Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 09:43:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[68] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Cornish delays
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minister's Rail Firm Concern  (Read 3849 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2008, 17:48:00 »

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=180730&command=displayContent&sourceNode=227209&contentPK=19954125&folderPk=106757&pNodeId=227220

More mutterings against FGW (First Great Western) from the corridors of power though its just mere saber rattling as they know that taking the franchise off First would be a disaster so it won't happen.

Worth scrolling to the bottom of the article as a comment made by one of the chronicle's readers (not me BTW (by the way)) makes interesting reading stating 8 points as to why its down to DFT (Department for Transport) that things are in the state that they got into. First don't escape entirely without some blame though.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 05:59:22 »

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=180730&command=displayContent&sourceNode=227209&contentPK=19954125&folderPk=106757&pNodeId=227220

More mutterings against FGW (First Great Western) from the corridors of power though its just mere saber rattling as they know that taking the franchise off First would be a disaster so it won't happen.

Worth scrolling to the bottom of the article as a comment made by one of the chronicle's readers (not me BTW (by the way)) makes interesting reading stating 8 points as to why its down to DFT (Department for Transport) that things are in the state that they got into. First don't escape entirely without some blame though.

7) is incorrect as the London-Reading corridor will be getting new stock. Its the Bristol area that will be receiving second-hand carriages.

The rest of the points have merit, but it obviously depends on your viewpoint.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:03:28 »

Funny how it's the word 'refreshed' used far more nowadays....
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:25:41 »

They have ruined the intercity trains by making them cramped without hardly any tables for families with their recent refurbishment.

Cramped what's he on about I'm a biggish and I don't find them cramped and I know a a bloke nearly seven foot tall and he seems to fit in quite nice.

and their hidious livery are their fault

funny in it that the people of the industries press find both the 'refreshed' HST (High Speed Train)'s and the new Livery as one of the best things about FGW (First Great Western). Dynamic Grin
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:31:30 »

They have ruined the intercity trains by making them cramped without hardly any tables for families with their recent refurbishment.

Cramped what's he on about I'm a biggish and I don't find them cramped and I know a a bloke nearly seven foot tall and he seems to fit in quite nice.

and their hidious livery are their fault

funny in it that the people of the industries press find both the 'refreshed' HST (High Speed Train)'s and the new Livery as one of the best things about FGW (First Great Western). Dynamic Grin

I'm 98% sure that the Industries Press travel around FIRST CLASS.

But then what else can be said to be good about FGW?

I'm not alone in thinking there should be more tables in standard class HST carriages, even if there is LESS leg room at tables when occupied both sides, and the new livery is better than the old, but ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))), Southern, SWT (South West Trains), Virgin even Grand Central have a better exterior livery than FGW.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:52:50 »

Personal opinion there smokey!

FGW (First Great Western) is my favourite!
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:50:25 »

Depends if you like pretty swirly lines Liam.

After all, the solution to most Great Western problems prior to taking over Wessex were just reliverying and saying "it's all change" - oh, hang on, they're still doing it with Wessex livery to FGW (First Great Western) livery....  Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 17:37:14 »

I'd say FGW (First Great Western) aren't one of the "waste your money on livery" groups, after start of the franchise at least. Look at NX!

NXEC (National Express East Coast), One changing - NXEA (National Express East Anglia)! Make your mind up...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 22:15:10 »

The FGW (First Great Western) livery is a disgrace (especially on the Thames Turbos- yuck!). When another company takes over (be it 20 years!!!!) the first thing they will do is strip those bloody dynamic lines off, and (in the case of the Turbos) put a brighter colour on! Take a look at LM (London Midland - recent franchise)'s new one, the Virgin one - some imagination!!!! And Govia have not splashed the same on all their companies!

The NX livery is dreadful. It is bland, boring and will get dirty.

And capitalise "national express!!!!!!" That is one thing I like about First. It is "First," not "first."

As I have posted before, livery changes are a waste of money and should be banned. Keep the liveries, just slap on the company name when they take over. Give the UK (United Kingdom) network an integrated feel, even if it is fragmented!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 22:18:30 »

I love liveries.
You get to see weird and wacky trains.
FGW (First Great Western) livery is the best IMO (in my opinion).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 23:39:47 »

Actually, qprrule, I agree.  Just look at the St Ives Bay Belle -

You get to see weird and wacky trains.

All that lovely light blue: just so practical on a diesel train???

Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:05:24 »

I really don^t think the current livery on the regional stock is quite distinctive enough, yes a neat idea to play with the corporate livery but something a little more dramatic would have set them apart. How about inverting the main scheme, make the doors blue and overall the pink from the doors?

Although I suspect you would need sunglasses to look at it.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 14:43:25 »

Livery is something that is always down to personal opinion, personally I think the units look quite smart in their new livery, it's actually grown on me though, didn't think much of it at first.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: