.  At a staffed booking office or you can normally purchase any ticket in the national database up to 3 months ahead, including tickets that start at different stations to the one that you're at to make your purchase.   There isn't the same flexibility, though, if you walk up to a ticket machine and try to find your combination through the front panel.

If you split your ticket, it's your responsibility to ensure that each ticket is valid as used.  I am unsure of the legal status if one of the ticket splitting websites above sells you an invalid combination, and you're likely to have trouble claiming compensation across a series of trains if a cancellation or failed connection causes a late arrival at final destination, or means you miss a train on which you have a "this train only" leg on your journey.

The Train Companies / government have set up the train fare system as it is - and there are good deals on some journeys, heavily marketed or specially priced to encourage traffic. So although there are some staff who take a dim view of split tickets (and indeed I have been challenged on a valid combination) the 'proper' line is that the lower fares for the individual legs have been set up to encourage you to use them.

As an aside ... there are other elements to making economic train ticket purchases. For example, if you're travelling out in the peak and back off peak, is a peak return best value, or would you do better with a peak single out and an offpeak single back?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:48:16 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:20:42 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38812175

..and a good picture as well

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:37:48 »

seems to have expanded to cover the country this morning....mods might want to move to "fares fair"

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:34:28 »

Just being discussed on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Breakfast - good news and long overdue - can't see GWR (Great Western Railway) and the rest of them being too happy though!   Wink
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:15 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report

At the moment passengers travelling between London St Pancras and Sheffield pay extra to travel via Grantham, for example, even though it takes longer.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the only way from St Pancras to Grantham is Change at Nottingham.

However Kings Cross to Nottingham via Grantham always used to be the same fare (in 1975 at least) because the (old) Great Northern Railway trains used to run that journey (to Nottingham Victoria) direct (up to about 100 years ago) so I suspect they also ran on to Sheffield up the Leam valley. 

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:24 »

Sorry if I'm missing something, but surely if the fare income rapidly falls, the cost of fares will need to rise to provide the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s with their income?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:17:34 »

Sorry if I'm missing something, but surely if the fare income rapidly falls, the cost of fares will need to rise to provide the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s with their income?

Presumably there will be some rebalancing, or are they starting with some fares that they hardly ever sell?

The move to selling single ticket pricing could be part of the rebalancing

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:31:47 »

Presumably there will be some rebalancing, or are they starting with some fares that they hardly ever sell?

The move to selling single ticket pricing could be part of the rebalancing

If the fare income is only at the current level due to not offering customers the lowest fares available, it would be disingenuous to say the least and I would imagine there would be considerable disquiet if they are obliged to do so and then raise fares in response?

The phrase giving with one hand and taking with the other springs to mind.

It is the TOCs undertaking this overhaul after all.

("Rebalancing" - great word though, I will look out for it in the coming months in this context!!!)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 10:02:54 »

quite.  Whilst you could (and should) have a fare system overhaul which was broadly cost neutral (and therefore affordable) for the industry as a whole it would be very difficult to make it cost neutral for every TOC
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:43 »

Which is why, I suspect, the Rail Delivery Group (the trade body representing TOCs (Train Operating Company) - formerly ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)) are starting with a limited trial with just one operator and route.

There may well have been agreement with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to underwrite any reduction in revenue that this trial brings.

CrossCountry is an interesting choice to look at. Most of their short distance Advance Purchase fares are priced below the walk on Day Single for a given station pair. Those Day Singles are often priced by another TOC who operate the local services between given station pairs. Because of this, huge savings can be made against the long distance XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) priced fares, by splitting multiple times.

I know from experience that a weekend day trip from Bristol to York was over 60% cheaper than the lowest price through Advances there and back, after splitting at Cheltenham, Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield and Leeds.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:40:58 »

As I understand it from the way it was described on the radio, splits are only going to be offered under this trial where there is a change of train. This won't pick up most of the cost advantages of splits en route on a single service, such as is often possible on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:41 »

For more details, this is the RDG(resolve) press release, which refers to a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) paper published in December 2016 called "Action Plan for Information on Rail Fares & Ticketing".

That Action Plan was drawn up by DfT (who published it) with Which?, RDG, ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), and Transport Focus. The press release also refers to an Action Plan published by DRG, though I can't find that on line. There is actually a lot if interesting stuff (if stuff like that interests you) on the DRG site. It's hidden, but if you go to the foot of the front page and click "Site map", then "Publications", you get a long list of documents. It's in random order, which isn't helpful, but hovering gives you a date and size at least.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 11:37:17 »

Which is why, I suspect, the Rail Delivery Group (the trade body representing TOCs (Train Operating Company) - formerly ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)) are starting with a limited trial with just one operator and route.

But even that will have an impact on other operators.  In fact XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is arguably the one TOC with the greatest potential to impact other operators.  But maybe that is why it is a good TOC to use as a trial in order to understand what those impacts will be. 

call me cynical, but I think that this might be yet more tinkering round the edges. 
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 13:22:00 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38812175

Interesting development,  so my understanding will ticket office/ machines do it for you ?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 14:03:07 »

Indeed, in an example given, a (flexible) all the way single ticket Scotland/Cornwall was well over the £100 mark, while the cheapest split ticket offering was around £80? - but these were advance fares, valid on one train(s) on one day. Whether you will still be able to find the more flexible ticket is unknown.

And there was talk of including TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) in this - how do they offer Advances then? Because they're saying the same fare will be available, regardless of purchase method.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: