Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 01:34:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[49] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[44] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[42] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Longest walk at an interchange?  (Read 4963 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:47 »

After my experience yesterday evening, I nominate the Victoria line platform at King's Cross / St Pancras to Platform 1 at St Pancras.   Anyone know of any longer walks between trains supposedly at the same interchange?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:48:42 »

The Circle/Hammersmith & City to the same platform is further still at St Pancras!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:03:45 »

The Circle/Hammersmith & City to the same platform is further still at St Pancras!

Really?  Perhaps because I followed the signs last night ... I felt a LONG way from the Victoria to where the sign set you off for the Piccadilly line then a long way to the Northern passages ... and that's even before coming up out of the tube network.

My plan was to catch the H&C from Paddington to Farringdon and change there ... but although journey planner had offered me a direct service from Paddington to King's Cross, I got to the H&C platforms to find them half-closed; services Edware Road to Hammersmith only.   Thus Bakerloo via Oxford Circus.   

Question - does the journey planner take into account underground engineering works?   Seem to have offered me a service that wasn't running due to planned engineering works last night!

Good job I didn't get to Farringdon anyway because Thameslink was closed, Sunday evening being a quiet time (not !) for travel - thus ...
- long walk at Paddington - Platform 3 to H&C to Bakerloo line
- long walk at Oxford Circus, from southbound Bakerloo / Victoria to Northbound same
- long walk at KX St P,  Victoria line to platforms A/B (found barrier across) to platform 1
which as I had a majorly heavy bag of stuff for this week's course I'm giving was not what I wanted.

Question - Is a National Rail ticket valid for crossing London valid on the 205 bus which is what I should have used!

Anyway - good night's sleep and I'm ready for Linux and Python!   Hotel internet awful - I tried out the timing site you folks have been using on the GWR (Great Western Railway) WiFi and ... it timed out as the response was so slow!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:25:24 »

The *rail* journeyplanners don't take account of underground engineering works, no - you need to check also on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) journeyplanner.

You must have taken the wrong route from Bakerloo southbound to Victoria Northbound - there is a short route that basically simply takes you up & over one tube line - it's less than 5 minutes, probably nearer two.

I don't think rail tickets valid on cross-London transfer include buses, but I'm happy to be corrected as a bus is often easier with heavy luggage.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:29:20 »

West Hampstead Thameslink  to WH Jubilee
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:41:43 »

I assume |Grahame was referring to interchanges *within* the same station?
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:20:44 »

Correct, Oxford Circus is simply up the stairs, turn, go across, turn and down the stairs, not far at all.

Regarding St Pancras, once you come up from the Vic line, you need to turn left and go past the H&C entrance and then up to the Midland platforms, the back way you took is handy for Southeastern services.

Numerous possibilities but i would say H&C to P11-P13 would be the longest interchange at STP
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:51:59 »

Same station undergound Bank DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to  bank W&C in fact probably any line at Bank to W&C.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 10:56:52 »

DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to W&C must be the longest at Bank?
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:54 »

I walked the two miles between Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction once, but I wouldn't recommend it
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:58:52 »

I don't recall if it's Warren St changing from Northern to Victoria, or possibly Green Park Picc to Victoria, but one of those interchanges takes you all the way to street level and back down again, so surely must take the award for the longest vertical distance?!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 12:13:35 »

Nope - that would be Holborn - Central / Piccadilly lines, I believe. One of the longest escalators on the underground....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:44:34 »

I walked the two miles between Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction once, but I wouldn't recommend it

And I got off a train at Pilning and my return was from Severn Beach ;-) ...

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 12:56:26 »

I don't recall if it's Warren St changing from Northern to Victoria, or possibly Green Park Picc to Victoria.

Yes, Green Park is a bit of a distance. As for Warren Street I changed there by mistake a few weeks back, that really is a long distance.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 13:14:26 »

Nope - that would be Holborn - Central / Piccadilly lines, I believe. One of the longest escalators on the underground....

Does that take you all the way to the street level? I don't recall ever changing lines there - although Holborn might win on vertical distance, those that particularly stick in my mind are when you end up looking at the street half way through your line change - makes the whole concept of 'underground' seem slightly pointless!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: