DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:03:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: James Gray looks forward on Corsham  (Read 8918 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:10:42 »

James Gray, MP (Member of Parliament), on prospects for a Bristol to Cambridge service.

https://play.buto.tv/2Q29G

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:03:02 »

Very little I suspect until more capacity appears between Didcot & Swindon
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:04 »

So Corsham is to become the fourth corner of the triangle quadrilateral of science?  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 15:22:28 »

James Gray, MP (Member of Parliament), on prospects for a Bristol to Cambridge service.

https://play.buto.tv/2Q29G

Nice to see an MP in a rural English seat lobbying for rail, and to hear that a East/West rail is still being lobbied for.

As he says, who cares what services are proposed for the stations, just get the things built ASAP and figure out the details later.

Rather than wait for east-west rail though, I would have thought a good option would be to include Wiltshire in Metro West and extend services east to Swindon? Presumably there should be enough Turbos around to run it if there's enough capacity on the line? 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 17:32:57 »

Nice to see an MP (Member of Parliament) in a rural English seat lobbying for rail, and to hear that a East/West rail is still being lobbied for.

As he says, who cares what services are proposed for the stations, just get the things built ASAP and figure out the details later.

Rather than wait for east-west rail though, I would have thought a good option would be to include Wiltshire in Metro West and extend services east to Swindon? Presumably there should be enough Turbos around to run it if there's enough capacity on the line? 

Answering the second point first ... this is the "back" of a promotion in which the Wantage / Grove case is lead, pressed by the Oxfordshire MPs, and on that basis extending MetroWest to Swindon doesn't meet their need.

"Who cares what services" ... hhhmmm ... there's little point in building a station if nothing will call. "London to Bath and Bristol expresses cannot stop at a wayside station like Corsham" we are told "so you need a service before you can have a station".   Currently there is a train passing through at 08:38 on its way to Swindon that's a 150 + 153 combo, but that one service isn't regarded as enough to serve the station.   Metro West with the "what do we do with it at Bath?" hourly train extended to Swindon would serve Corsham and be really useful there; the main Corsham flow would actually (according to studies) be to Bath and west thereof, secondary flow to Swindon and change for London, so that would work well.

Swindon (and west thereof) to Oxford (and north and east thereof) is also a significant flow opportunity, and would provide a train of regional rather than intercity nature through the Grove and Wantage site.   I'm not personally convinced that the major flows from Grove and Wantage are actually to either Swindon or Oxford - I suspect there's a very strong desire to travel to Reading and London, and that "for London change at Appleford" would soon  be regarded as a poor second best to a through service, especially with Appleford likely to be on a diesel link to Didcot.

P.S. We haven't mentioned Royal Wootton Bassett, Saltford or St. Anne's in this discussion ... yet.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 18:27:57 »

It's hard to imagine "change at Appleford" being a decent answer to anything. Change at Didcot, with trains reversing there between Swindon and Oxford, would surely serve far more people. Didcot's a lot more of a "centre" than Appleford.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 20:02:40 »

It's hard to imagine "change at Appleford" being a decent answer to anything. Change at Didcot, with trains reversing there between Swindon and Oxford, would surely serve far more people. Didcot's a lot more of a "centre" than Appleford.

Depends on who's running the service / whether it's part of the franchise.   As Franchise, reversal at Didcot would be practical.  As open access, it would be regarded as potentially abstractional and the trains couldn't call.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 21:17:29 »

I'm not personally convinced that the major flows from Grove and Wantage are actually to either Swindon or Oxford - I suspect there's a very strong desire to travel to Reading and London, and that "for London change at Appleford" would soon  be regarded as a poor second best to a through service, especially with Appleford likely to be on a diesel link to Didcot.

It has almost certainly changed in the last 40+ years since I lived there, but then the major commutes from Wantage/Grove were definitely to Oxford and Harwell (Harwell Science and Innovation Campus).  There were also a few who commuted to Swindon.

I would say Oxford and Harwell certainly would still be major commuter destinations from Wantage and Grove. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 21:25:42 »

It has almost certainly changed in the last 40+ years since I lived there, but then the major commutes from Wantage/Grove were definitely to Oxford and Harwell (Harwell Science and Innovation Campus).  There were also a few who commuted to Swindon.

I would say Oxford and Harwell certainly would still be major commuter destinations from Wantage and Grove. 

Interesting - thank you.

The railhead for the Harwell Campus is Didcot ... with frequent (but quite slow) buses from the station to the campus - around half of which carry on to Wantage. I can't imagine people fro Wantage catching the train to Didcot to connect to the bus.  But the station would be at Grove (Wantage Road) and I'm not sure of the metrics between Wantage and Wantage Road.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 21:39:11 »

The railhead for the Harwell Campus is Didcot ... with frequent (but quite slow) buses from the station to the campus - around half of which carry on to Wantage. I can't imagine people fro Wantage catching the train to Didcot to connect to the bus.  But the station would be at Grove (Wantage Road) and I'm not sure of the metrics between Wantage and Wantage Road.

I admit the Harwell traffic will not transfer to rail.

However, with good bus links I see no reason why Oxford should not be a strong market for rail. Parking is difficult and traffic bad.

Wantage road once had excellent public transport links to the station (the tramway, but it closed to passengers in 1928). However, the station is very near Grove and the internal Wantage/Grove bus services could easily serve the station.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:58:02 »

Until the extra housing is built around Wantage/Grove, I would suggest that there is no untapped pax wanting to travel, as they all currently travel via Didcot - see the car park usage there!

So building that station will wait until a) the houses are being built, and b) capacity between Swindon/Didcot is capable of carrying stopping trains. The 387s to Didcot extended through to Swindon would be the obvious carrier towards London, with EWR being the cross-country carrier you are discussing above.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 11:06:04 »

Nice to see an MP (Member of Parliament) in a rural English seat lobbying for rail, and to hear that a East/West rail is still being lobbied for.

Answering the second point first ... this is the "back" of a promotion in which the Wantage / Grove case is lead, pressed by the Oxfordshire MPs, and on that basis extending MetroWest to Swindon doesn't meet their need.

"Who cares what services" ... hhhmmm ... there's little point in building a station if nothing will call. "London to Bath and Bristol expresses cannot stop at a wayside station like Corsham" we are told "so you need a service before you can have a station".   Currently there is a train passing through at 08:38 on its way to Swindon that's a 150 + 153 combo, but that one service isn't regarded as enough to serve the station.   Metro West with the "what do we do with it at Bath?" hourly train extended to Swindon would serve Corsham and be really useful there; the main Corsham flow would actually (according to studies) be to Bath and west thereof, secondary flow to Swindon and change for London, so that would work well.

Swindon (and west thereof) to Oxford (and north and east thereof) is also a significant flow opportunity, and would provide a train of regional rather than intercity nature through the Grove and Wantage site.   I'm not personally convinced that the major flows from Grove and Wantage are actually to either Swindon or Oxford - I suspect there's a very strong desire to travel to Reading and London, and that "for London change at Appleford" would soon  be regarded as a poor second best to a through service, especially with Appleford likely to be on a diesel link to Didcot.

P.S. We haven't mentioned Royal Wootton Bassett, Saltford or St. Anne's in this discussion ... yet.

Stations are trains are chicken and egg aren't they? But arguably if you agree to build the station first (which will take a fair few years to go through the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process anyway), then in the meantime a suitable service way of serving it can be found, assuming that there are enough paths for a stopping service.

I take your point on the journeys though, it seems to me that throughout much of the country we desperately need a wholesale restoration of intermediate stations and stopping services, but of course the problem is that many of our main lines are already overtaxed, whilst the complexity of our geography means that stopping services are harder to squeeze in.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:14:13 »

The rail system was thinned out over the past 70 years to a point where many stopping services are not viable, without doubling track or adding sidings.

Current mainlines have high speed traffic every 15/30 minutes normally, so the timeframe for a stopping service to use the mainline is not great.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:23:43 »

Worcestershire Parkway is an example of where there is sufficient political pressure, the station will get built even though no TOC (Train Operating Company) really wants to stop, and the pathing is such that it is likely to need other stops removed to ensure that the path is big enough to be able to stop.

cf Pershore/Honeybourne on the North Cotswolds, where the proposed IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) once-an-hour timetable is likely to have to drop stops in order to fit WParkway in....b*ll*cks really. A town the size of Worcester does not need 3 stations
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 12:00:33 »

Oxfordshire CC has considered a station for Wantage/Grove a 'priority' for some years, but it has gone nowhere because of the problem of identifying any trains that could form a reasonable service. They pin their hopes eventually on an hourly East-West service and a peak service from Swindon on to London some time in the next decade - or possibly now beyond (2025-2030). They also want four trains an hour between Didcot and Oxford and on to Bicester, of which the former would be one.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: