19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 09:44:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[117] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[61] access for all at Devon stations report
[39] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[14] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thames Trains  (Read 10796 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 18:56:43 »

What was Thames Trains like?

Were they better than FGW (First Great Western)/FGWLink?

What about journey times?
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 19:46:00 »

You would hate them. Cheesy
They operated services on the Cotswold line reguarly and the only stock they had were Thames Turbo's.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 19:49:43 »

You would hate them. Cheesy
They operated services on the Cotswold line reguarly and the only stock they had were Thames Turbos.

Hmmmmmm- I knew those. Cheesy

Yes- maybe I would hate them. Wink

NB- on my latest poll- I voted for Thames Turbos on the commuter/local poll (What? you all say- Shocked)!

It is only when FGW (First Great Western) put a Thames Turbo on a long journey (except the "halts" train where short platforms are a'common!) that I hate them.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 20:05:41 »

Thames Trains weren't much cop, neither were First Great Western Link and come to that neither are FGW (First Great Western) on these routes. The common denominator on all three of these franchises...165/166 Turbos! 150s are better and I don't mind travelling on a 150 on a fairly long distance journey, though much prefer a 158.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 20:15:56 »

Thames Trains weren't much cop, neither were First Great Western Link and come to that neither are FGW (First Great Western) on these routes. The common denominator on all three of these franchises...165/166 Turbos! 150s are better and I don't mind travelling on a 150 on a fairly long distance journey, though much prefer a 158.

To be fair, Thames Turbos are faster and wider than 150s!

(never thought I'd be defending a Thames Turbo!)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 20:20:51 »

To be fair, Thames Turbos are faster and wider than 150s!

(never thought I'd be defending a Thames Turbo!)
Always a first time for everything  Wink
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 21:53:18 »

OK, so when I started commuting on the Cotswold Line, Thames trains operated only turbos, and FGW (First Great Western) operated a couple of HSTs (High Speed Train) from Hereford in the morning and evening.

But if a train was going to be late it was almost always the HSTs, the Thames Turbos werent much cop for a comfortable ride but they were generally on time.

Also the station customer information screens worked and showed useful information.
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 22:33:29 »

Thames trains weren't amazing, but deffinitely a slight step-up in punctuality compared to FGW (First Great Western).  There certainly weren't half as many cancellations as there are now.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 20:34:03 »

I travelled on Thames trains from 1992 until FGW (First Great Western) took over the Franchise and now travel FGW (Maidenhead to Paddington daily).

Thames trains' punctuality used to be outstanding.. until the Heathrow express was introduced.. Since this is the MOST important train to the West of London, it did hamper punctuality somewhat..

However, my experience is that punctuality and reliabilty have gone down considerably since FGW took over.
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 20:54:17 »

Thames Trains had a dire safety record though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/dec/10/ladbrokegrove.transport

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/771303.stm

Personally from a safety point of view, I am very glad First Group are in charge.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 21:58:11 »

Personally from a safety point of view, I am very glad First Group are in charge.

I agree there, First Group are renowed for there excellent safety standards.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 22:06:47 »

I agree there, First Group are renowed for there excellent safety standards.

Yes I agree too.. Safety is the most important thing..

However, I'd quite like to get to work on time (safely) occasionally too...
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 16:50:58 »

I Suggest everyone reads the two news links in this thread.....and remembers this would never happen under FGW (First Great Western)

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 18:57:53 »

Ladbroke Grove the accident that should never have happened.

Why weren't points 5059 set for the Down Relief?

SPADS in themselves aren't a problem as the train usually stops. It's when the driver is not aware they've SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) (Harrow). It was called train running away i.e out of control of the signalman. In block signalling there are two code one for running away right line i.e. in direction of travel which could lead to a rear end collision. The second wrong line which leads to a head on collision. One of the rules for dealing with a wrong line incident is that the signalman should endevour to get the train back on the right line.

At Ladbroke Grove the route was set Line 3 UP main for down train. So in effect the Turbo was running away wrong line.

The tradgedy is that there was a dress rehersal 18 months or so earlier when a Down  HST (High Speed Train) which SPAD 109 and Up Heathrow Express were stopped a few hundred yards apart facing each other on the same line.

It was also the 9th SPAD at SN109. In my days at Waterloo filing SPAD reports, ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) would be banging on my govenors door after any SPAD at any signal demanding a sighting committee as it couldn't be the driver's fault. In fact it didn't even need a SPAD for them demand a sighting committee. We were having a lot of trouble with the then new sodium (yellow) streeet lights being erected on overbridges and close to line and being brighter than an oil lamp confusing the driver. The usual answer was a shield behind the light facing the railway to cut out the light.

I don't know what they would have done if there had been multiple SPADS at the same signal. Probaly instructed their drivers to approach it at 5 mph even if clear.

One of the little know post Ladbroke Grove actions is to make 5059 lie for the Down Relief if Down train comes down Line 3. Doors and stables.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 19:17:50 »

Ladbroke grove could have been much worse as the HST (High Speed Train) was only doing 75mph and the linespeed used to be 100mph (now 50) so don't moan that journey times are slower!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: