22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 11:39:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[143] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[121] access for all at Devon stations report
[80] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[49] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[14] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Plan to build new Class P2 'Mikado' locomotive to a design by Sir Nigel Gresley  (Read 5702 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:29:54 »

From the Yorkshire Post:

Full steam ahead for plan to build new loco to design by Scotsman engineer

Flying Scotsman in Fairburn, Yorkshire, as it travels from Castleton to the National Railway Museum in York

A project to build a new steam locomotive to a design by the engineer of Flying Scotsman has raised nearly £90,000 in a month, its organisers have announced.

The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, which operates the new 100mph Tornado engine, seen on Yorkshire’s Settle-Carlisle line earlier this year, said a crank axle had already been completed for the new loco, a P2 class engine to be called Prince of Wales.

The original class P2 “Mikado” locomotives were the most powerful passenger steam engines to operate in the UK (United Kingdom). They were designed by Sir Nigel Gresley to haul 600-ton trains on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route.

Sir Nigel was chief engineer of the London and North Eastern Railway, and also designed the Mallard, which could reach 126mph and still holds the record as the fastest steam locomotive in the world.

Mark Allatt, project director for the new P2 engine, said the axle construction and the latest financial pledges were two significant milestones.

“We are delighted with the level of support that the project to build Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive has received since construction started only three years ago,” he said.

The new loco is said to be on track for completion in 2021, but its progress depends on raising more than £700,000 a year, which, Mr Allatt said, “becomes more challenging as each year passes”.

He added: “We would encourage all steam enthusiasts who haven’t yet contributed to become a monthly covenantor or support one of our other fundraising initiatives.”

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:09:52 »

So close. A lack of definite articles preceeding locomotive names, except Mallard. I'll give this journalist 7/10.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 15:50:06 »

I thought the LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) Princess Coronation class were the most powerful UK (United Kingdom) steam locos ever built.  Anyway, my trainspotting days were in the Midlands and I always preferred LMS locos to LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 17:43:58 »

According to my my sources, the Midland's 2290 (Lickey Banker) at 192.6kN beat a Princess Coronation's 180kN. However, the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) P2 turned out 193.3kN. As far as I can see, nothing ever beat that in the UK (United Kingdom).

All of these look a bit weedy in comparison with a Union Pacific 'Big Boy' though - they churned out a somewhat more impressive 602kN, or 4690kW if you prefer.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 18:06:24 »

Ah, kN is a measure of a Force, which was usually expressed as Tractive Effort for a steam locomotive.  Power is Force X Velocity, so the loco with the highest TE is not necessarily the one with the highest power output.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 18:07:23 »

According to my my sources, the Midland's 2290 (Lickey Banker) at 192.6kN beat a Princess Coronation's 180kN. However, the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) P2 turned out 193.3kN. As far as I can see, nothing ever beat that in the UK (United Kingdom).

All of these look a bit weedy in comparison with a Union Pacific 'Big Boy' though - they churned out a somewhat more impressive 602kN, or 4690kW if you prefer.

Hmmm ... 69999 @ 324kN ... according to Wikipedia

It was both the longest and the most powerful steam locomotive ever to run in Britain.

No chance on the St Blazey table, then?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:10:18 »

The Lickey banker or the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) Garrett were hardly express locos. isn't drawbar horse power a better indication.

From Wikipedia the P2 pulled 6 tons or 2000 hp. 

From Wikipedia re Duchess Even though the load was 610 long tons (680 short tons; 620 t), the train was propelled up the climbs to the summits at Shap and Beattock at unprecedented speeds. Drawbar horsepower (the power conveyed directly to the 20 coach train) was frequently over 2,000 hp (1,500 kW) and a maximum of 2,511 hp (1,872 kW) was recorded. This remains the official British record for a steam locomotive to this day. Because there were unmeasured variables, the horsepower at the cylinders could only be estimated; Cecil J. Allen thought it to be 3,333 hp (2,485 kW) whilst O. S. Nock was more conservative at 3,209 hp (2,393 kW).[90][91]

Churchward's standard for express locos was 2 tons at 70mph.

Which group are they talking about as there 2 groups trying to recreate a P2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:22:19 by eightf48544 » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 09:32:15 »

This is the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, which operates Tornado.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 15:05:40 »

They've already built a crank axle.

Now they just have to put this into the DNA regeneration machine (as seen in "The Fifth Element"), and 3-D printing does the rest.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 17:56:12 »

A bit more than just the crank axle !..
See below
  https://www.p2steam.com/category/news/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:11:47 »

A bit more than just the crank axle !..
See below
  https://www.p2steam.com/category/news/

I followed the link and thought I'd entered a parallel universe - the heading says "May has been hugely successful". Then I realised they were talking about the month, not the Prime Minister.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 19:38:18 »

A splendid project, and looking at the amount of work completed, likely to be running in not many years time.

Subject to a proper testing and inspection regime, I very much hope that network rail permit it to run routinely at 90MPH, and perhaps faster still.

Will we ever see the record held by Mallard broken by a newly built steamer ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 22:15:14 »

A splendid project, and looking at the amount of work completed, likely to be running in not many years time.

Subject to a proper testing and inspection regime, I very much hope that network rail permit it to run routinely at 90MPH, and perhaps faster still.

Will we ever see the record held by Mallard broken by a newly built steamer ?

Would like to think so  Smiley
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 16:29:07 »

I'm never quite sure why new steam loco's are being built when so many are still rusting in sidings or out of service for repairs, although I understand the gaps in LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) preservation and the temptation to a "Men's Shed" project.

As the real aim is to provide for steam excursions, it might be better to invest in service exchange units for existing loco classes where numerous examples exist of the same classes. We have multiple LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948), GWR (Great Western Railway) and SR(resolve) express loco's and it would surely make sense (for main line certified units at least) to have a fresh boiler, re-tyred wheels, motion etc ready to exchange on withdrawal, avoiding the 10-year turn-round.

I realise that many owners are involved but the buzz words are availability and cost.

Perhaps I'm happier with EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s

OTC
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 17:06:00 »

Perhaps I'm happier with EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s

Maybe so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvQ0P3QFIw

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: