Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 03:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 03:29:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of a weekly ticket from Reading to Watford tube station  (Read 5099 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2017, 12:43:58 »

All, for the last few weeks I have been commuting between Thatcham  and site in the Watford area. I am catching the bus to Reading so have been buying a weekly ticket from Reading to Watford Jn (WFJ). This is fine

This ticket costs just below £160 for 7 days

But I now want to think about going to Watford station which is on the Met line. This caused confusion in Reading this morning because the GWR (Great Western Railway) person - who tried to be very helpful - couldn't find the right price and quoted me £130ish pounds  which to me is wrong because it should be about the same price as the WFJ ticket. Can anyone tell me how much it should be? I declined the £130 ticket this morning because it was wrong and told the lady so.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 13:07:17 »

I don't think there is a fare to Underground stations beyond zone 6 from outside the London zonal area. You can get a zone 9 season from within the zonal area, I do know, but I don't think there is such a product from outside it. Happy to be corrected.

Various options include going to Watford High Street which isn't very far from Watford Met Line station (probably cheaper than, but slower than) or buying a London Terminals ticket & an underground pass to zone 9 on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) or contactless or an extension from the zone 1-6 Travelcard available (but you'd need to alight at zone 6, touch in with Oyster/contactless and out at Watford)

**I may have Watford in thr wrong zone here, but it's definitely beyond zone 6 so the options remain
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 13:08:54 »

I suspect the problem is that Watford Met needs a travelcard valid out to Zone 7, which will come at a premium compared to the fare to Watford Jn which is an ordinary rail 'point to point' fare with cross London validity.  

Watford Jn is not actually in the fare zones, as you possibly know already, so you are effectively travelling into the zones and out the "other side" as it were.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:47:14 by paul7755 » Logged
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 13:28:04 »

Thank you Paul. I'm getting confused here about the zones for Watford Jn and Watford tube stations

My colleague - who travels to Watford (met line) leads me to believe that station is in Zone 7

I'm still trying to confirm the zoning for Watford Junction.

I'm confused (which is exactly why I came here!)

Thanks again

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 13:31:20 »

Watford Junction isn't actually in a numbered zone - it is, for Travelcard/Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)/contactless purposes, in Zone 'W' I believe, which is simply an add-on beyond zone 9.....
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 13:38:29 »

Watford Junction isn't actually in a numbered zone - it is, for Travelcard/Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)/contactless purposes, in Zone 'W' I believe, which is simply an add-on beyond zone 9.....

So does that mean Watford (Zone 7) should be cheaper than WFJ (Zone W)?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 14:09:10 »

On what type of ticket?

As I say, there is no rail fare to Watford, so it's nye on impossible to say whether it is 'cheaper'. Cheaper for what journey/ticket?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 14:13:09 »

On what type of ticket?

As I say, there is no rail fare to Watford, so it's nye on impossible to say whether it is 'cheaper'. Cheaper for what journey/ticket?

A weekly travel card (or season ticket)

Thanks
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 14:15:25 »

There is fare from RDG(resolve) to Watford, thus no Travelcard or season either. Your options are as listed in my post above, which do you prefer?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 14:19:27 »

There is fare from RDG(resolve) to Watford, thus no Travelcard or season either. Your options are as listed in my post above, which do you prefer?

Thank you Chris - I had assumed (wrongly) that because I had a weekly ticket from RDG to WFJ (which says travel card on it) a similar thing would be available for Watford (Met) but I was wrong.

Thanks for your advice

Dave
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 14:48:09 »

Indeed, and I missed a word out - There is *no* fare from RDG(resolve) to Watford tube.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 16:54:41 »

Would it be possible to combine the appropriate fare on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) from here:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares-2017.pdf
(£65.40 Zones 1-7 for Watford Met or £86.10 Zones 1-9 + Watford Junction)
with a £71.30 Reading to West Drayton 7 Day Season?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 17:02:32 »

yep, but as it's a season-to-season combo, he would need to catch trains stopping @ West Drayton. not appealing?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 17:06:27 »

yep, but as it's a season-to-season combo, he would need to catch trains stopping @ West Drayton. not appealing?

Under current NRCOT (National Rail Conditions of Travel), I thought season to season is allowed without a stop, whereas under NRCOC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) it wasn't?  I'm advised this may not have been an intent of the rewrite and that RDG(resolve) are "consulting" on another change (I suspect an internal consultation rather than asking the customers!) but for the moment ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 19:18:02 »

Incorrect. Season to season splits do not require a stop at the split point.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: