Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:59:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 61243 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2017, 10:35:43 »

So he's become aware of the delays and unreliability, yet hasn't amended his travel plans to get an earlier service to sign on.

Were I a potential employer, I would be concerned that Mr Brindle hadn't found himself able to adjust his personal plans and invest an extra 40 minutes to ensure he was on time when it became clear to him there was a problem.  It could be that there are issues that prevented him from travelling earlier - for example having to drop off the little one at childcare, but if that were the case it would raise concerns about his taking this story to the media.

I'm very conscious that we don't invade passenger's personal space and issues here. However, by going to ITV Mr Brindle has put himself and his situation in the public domain.  Should he happen to read this, he is very welcome indeed to sign up, fill us in, comment ... as always with this sort of media thing, our story might not be complete.

Two points - firstly, a customer, whether he is employed or not and irrespective of their personal circumstances, should not have to fit his schedule around the daily failure of GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide the service that they are advertising, however the sentiment typifies the attitude of the railways and their cheerleaders towards the travelling public.

Secondly, and in respect of the Press article, GWR have not "invested in a fleet of Turbo trains", they have just moved a few 20+ year old trains from one area to the other, judging by the reaction of some to this, it would seem to be akin to a visitation from the Messiah. 
John R

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2017, 11:15:02 »

Two points - firstly, a customer, whether he is employed or not and irrespective of their personal circumstances, should not have to fit his schedule around the daily failure of GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide the service that they are advertising, however the sentiment typifies the attitude of the railways and their cheerleaders towards the travelling public.

I agree a customer should not have to, but ultimately it is the employee's responsibility to present themselves to work on time. And in the case in question, with an appointment time past noon, it's unlikely that childcare arrangements would prevent him taking an earlier train.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2017, 11:25:09 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are providing an unreliable service and our collective answer here is to question how the person highlighting this lives his life?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2017, 12:31:05 »

As has been noted, Mr Brindle has put his personal situation into the public domain, and thus I think discussion is reasonable.

As an employee for over 30 years I have made it my responsibility to get to work on time, because it is what my employers would expect, and indeed what most employers would expect. That isn't to say that there have been unforeseeable situations whereby I have been late, but where on the balance of probabilities there has been a risk of delay, I have made the appropriate adjustments. If I were in his situation, I would get an earlier train until such time as it appeared that the problems were resolved.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2017, 13:11:44 »

In theory, people should not have to adjust their lives to compensate for the regular inefficiency of the railway.
Back in the real world, if continued employment, or continued receipt of benefits is at risk due to regular railway failures, then yes it would be prudent to allow a generous safety margin when travelling on todays railway.

One of the reasons that I left London was the poor and subjectively worsening public transport. I had the choice of southern/thameslink, which was relatively quick but so unreliable that I had to take the train prior to the one that should have got me to work. There was of course no question of getting a seat after the new shorter trains were introduced.

There was also the risk of being trapped for hours when everything stopped due to signalling improvements.

Alternatively, I could take the bus. This was cheaper and less stressful but very slow. I always got a seat on the bus, but only because I boarded at the second stop. After the first few stops the bus reached GWR (Great Western Railway) standards of overcrowding. Each year the bus journey took slightly longer, due to ever increasing road blocking and traffic obstructing schemes.

So yes, I had to plan my life around the inefficiencies of the public transport system, as do many others.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2017, 17:42:54 »

In theory, people should not have to adjust their lives to compensate for the regular inefficiency of the railway.
Back in the real world, if continued employment, or continued receipt of benefits is at risk due to regular railway failures, then yes it would be prudent to allow a generous safety margin when travelling on todays railway.

One of the reasons that I left London was the poor and subjectively worsening public transport. I had the choice of southern/thameslink, which was relatively quick but so unreliable that I had to take the train prior to the one that should have got me to work. There was of course no question of getting a seat after the new shorter trains were introduced.

There was also the risk of being trapped for hours when everything stopped due to signalling improvements.

Alternatively, I could take the bus. This was cheaper and less stressful but very slow. I always got a seat on the bus, but only because I boarded at the second stop. After the first few stops the bus reached GWR (Great Western Railway) standards of overcrowding. Each year the bus journey took slightly longer, due to ever increasing road blocking and traffic obstructing schemes.

So yes, I had to plan my life around the inefficiencies of the public transport system, as do many others.

No need to quote the real world at me Broadgage, I've been coping with GWR's (and their predecessors) versions of it for many years - your points however do serve to illustrate why the car remains a far, far better and more reliable option, and any pretence that the railways have to supersede it as a realistic option are a mere pipe dream.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2017, 18:29:08 »

your points however do serve to illustrate why the car remains a far, far better and more reliable option, and any pretence that the railways have to supersede it as a realistic option are a mere pipe dream.

My current commute by car can take from 20 mins to 90 mins depending what time I start. Those delays can be no different to that of the train.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2017, 18:33:53 »

Yes - I wouldn't doubt your experience, TG, but you can't extrapolate it everywhere. Whatever indignities Thames, FGW (First Great Western) and GWR (Great Western Railway) have visited upon us in Charlbury over the years, in aggregate the train has been far more reliable than Wolvercote and Peartree roundabouts.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2017, 20:04:55 »

your points however do serve to illustrate why the car remains a far, far better and more reliable option, and any pretence that the railways have to supersede it as a realistic option are a mere pipe dream.

My current commute by car can take from 20 mins to 90 mins depending what time I start. Those delays can be no different to that of the train.

Do you ever find yourself so overcrowded in your car that you spend the entire journey standing wedged between other people for over an hour? Or confined in similar conditions in over 100 degree heat because there is no working aircon or open windows?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2017, 20:51:02 »

Do you ever find yourself so overcrowded in your car that you spend the entire journey standing wedged between other people for over an hour? Or confined in similar conditions in over 100 degree heat because there is no working aircon or open windows?

I've an MPV so lots of room, and ice cold climate control

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2017, 22:32:26 »

...your points however do serve to illustrate why the car remains a far, far better and more reliable option, and any pretence that the railways have to supersede it as a realistic option are a mere pipe dream.

Has anybody on here ever suggested that the train always trumps the car?  The car wins in some situations, the train in others, just as a plane, bicycle or good old fashioned walk can be the best option.

The fact journey numbers have more than doubled over the last twenty years, far more than the population increase over the same time period, indicates the train has become the best option for more people and more journeys, but of course it's never going to replace the car.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:12 »

...your points however do serve to illustrate why the car remains a far, far better and more reliable option, and any pretence that the railways have to supersede it as a realistic option are a mere pipe dream.

Has anybody on here ever suggested that the train always trumps the car?  The car wins in some situations, the train in others, just as a plane, bicycle or good old fashioned walk can be the best option.

The fact journey numbers have more than doubled over the last twenty years, far more than the population increase over the same time period, indicates the train has become the best option for more people and more journeys, but of course it's never going to replace the car.

I think you're missing the point - journey numbers have indeed more than doubled but you're confusing two issues -  reliability, capacity, cleanliness, customer service etc have nowhere near kept pace - the usage of something increasing doesn't necessarily indicate that it's the "best" option, for a large number of people it has been, and remains, the only option, and that allows the Rail Industry to get away with a great deal, including attitudes like "well you'd better leave home an hour earlier" in response to the issue of reliability/punctuality causing people problems reaching work, appointments etc on time rather than getting it's own house in order in respect of increasing punctuality and reliability.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2017, 10:34:15 »

Who from the railway industry has ducked responsibility and said it's up to the passenger travelling to get an earlier train?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2017, 10:45:46 »

Who from the railway industry has ducked responsibility and said it's up to the passenger travelling to get an earlier train?

I've cited an attitude, not a statement. There is a difference.

One is implicit, the other is explicit.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2017, 11:25:05 »

There are two separate points here, and it's important not to confuse them.  The first is should the railway run a reliable service, and I am sure we are all in agreement that it should.

The second point is what attitude and personal responsibility people adopt when faced with a situation whereby the service is flakey on a regular basis (as experienced out of our region by many Southern commuters for the last year unfortunately). The person seeking work who was complaining to the media appeared to take the view that he wasn't going to change his approach, and if he was late for his appointment then so be it. Other courses of action are possible, even if they involve a bit more effort of personal inconvenience, and they may be more symptomatic of a work ethic and attitude that is likely to encourage prospective employers to take him on. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: