Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:10 Gloucester to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 19:38:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[100] access for all at Devon stations report
[64] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[23] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[4] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway towns  (Read 7737 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:34:15 »

I quite often hear the phrase '(name of place) is a railway town', so thought I would pick the brains of the forum to see which towns you think deserve this epithet. The phrase usually means somewhere whose development and economy has been profoundly affected by railways, and seems to me to have three elements:
a) A town which developed due to railway development, or where it had a dominant affect.
b) A town whose economy has been largely dependent on the railway industry.
c) A town whose station(s) are important hubs in the railway network.

Three towns - Crewe, Swindon and York - are the ones I most associate with the phrase, closely followed by Derby and Darlington. But I'm sure there are many others. Indeed, I have read that Barnstaple was always described as a railway town, as it was at the hub of the north Devon rail network, but sadly no more. What about Scotland and Wales, do any of their towns deserve the epithet? And interestingly the town that is perhaps most dependent on the railway, London, I've never heard thus described.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:59:46 »

Didcot is sometimes referred to as a railway town, but the real spurt to growth came more from the army and ordnance depots developed from the first world war onwards. Then again if it wasn't for the railway these probably wouldn't have happened - supposedly the site was identified by a high ranking army officer who was waiting for a train at Didcot station in 1914 and opened in June 1915.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 13:21:20 »

Eastleigh was generally considered a 'railway town' once most of the LSWR (London South Western Railway) manufacturing and repair had been consolidated there. 

I suppose one approach is to look at what came first, I'd probably ask the question "would this place exist - in its late 19th or early 20th century size - if they had not invented railways"?

I'm not sure about using the term with respect to Dicot either...

Paul
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 13:22:41 »

Not forgetting Melton Constable out in sleepy Norfolk;

and my own L&Y local:- Horwich.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 13:50:18 »

I would say a) with a little bit of b), but not c).

Really had to have a railway works of significant size to count.  If a) and b) were true then usually c) followed, though Eastleigh and Ashford could be seen to contradict this (though maybe that is because there was less scope for being an important railway hub south of the Thames in the way that they were in the rest of the country. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 13:59:38 »

Woolverton, Doncaster, Lancing, ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 14:27:50 »

Carlisle and Carnforth?
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 15:18:21 »

Woolverton, Doncaster, Lancing, ....

Well, Doncaster was an important coaching town on the Great North Road, as well a market town for a large agricultural area including parts of Lincolnshire,Nottinghamshire and southern Yorkshire. However the decision to build the GNR railway workshops (Doncaster Plant Works) at the town instead of Boston or Peterborough resulted in a huge expansion of the town. Subsequently coal mining developed around the Doncaster area (most of it in the twentieth century) and the town's development continued. The railway was once the major employer in the town but certainly isn't any more (probably the NHS is the largest single employer), however the Plant Works is still there and busy, it seems. Meanwhile, the coal mines, in the surrounding villages have gone, replaced by housing or big sheds!

However, I would say that Swindon and Crewe are the 'true' railway towns as prior to the railway they were only very small settlements of no major significance. Derby, York, Darlington have a long history that pre-dates railways.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 15:25:16 »

Newton Abbot - was known by some as Little Swindon.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 15:26:35 »

Didcot's population in the 1841 census was 181.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 15:32:26 »

Certainly not London; the railways went to London because it was London, rather than the place becoming London because of the railways. Similarly not Berlin, though I'm told its shape follows the railway lines in and out of it (so I remember from school geography).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 17:18:57 »

Certainly not London; the railways went to London because it was London, rather than the place becoming London because of the railways. Similarly not Berlin, though I'm told its shape follows the railway lines in and out of it (so I remember from school geography).
Quite so a fact that the RAF (Royal Air Force) used to find usefull or so I'm told  Wink
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 17:22:26 »

Ashford Kent with the SECR works. Still the depot for the Javalins.
Woodford Halse middle of nowhere large marshalling yard and loco shed.
March Norfolk another remote marshalling yard and loco shed.

What about all the seaside resorts like Blackpool, Scarborough Skegness etc.

Ports particularly Southampton, Immingham
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 21:44:09 »

Westbury?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 22:50:10 »

Do many in Wedtbury work on the railway then?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: