16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:38:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[38] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[6] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[4] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail rover journeys  (Read 5263 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: January 29, 2017, 09:08:50 »

I will be 65 this summer and am thinking of giving myself a present of a 14 day All Line Rover ticket. If you had 14 days to travel Britain's railway lines, which ones would you say are the highlights which should definitely not be missed, and what towns would you definitely stop off at. (for the record, I've probably traveled on more than half the lines and know some very well but others only poorly and many, especially a lot of smaller branch lines, not at all).

Also, if anyone can confirm for me - I thought these tickets were not valid before 9am on weekdays, but looking at the National Rail website, it appears that they are only restricted on a small number of journeys before 10am from some towns along the London to Milton Keynes and Birmingham lines. So presumably they are valid for any other early morning journey, for instance the service that leaves just after 6am from Bath Spa to Edinburgh.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:24:06 »

I would certainly plan on doing most of the Scottish Highland lines (though in my opinion the Far North line is less spectacular and not a good use of a day of a Rover ticket). East coast route between Newcastle and Edinburgh is a must, as is Settle and Carlisle.  Maybe North Wales coast then down the Ffestiniog and back along the Cambrian Coast line to Shrewsbury.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:25:42 »

I will be 65 this summer and am thinking of giving myself a present of a 14 day All Line Rover ticket. If you had 14 days to travel Britain's railway lines, which ones would you say are the highlights which should definitely not be missed, and what towns would you definitely stop off at. (for the record, I've probably traveled on more than half the lines and know some very well but others only poorly and many, especially a lot of smaller branch lines, not at all).

Also, if anyone can confirm for me - I thought these tickets were not valid before 9am on weekdays, but looking at the National Rail website, it appears that they are only restricted on a small number of journeys before 10am from some towns along the London to Milton Keynes and Birmingham lines. So presumably they are valid for any other early morning journey, for instance the service that leaves just after 6am from Bath Spa to Edinburgh.

All Line Rovers used to be valid at any time of day on all trains, but some train operators have placed restrictions on their use at major stations on their arrivals and departures prior to 10 a.m.   Looking back many years ago, I did a couple of all line rovers and - living in south London - often started the journey with an early train into "town" and then a long distance jump from Euston or King's Cross - now not allowed because of the 10 a.m. there

Delighted to say that GWR (Great Western Railway) do not have the 10 a.m. restriction, and there are ways of mitigating it - I don't think you can leave Birmingham New Street early on a Virgin train, but you can catch a local to Wolverhampton and get on the Virgin train there.   National Rail Conditions of travel also allow you to switch from a point to point ticket to a leisure pass without stopping, and it's been suggested that this allows you to get on an early train at King's Cross if you hold a single to Finsbury Park and an all line rover. Not sure what the research outcome of that was / allowed or not.

Great fun tickets ... visited Alston in its final BR (British Rail(ways)) days - thank goodness there's very little in the UK (United Kingdom) that you need to take in before it goes these days ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:28:33 »

P.S. What you do is a hugely personal choice; noting John R's lovely selection - I would tend to look more at interesting and unusual rather that lovely.  I'm pretty sure I would end up at Stourbridge Town, for example ...

Are you looking "sole traveller", do you have company already, or are you looking for company?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:35:55 »

Exeter down to Penzance; taking in the St Ives branch line.  Stunning views on the branch; but a bit of a haul if coming down from the smoke.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 10:35:22 »

I guess it depends on what part of the railway scene most interests you.  Personally, I always like to visit places where things have recently changed or are in the process of changing.  For example last year I spent a couple of hours watching trains coming and going at Bromsgrove's new station, and caught a new Class 700 train from Purley to Luton having watched them from the overbridge at Salfords earlier in the day.  Then one day I took a train out to Cuxton and walked ten minutes up to the vantage point by the Medway Viaduct to watch some of Eurostar's e320 train flash past on HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel).

I'd perhaps look for some inspiration from bobm's magnificently documented annual odysseys:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17136.0

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15842.0

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14256.0

Whatever you decide to do, the value for money can be incredible, and the experience very rewarding.  Let us know what you end up doing.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:55:21 »

Exeter down to Penzance; taking in the St Ives branch line.  Stunning views on the branch; but a bit of a haul if coming down from the smoke.

I'd also  suggest the Newquay, Looe and Calstock branches as well.

It depends what you are interested in scenery, traction, uniqueness (Ghost trains etc).

Scenery all the places suggested plus South Wales and the Valley lines, which without coal, are becoming Green again.

Traction loco hauled lots of it about, Chiltern to get to and from Birmingham, Cumbrian Coast, Norwich  Yarmouth Lowestoff. If the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Holyhead Cardiff is still loco hauled it would be worth while North Wales coast the Marches and Newport Cardiff. Plus i believe the catering is quite good.

Real time trains will tell you which ones http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/. If you've a Smart Phone you can also track your journey and check late running for connections etc.. So plan some alternatives if a connection fails or a train is cancelled.

Re time restrictions don't forget London Midland from  London to Crewe and TPE (Trans Pennine Express) Manchester Glasgow to avoid Virgin and Cross Country.  Both I believe 350/360s EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) IMO (in my opinion) preferable to a Voyager and non first class pendelino don't have as many restriction on time

Uniqueness try Passenger services over unusual lines http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/intro.htm There's more than enough trains listed to fill more than a week, especially as some run only on Saturdays or like the Stockport Stalybridge service Fridays only.

Which reminds do you like beer. If so try and get hold of Unusual Railway Pubs Refreshment Rooms and Ale Trails. That will definitely take you to Staylybridge and other  unlikely places like  Denmark Hill., Huddersfield with its two pubs in the station.

Plus try the railway at  Marsden  with its 30 oz hub cap burger it's on the Pennine Real Ale Trailhttp://www.realaletrail.net/!

Don't know what the other think but L would consider First Class especially if you are doing trips to Scotland.

When you work it out you've probably got several years worth of ideas.

Good luck with your planning.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 12:26:07 »

I would definitely consider first class, as it works out at only around £17 a day extra with a railcard.  Excellent value, even if there are a couple of days when you can make minimal use of it. 
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 12:29:47 »

What a lovely thing to do, Froome.

You already have lots of great suggestions in this thread.  Re Scotland, I'd suggest combining Kyle and the West Highland Line in a circular trip.  I've done this a few times over the years - last time was in 2010.  This involves the ferry between Mallaig & Armadale, though in peak Summer, there may be a direct Mallaig - Kyle ferry.  If no through one, you take a bus across Skye, changing at Broadford.

In the far South West, definitely St Ives and, if you can only fit one other branch in, either Looe or Gunnislake.  A GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman dining trip would be a must for me too.

In Wales, I'd aim to combine the Cambrian Coast and North Wales coast lines with a trip via Porthmadoc, the Ffestiniog and Blaenau Ffestiniog.   

If it were me, I would definitely do Stourbridge Town - just because it is so quirky - and would try and fit in one of the "Parliamentaries" too, if possible.  Similarly, I'd aim to get to the Isle of Wight and ride on the 1938 stock to Shanklin.

Enjoy your planning!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 13:22:51 »

Many thanks for all suggestions so far, do keep them coming!

In response to a few:

St Ives line - I've cycled and walked to St Ives a few times but strangely have never arrived there by train, so that will definitely be on the list. I haven't been on the Gunnislake line either and that has been top of my to do list for a few years now.

My main interest will be in seeing the scenery and in visiting little known places, as I have a particular interest in local history, especially in places with an industrial heritage. So will certainly take on board Stourbridge, which I have never visited.

Scotland - I've been on all the highland lines and would aim to go on as many as I could again. Interesting idea about doing a circular route taking ferry and bus Mallaig to Kyle. I've not come across any direct ferry between the two even in the summer, but if there is would be very interested in trying that (I have taken both the Mallaig ferry and the Glenelg ferry in the past, as well as the Kyle one before the bridge was built, and would definitely recommend anyone going to use the Glenelg ferry, which is fascinating and in stunning landscape)

I haven't yet traveled on the Settle to Carlisle. I've had a couple of holidays in the Lakes when I have intended to but the weather closed in leaving no visibility. I am also interested in taking many of the other Pennine lines, especially those linking the industrial parts of Lancashire and Yorkshire, which from my limited knowledge have some amazing scenery as well as the industrial heritage.

First class - I did wonder about that, as the price differential isn't that huge. I ought to check exactly how much of the network has separate First Class seating to make it worth the extra.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 13:29:54 »

In North Wales I'd suggest the Welsh Highland Railway between Porthmadog and Caernarfon, fantastic scenery as you skirt round Mt Snowdon. The ALR (All Line Rover) is valid without additional payment on the WHR. Then a bus from Caernarfon to the North Wales line at Bangor or Llandudno, including a visit to Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch!

It is possible to do both the WHR and Ffestiniog Railway (ALR also valid) in one day, one way, starting at either Blaenau Ffestiniog or Caernarfon, and changing at Porthmadog, with time to have lunch there. Best to stay overnight in the area to start early on the WHR or FR. When I did the full one way trip I stayed the night before in Llandudno, taking the bus to Caernarfon in the morning.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 17:26:22 »

I would definatly go for first class, almost all long distance services have first class some of which is very good. Even when first is rather paltry it is still better than steerage and greatly increases your chances of getting a seat if nothing else.
I highly recommend the GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman, this is open to all ticket holders but first class get priority at busy times, another reason to go first.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 22:24:43 »

Firstly thanks to Industry Insider for posting links to my previous "voyages" - it was good to re-read them, I had forgotten some of the detail.  Grin

I would certainly endorse opting for a first class ALR (All Line Rover).  On my trips most of my journeys have had first class available and for the legs which haven't I have taken the precaution of reserving standard class seats where possible.  Having bought my ALR on line via GWR (Great Western Railway) (and got the Nectar Points) I have then gone to my local station with a list of the trains I want to reserve seats on and, because I haven't turned up at 8 o'clock on a Monday morning, the staff have been happy to work through the list and book my seats.  When you are doing a lot of travelling in a short space of time it is nice to have the reassurance that you will have a seat and, in first class, a bit of pampering.

You need a bit of stamina for an ALR.  There is a temptation to try to fit in as much mileage as possible to get the most out of your ticket - but worth bearing in mind a return trip from London to Scotland on the sleeper - even allowing for paying for berths on top - can account for nearly a quarter of the 14 day ticket so don't feel you HAVE to travel miles everyday to get value for money.

As for destinations that's very much a personal choice.  I am planning a fourth trip this summer and am still finding places I haven't been to before which are beckoning.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 22:50:05 »

I am planning a fourth trip this summer ...

I recall doing no planning for an All Line Rover ...

The joy of just getting onto a train and deciding where to go when underway, or even thinking "this looks interesting" as the train pulls in somewhere ... but that's a memory from three quarters of a lifetime ago.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:10 »

I am planning a fourth trip this summer ...

I recall doing no planning for an All Line Rover ...

The joy of just getting onto a train and deciding where to go when underway, or even thinking "this looks interesting" as the train pulls in somewhere ... but that's a memory from three quarters of a lifetime ago.

Yes, part of the reason for getting an ALR (All Line Rover) for me is to be able to arrive at a station, see a train beckoning and just get on it, with little idea where it will take you.  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: