Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:36:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The song of the First Great Western  (Read 3121 times)
deep throat

View Profile Email
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:00 »

For all long suffering passengers, here is the song that sums it up

http://www.morgle.com/firstgreatwestern.htm

woody

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:07:35 »

For all long suffering passengers, here is the song that sums it up

http://www.morgle.com/firstgreatwestern.htm

magic right on the ball
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:31:06 »

Some people have nothing whats so ever better to do with their time it's frightening!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:55 »

Some people have nothing whats so ever better to do with their time it's frightening!
Anyone would think FGW (First Great Western) are the only ones who have overcrowding problems by listening to that! never been a great fan of country and western.  Wink
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:50:36 »

you are Right vacman...some people dont or dont want to relise that overcrowding isnt only something that happens in our region

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 13:45:57 »

have you noticed that FGW (First Great Western) managers never use the word "overcrowding".  they call it "crowding" instead
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 14:29:11 »

I stand to be corrected on the figures, but FGW (First Great Western) have managed to generate 7 serious blogs about their performance and 3 regularly viewed forums, these begun primarly due to FGW^s running of the franchise. It was only a matter of time before the shambles was captured in verse, the only surprising thing is that it^s taken so long!!!

We^ve all got better things to do than post here if FGW/DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about)/Notwork Rail/ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and the rest pulled their fingers out and started providing a decent rail service, or at least could be honest enough to tell their ^customers^ what the hell is going on and what they are going to do about it and when, and ^we^ the ^customers^ actually see it happen.

And until something does happen ^on the ground^ then quite rightly I for one am quite happy to wave fake tickets and write to my MP (Member of Parliament) and DafT and post here and elsewhere until something is done about it.

Up until recently there has been little indication that our ^Gord^, who seems to be a bit distracted by NUFC sponsorship problems, was taking any of this seriously, well perhaps he does now.

Alistair Darling is the mug in the organ grinders monkeys hand.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 15:58:41 by tramway » Logged
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 16:25:22 »

It's a shame Billy Bragg isn't a Janner.

Would be interesting to hear his take on the issue.
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 10:48:47 »

I stand to be corrected on the figures, but FGW (First Great Western) have managed to generate 7 serious blogs about their performance and 3 regularly viewed forums, these begun primarly due to FGW^s running of the franchise. It was only a matter of time before the shambles was captured in verse, the only surprising thing is that it^s taken so long!!!

We^ve all got better things to do than post here if FGW/DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about)/Notwork Rail/ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and the rest pulled their fingers out and started providing a decent rail service, or at least could be honest enough to tell their ^customers^ what the hell is going on and what they are going to do about it and when, and ^we^ the ^customers^ actually see it happen.

And until something does happen ^on the ground^ then quite rightly I for one am quite happy to wave fake tickets and write to my MP (Member of Parliament) and DafT and post here and elsewhere until something is done about it.

Up until recently there has been little indication that our ^Gord^, who seems to be a bit distracted by NUFC sponsorship problems, was taking any of this seriously, well perhaps he does now.

I lived in Kent for many years and I'm always amazed that South Eastern have never generated the bad feelings that FGW seem to have done (ok - I know DfT» (Department for Transport - about) etc etc etc).

I decided to have a look online and found sod all!

I did find this though http://www.jonathanshaw.org.uk/?PageId=8f2d2331-4490-a544-9583-e3683b694517

Have a look at some prices as well and the price rises. I used to live in Ashford and most trains left there full in a morning. Oh, and first class - really worth the extra money! You get the same sized, same design seat in the same carriage as standard, but it is coloured red instead of blue. Last time I went to Kent I went 1st Class (a rare treat) - fantastic on FGW but sat in standard class on SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) - even the conductor joked that it wasn't really worth me moving into 1st as there was no difference.

Worth noting too that the seats are uncomfortable and have no leg room. Comparing the two standards of rolling stock (and SET are refreshing their stock too), FGW win hands down - Standard HST (High Speed Train) (refresh) on FGW is far better than 1st on SET. For the record, Charing X to Ashford, fastest train just over an hour, slowest normally 1 hour 30/40.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 11:01:05 »

Not SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) but SWT (South West Trains) 450 desiro blue trains have the same seats in First Class as the awful Wessex Trains 158 refurb!!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 11:22:00 »

I lived in Kent for many years and I'm always amazed that South Eastern have never generated the bad feelings that FGW seem to have done (ok - I know DfT» (Department for Transport - about) etc etc etc).

I decided to have a look online and found sod all!

I did find this though http://www.jonathanshaw.org.uk/?PageId=8f2d2331-4490-a544-9583-e3683b694517

Have a look at some prices as well and the price rises. I used to live in Ashford and most trains left there full in a morning. Oh, and first class - really worth the extra money! You get the same sized, same design seat in the same carriage as standard, but it is coloured red instead of blue. Last time I went to Kent I went 1st Class (a rare treat) - fantastic on FGW but sat in standard class on SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) - even the conductor joked that it wasn't really worth me moving into 1st as there was no difference.

Worth noting too that the seats are uncomfortable and have no leg room. Comparing the two standards of rolling stock (and SET are refreshing their stock too), FGW win hands down - Standard HST (High Speed Train) (refresh) on FGW is far better than 1st on SET. For the record, Charing X to Ashford, fastest train just over an hour, slowest normally 1 hour 30/40.

There have been quite a few Parliamentary Questions asked about South Eastern issues (link below.)
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4456.msg8231#msg8231

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: