Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here]. Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
July 25, 2017, 09:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Stations in Wales - priority list  (Read 2013 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

New Railway Stations in Wales - proposals .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717

New railway station plans for Wales chosen for scrutiny

Economy Secretary Ken Skates has written to AMs saying the sites have been chosen from a list of 46 proposals for more detailed scrutiny.

Priority railway station proposals
Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park
Cardiff: Newport Road/Rover Way
Cardiff: St Mellons
Newport: Llanwern
Swansea: Cockett
Swansea: Landore
St Clears
Deeside Industrial Park/Northern Gateway
North Wrexham
South Wrexham
Llangefni
Bow Street

What - no Carno?  Anyone have the full list of 46?

TransWilts Rail - Linking North to West and South 9 times a day. [see here]
John R
TransWilts Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »

So I'll stick my neck out on one proposal, Newport Rd/Rover Way.

It's very familiar to me - indeed my father took me to that exact bridge when I was around 4 to watch the trains (and in hindsight, to give my mother some respite), and Mum still lives close by. I still remember the surprise we had when we turned up one day to find the signal box demolished and the area controlled by colour lights.

I can't see the sense in the proposal. Being a four track railway it would be hugely expensive, and there isn't that great a housing catchment area within walking distance, even with the newish flats built on the old Freightliner depot. Newport Rd is very well catered for by numerous buses, which take office commuters to the right side of the city centre for the majority of them. Given the line is very busy, unless the services run on the relief lines, it would cause performance issues too.   
ellendune
TransWilts Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »

There is a Park and Ride Close by there isn't there?
John R
TransWilts Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »

It's a fair way away, and not really aimed at the same market. 
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »

So I'll stick my neck out on one proposal, Newport Rd/Rover Way.

It's very familiar to me - indeed my father took me to that exact bridge when I was around 4 to watch the trains (and in hindsight, to give my mother some respite), and Mum still lives close by. I still remember the surprise we had when we turned up one day to find the signal box demolished and the area controlled by colour lights.

I can't see the sense in the proposal. Being a four track railway it would be hugely expensive, and there isn't that great a housing catchment area within walking distance, even with the newish flats built on the old Freightliner depot. Newport Rd is very well catered for by numerous buses, which take office commuters to the right side of the city centre for the majority of them. Given the line is very busy, unless the services run on the relief lines, it would cause performance issues too.   

Wasn't there a developer who wanted to pay for at least part of the station?
John R
TransWilts Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »

I wasn't aware of that. Can't think of any attractive land nearby that might be ripe for development, but you never know.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: